Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

advice on creating a solid talk box effect

I have a quick question,

What's a good combination of apps or settings that I can setup to create a talk box effect like with EHX Talking Machine.

I'm aware of Squawk box on ToneStack and Cubasis Talkbox... but i can't get it to "yap"

Comments

• I dont know exactly what you mean with "Talkbox" , but maybe apps like Harmony Voice, Ivoxel or Voice Synth might help.

• Thanks Proto... Here's what i was talking about... a vowel formant filter

• You mean the radio/telephone voice fx?

• edited July 2015

I was wondering too. A google search on "EHX Talking Machine" brought up some good info. (edit: like the yt video posted above while I composed this comment here)

So dredakyst, Turnado has some vowel filter effects that most likely would do what you want. I haven't tested it extensively. I do know that you can dive into the settings and Turnado has seemingly endless tweaks, all of which can be MIDI controlled... so an expression pedal could be used however you like.

• Bebot has a solid vowel formant option!

• Looptical has a formant filter in its effects.

• thanks ya'll I will play around with those and see what i can come up with... i'll plug my bass into those apps and see what happens

• edited July 2015

If you don't want to morph between the vowels and just make it say aaaaa or ooooo a simple graphic eq/parametric eq will do, just look up the frequencies on Wikipedia.
    a high and a low pass filter works, too. As well as 4 bandpass filter. Have fun.

• Hey @dredakyst you've got me very interested. Can you share the preset if/when you've finally found it? Cheers

• edited July 2015

@dredakyst said:

By the same guys who make Turnado (already mentioned by @Hmtx) you have WOW, that definitely does vowel as well.

• edited July 2015

A while ago I was playing around with Egoist and wanted to include some computerized harsh hard-rock "singing"; ended up using WOW for that (you can do less harsh things as well). If you want to listen to some WOW stuff, it begins at around 0:50 on the following draft track. Everything was done and mastered on the iPad.

• edited July 2015

I’d be interested to know of which apps can act as filters and have three separate band pass filters that can be serialised and ganged.

• ^ Turnado has 8 fx slots. Stick a filter in each slot? I think they are serialized, but I'm not sure. What is ganged?

• @u0421793 said:
    I’d be interested to know of which apps can act as filters and have three separate band pass filters that can be serialised and ganged.

Not technically an app but Volcano can be up to 4 filters

• Damnit @firejan82 I've been doing my best to resist Volcano .... seeing that today of all days is not helping! : n )

• WOW Filters? It has a set of vowel-formants.

• @u0421793 said:

U'd need them to be parallel not in a serial...

• Pocket Talkbox looks pretty cool:

• i bet it isn't AB compatible

• It is not. I just wrote to the developer asking to include it.

• Robot setting on voice plus is great no ab or iaa just export

• I know this doesn't help, but I programmed this effect in jam synth but haven't got around to putting it out yet because of other projects. It can work with mic input or built in vowels like the ehx pedal.

• @lala said:

Ah, that’s true.

• @dreamless said:
    I know this doesn't help, but I programmed this effect in jam synth but haven't got around to putting it out yet because of other projects. It can work with mic input or built in vowels like the ehx pedal.

Go for it ! A keen prospective user here.

• I want it to work with the iOS speech synthesizer but theres no way to do it at this point

• @supadom said:
    Hey dredakyst you've got me very interested. Can you share the preset if/when you've finally found it? Cheers

will do!

• @AndyX said:
    A while ago I was playing around with Egoist and wanted to include some computerized harsh hard-rock "singing"; ended up using WOW for that (you can do less harsh things as well). If you want to listen to some WOW stuff, it begins at around 0:50 on the following draft track. Everything was done and mastered on the iPad.

solid sir!

• @dredakyst Did you find anything that works for you? I've been on the search for a app-based talk box for a long time. I'd love to find something that either is influenced by pitch (like the video you posted) or somehow links to a mic input while I am playing my guitar.

• @fprintf have you looked into Sparkle - Advanced Cross-Synthesis by apeSoft? It could do what you want if it used two live audio inputs instead of one live and one recorded. DFX - Digital Multi-FX by Fingerlab has a formant effect and can be bpm sync'd, you'd have one audio chain be your guitar and the other be a mixture of guitar and mic processed through DFX (I'm not so confident this solution would work for what you want). Another alternative would be to use a modular app like Audulus or Analog kit and create your own effect which mixes the guitar and vocal signals together like Sparkle. A third solution might be to run a mixed vocal/guitar signal through ToneStack pedals (not so sure but worth a try if you already have ToneStack).