Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Finishers: How much of your work is done in iOS (poll)?

To what degree do you use iOS apps to arrive at your "finished" product?

iOS usage in final product
  1. What aspects of your music creation are 100% iOS?43 votes
    1. ALL — Instruments, DAW, Mastering
      46.51%
    2. Instruments, DAW (but not Mastering)
        6.98%
    3. Instruments (but not DAW or Mastering)
        9.30%
    4. Instruments, Mastering (but not DAW)
        0.00%
    5. DAW, Mastering (but at least some non-iOS instruments)
      13.95%
    6. DAW (but at least some non-iOS instruments and not Mastering)
        0.00%
    7. Mastering (but at least some non-iOS instruments and not DAW)
        0.00%
    8. No aspects are 100% iOS, but I still make finished songs
      13.95%
    9. I just dabble in iOS music-making for fun
        9.30%

Comments

• You need another option -
    some tracks all iOS, some tracks iOS integrated into a studio set up

• edited July 2015

@xen said:
    You need another option -
    some tracks all iOS, some tracks iOS integrated into a studio set up

For the purpose of this poll, if the answer is "some," then you are not 100% iOS for that part. If you are not using iOS 100% of the time for mastering, for example, then answer accordingly.

• Curious as to why? I just voted 7 as i use my iPad more as an fx unit and am planning to try some 'mastering' with it.

• 110% iPad :).

Have never known anything different. Auria + plugins does everything I need on the mixing / mastering side at the moment.

• @musikmachine said:
    Curious as to why? I just voted 7 as i use my iPad more as an fx unit and am planning to try some 'mastering' with it.

I am not yet a song finisher, but I am striving to become one in August. I have some external instruments, but for multitrack recording, mixing, and mastering, I want to be 100% iOS. When I finish my first song, I will answer "DAW, Mastering (but at least some non-iOS instruments)".

I thought that this topic might be interesting for forum members to see how many others are "like them" in their use of iOS.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    110% iPad :).

Heh, I love it!

• Sometimes I use the iPad to do everything, othertimes it might only be used as a synth. Sometimes I finish songs without using the iPad at all. I answered 7 as that's the closests for me, but still seems like sort of a weird question.

I'd be surprised if people were using a desktop/laptop for everything except mastering though....

• edited July 2015

@Tarekith said:
    Sometimes I use the iPad to do everything, othertimes it might only be used as a synth. Sometimes I finish songs without using the iPad at all. I answered 7 as that's the closests for me, but still seems like sort of a weird question.

I'd be surprised if people were using a desktop/laptop for everything except mastering though....

Yeah, this question won't resonate with everyone. Thanks for answering anyway. The mastering only option was included just for posterity (to cover every permutation).

• edited July 2015

Everything except for guitar and effects pedals for my last few projects. I normalise in Audacity before uploading to the web though ... I like to do a final test listen in Audacity.

• The other thing that inspired this question was my purchase yesterday of the sale-priced "Audio Mastering Series" bundle (US: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/audio-mastering-series/id945960166?mt=8). Haven't tried any of them out yet; went purely on the consistently high reviews.

I'm trying to build out a complete set of tools for finishing songs on the iPad. I had nothing mastering-oriented until this purchase.

• @thus -- wise purchases! I've learned a lot more about sound recording from trying to understand audio mastering...both the app and the job. It's like I had to go back, before I could move forward. My only advice is to treat the new tools gently and you'll be rewarded.

• Yep. They are both really good.

• edited July 2015

Still learning this mastering part.I use Final Touch and got nice results. I mean it sounds better then it was before and it is easy to use with lots of presets for all music styles to study or tweak.

• @TozBourne said:
    thus -- wise purchases! I've learned a lot more about sound recording from trying to understand audio mastering...both the app and the job. It's like I had to go back, before I could move forward. My only advice is to treat the new tools gently and you'll be rewarded.

I appreciate the advice. I have a lot to learn too.

@Proto said:
    Still learning this mastering part.I use Final Touch and got nice results. I mean it sounds better then it was before and it is easy to use with lots of presets for all music styles to study or tweak.

Final Touch was on my short list. Honestly, it was a toss-up. Thanks for the recommendation.

• @thus said:

For me it was also a toss-up and suddenly FT was only 99cent introduction price and the decission was made :)

• @Proto said:
    For me it was also a toss-up and suddenly FT was only 99cent introduction price and the decission was made :)

Ha! There's something about that $0.99 price. If it's a music or audio app with excellent reviews and costs $0.99, it's just been bought by me.

• I would up that to $3.99. Excellent reviews and that price I'm sold.

• @mkell424 said:
    I would up that to $3.99. Excellent reviews and that price I'm sold.

And let's not forget the psychological element of something being "on sale." I know I'm being irrational, but I will pay more for app X than app Y if app X is heavily discounted. Even if they do the same thing.

• edited July 2015

@thus said:
    I am not yet a song finisher, but I am striving to become one in August. I have some external instruments, but for multitrack recording, mixing, and mastering, I want to be 100% iOS. When I finish my first song, I will answer "DAW, Mastering (but at least some non-iOS instruments)".

There is no strive.

• @thus said:
    And let's not forget the psychological element of something being "on sale." I know I'm being irrational, but I will pay more for app X than app Y if app X is heavily discounted. Even if they do the same thing.

Yeah I'm terrible with the sale thing. Also if it is for a short period of time. I feel like I'm really missing the boat if I don't buy it. Just now PSP put their plugins including the famous Vintage Warmer on sale for a couple of days. Bastards! :)

http://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=1166

• I wonder if that goes for psp plugins inside Auria too?

• @thus said:

Better to look good and lose than to look bad and win.

• @thus said:
    Ha! There's something about that $0.99 price. If it's a music or audio app with excellent reviews and costs $0.99, it's just been bought by me.

Ok i just checked and the price was 4,49 euro instead of 99 cent . Still a nice discount price. I paid 0.89 cent for Magella and Tonestack.

• 100% iPad/iPhone here. I make field recordings on my iPhone, chop 'em in BeatmakerII; apply soft-synths & drum machines like Nave & Seekbeats, track my bass guitar, mix & master in Auria. example-

• edited July 2015

When I make music on my iPad it's just iPad.. I like the challenge.

I do however make sounds loops and my own samples with the iPad and export/ import to my desktop set-up.. For example I'm soon making a Reason refill out of made Impaktor sounds.. This will be very useful in my desktop productions.

BTW this my recent track ( 100% iPad) the only one that got no comments in creations :(

• I use my laptop for collecting dust and paying bills since i bought an ipad air two years ago.

• @RUncELL said:
    When I make music on my iPad it's just iPad.. I like the challenge.

Absolutely...the more limitations I have, the more productive I am.

• edited July 2015

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    110% iPad :).

Same here. Born and bred on the iPad. On some very few occasions, from the iPad app I ended up buying a Mac version from the same dev (e.g. MTS), but never really got to use that.

That being said, for some reason, I tend to gravitate more towards apps from devs that adopt this multi-platform approach. Sugar Bytes is another. Even though I don't use the PC / Mac versions, something in me finds it reassuring that, if the need ever arises (or if Apple ever drops the ball badly with the iPad / iOS), I can change platforms easily.