Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reusing patches on different tracks

So this is obviously subjective. And should also probably be in the official stupid questions thread... But:

What do people feel about reusing the same patches on different tracks? Lazy and makes all your stuff sound like the same track? Or good practice so as to give your music "your sound"?

I'm thinking specifically, for example, across the same album.

I'm thinking if you've spent ages getting a sub bass patch perfect, why not use it again and again? Or... I have my own synth strings patch that I love so much and nothing else I come up with seems to come close, but I feel bad using it on multiple tracks.

Reusing drum samples is another obvious one.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. What do 'pro' artists do?

Comments

• I think some use of the same sounds can help give your music an identity, particularly if you have worked on a few sounds that are unique to you. After all, certain guitarists and keyboard players (and bass players too) have their certain signature sound. But I would try to mix it up a bit too, and not have the same blend of sounds all the time, or you risk it all sounding the same. But some re-use of your individual sounds - absolutely!

• I think any form of repetition is needed in music, but balancing it so the end results aren't boring or don't have a center is the key.

• Strat worked fine for Jimi.

That's not house music though.

Ask Oscar G. or Federico Franchi

Works for them.

If the patch is really original and complex in its formulation and modulations, I don't see an issue.

In reality, end up trying to find another patch that sounds just like it based on some "rule" or "principal"

• I rarely remember to save my patches so it's not an issue.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    What do people feel about reusing the same patches on different tracks? Lazy and makes all your stuff sound like the same track? Or good practice so as to give your music "your sound"?

I'm thinking specifically, for example, across the same album.

It's funny you should ask this. For 20+ years I've had a project in mind in which I create a drum kit and 3 very distinct, expressive synth patches, and then make an entire album with just those instruments. So, in programming parlance, I view it as a feature rather than a bug.

• Absolutely nothing wrong with reusing Sounds...only Geeks will have a problem with it, especially those who don't finish songs.

Music is not about painting in numbers.

• edited August 2015

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 Please. Lieutenant. It's not the sound (especially when we're talking about a bass!), but what line you're playing, what rhythm, what melody. It's your sound. Have at it.

Oh, and also, what the hell? The very fact that you're thinking about it means that the chances of you deciding you're using something 'too much' will happen several albums before your loyal audience does.

Oh, and also, what the hell? You've designed a great patch, but you use it in an average song. That's it? Off the table? NO. It's in your arsenal. It's yours. When you write something for SOTMC November that's the best thing you've come up with so far, and if that's the best sound for the job, you use it. Bang. No discussion.

Oh, and also, what the hell?

:)

Yeah. S'true. I just got back from running down to Round Pound and back (7 miles, hills, swearing at the moose); pumped and more assertive than usual :) Forgive me....

• I think it's OK. Back in the 80's a lot of people were using the same Fairlight factory sounds and later Proteus patches.