Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumJam 1.3.2 Released!

The latest bug fix and minor feature update is now live (might take the usual few hours to propagate). Here are the official update notes:

• Added option to ignore IAA sync
  • Optimized for iPhone 6 and 6+
  • Improved round-robin velocity behavior
  • Added option to set position of Audiobus control panel
  • Added Quantize Tap option, which quantizes all pad instrument taps to next selected rhythmic boundary.
    Quantized tap can also be applied to incoming midi notes (optionally ignored in prefs), and stop hits.
  • Added Choke Decay control, which affects % of sample duration

• Fixed Audiobus “port unavailable” connection issue, and updated to latest SDK

• Fixed possible crash when starting up with midi device attached
  • Fixed missing note off messages when sending MIDI using pads

We also added several new IAP sound packs, be sure to check them out in the Drum Store within the app:

LATIN PACK -
Timbales Loops. Timbales, Conga, Tumba, Quinto, and Congas Set pad instruments

BRAZIL AND WOOD PACK -
Pandeiro, modified Berimbau, Earth Udu, and Repinique Loops. Granite
block pad instrument.

AFRICAN PACK -
Brekete, Kaganu, Kpanlogo, and Talking Drum Loops, along with Talking
Drum pad instrument

ASIAN METAL AND BAMBOO PACK -
Thai Rumwong, Vietnamese Hmong brass harp, Thai gong, and Chinese gong
loops. Anklung pad instrument.

MIXED WORLD PACK -
Pineapple lid req, Bulgarian Tupan loops. Paulo Mattioli Djembe, Remo
cluster, Garrapatta bells pad instruments.

MULTI BONGO PACK -
Indian Bongos, Piccolo Bongos Loops. Indian Bongos, Piccolo Bongos,
Remo Crown Bongos pad instruments.

You might notice that this update does not contain some of the most requested features (custom kits, sample import, recorded loop playback, etc).... sorry about that! Those are the very first things on the list for the next feature release.

Comments

• edited July 2015

Don't forget to check out @obiwahnkentobi's video detailing some of the featurelets from this release (as posted in another thread here):

• As Mr. Randy Savage would say "Oooh yeeah!"

• Aces! Thank you, Jesse. Not seeing it in the US store yet but looking forward to it.

• Yes, the app store can be slow to update. However, you can get the new IAPs with the previous version now, even before you update...

• edited July 2015

On the quantized input... the video sounds like it's almost quantizing it to a groove template vs hard divisions. Is that the case?

In the tradition of Sonosaurus apps doing more than you pay for: quantized input along with MIDI Out could be used by folks who do live loop triggering but need the loops to always start on the beat. It's a fairly common request on the NanoStudio forum. DJ to the rescue!

PS. Rock Drum Machine seems to have inserted "Drumjam" into its app store search keywords (iPhone search anyway). Boo.

• Brilliant.

Not in UK store yet. But I'll be refreshing.

• Looks like you get that "note off" fix you've been needing, @Matt_Fletcher_2000!

• Good news :) not in the UK store still yet though...

• @thus said:
    Looks like you get that "note off" fix you've been needing, Matt_Fletcher_2000!

Yep. That and the quantise thing are great for me.

The quantise feature is going to be so useful, combined with drumjam's great playability. I've been building some nice Bilbao kits in anticipation.

• In UK store. Just downloading!

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 SOTMC August baby...... :)

• Yep me too :)

• edited July 2015

@syrupcore said:
    On the quantized input... the video sounds like it's almost quantizing it to a groove template vs hard divisions. Is that the case?

No, it is just a natural result of rounding to the next division and human inaccuracy. Kinda cool in practice though! It does take a little getting used to if you are trying to hit specific beats because you have to always anticipate it and tap a little ahead.

• edited July 2015

Uh oh, look like there might be crashing bug when trying to make in-app purchase! Let me know if this happens to anyone when you attempt a purchase... it might be false alarm...

• edited July 2015

Not crashed yet and bought two of the new packs :)

Edit: I'm on iOS 8.3

• I'm experiencing a crash with the 1.3.2 update when opening MIDI settings on an iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4. I have to force quit the app and restart. It's happened 3 times in a row.

• edited July 2015

@GRiker said:
    I'm experiencing a crash with the 1.3.2 update when opening MIDI settings on an iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4. I have to force quit the app and restart. It's happened 3 times in a row.

What other apps do you have running at the time? If you have to force quit, does that mean it freezes up rather than closing? Try a device power-off, power-on and start DrumJam up first thing and see if it still happens.

• Wow.

That is one amazing update.

Just spent the last half a hour live drumming away to a half finished track in Gadget. DrumJam sending Midi to Bilbao so I could have recorded the whole thing into Gadget's piano roll (the holy grail).

The quantisation is spot on. Revolutionary really.

The one tiny thing that could be in another update is allowing the repeat to be able to be set slower (down to quarter notes) because I need that sometimes. My workaround is to set DrumJam at half the BPM of gadget - but it means I can't sync start them - I have to get them running in sync by ear otherwise Gadget halves in speed too.

Anyway, midi note off works a treat.

Once I switched off virtual midi in DrumJam it stopped sending Gadget duplicate notes (another issue I noticed). So that's good.

It's not 100% on the lines when sending to Gadget with Gadget's quantise off - but it's not bad. Occasionally a duplicate note seems to be sent. But it's no biggy and can easily be deleted. i didn't notice any 'stuck notes' at all.

All in all pretty amazing. I'm a very happy man.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Matt_Fletcher_2000 SOTMC August baby...... :)

Definitely! It might just be a drum solo.

• Jesse for President! Awesome update!
    Bought a couple of the IAP also....

• Very stable for me!

IOS 8.4 on iPad Air 2/64GB/4G...

• @sonosaurus said:
    What other apps do you have running at the time? If you have to force quit, does that mean it freezes up rather than closing? Try a device power-off, power-on and start DrumJam up first thing and see if it still happens.

I closed all apps, restarted the iPhone, then confirmed no other apps running before starting DJ.

I start DrumJam, go to Settings|MIDI, and the app becomes non-responsive. I can't scroll the screen or tap Settings in the upper left to go back a screen - it's frozen on the MIDI screen. I can double-click the Home button and manually close the app. I went through this sequence twice.

• Very stable for me too. iOS 8.3 Air1.

All new IAPs purchased. Tons to explore.

The Brazil and Wood one sounds fantastic.

I just spent the last 10 mins jamming the cluster drums. Amazing.

• @sonosaurus

I'm experiencing full joy.

One day, please could we have the Repinique as a user instrument? The loops sound so good.

• @sonosaurus I'm sorry, I was just doing my usual glancing around the forum to see what's going on and I saw this update. I had to stop and take a second to tell you how blown away I am at how awesome DrumJam now is. It's always been a favorite drum app since it's release, but I always looked at it like it was ThumbJam's little brother. Tap Quantization has put it in a class of its own, let alone the Choke and the better Velocity improvements. It is amazing to me the things that music apps can now do compared to ThumbJam's early days, and your apps are consistently the best musical instruments on IOS. There, I said it. I'm just trying to say thank you.

• On my iPad 4 running iOS 7 had few quirky things, nothing serious though, loading screen 3/4 size, also the previews of the IAP if you pause them, then listen to another, sometimes they are stuck and won't let you play them again

• Yeah, I'm aware of the startup screen issue on iOS7, oops! And I just discovered the IAP preview bug myself today too.

Another thing to watch out for: the Tap Quantize feature defaults to 16th... I had intended to default that to Off so that it would be equivalent to the old DJ. Kinda forced you to try the feature, but didn't mean to, sorry! You can adjust it pressing the repeat rate button, to get the popup.

• edited July 2015

Agree with all the praise. Just smashing. and it works on yer iPhone too.

Will definitely pick up some IAP content as much as a thank you as a sonic expansion.

• You might notice that this update does not contain some of the most requested features (custom kits, sample import, recorded loop playback, etc).... sorry about that! Those are the very first things on the list for the next feature release.

Just an idea (I could live and love DJ forever without those features)... And I'm not sure if this idea would actually make anything easier but I bet most of us would be very on board with a workflow that had us using Thumbjam to create kits and import samples with some sort of 'Open in Drumjam' button. Again, no idea if that just complicates things but was thinking since those two features already exist in TJ...

• edited July 2015

@syrupcore said:
    Just an idea (I could live and love DJ forever without those features)... And I'm not sure if this idea would actually make anything easier but I bet most of us would be very on board with a workflow that had us using Thumbjam to create kits and import samples with some sort of 'Open in Drumjam' button. Again, no idea if that just complicates things but was thinking since those two features already exist in TJ...

Nah, DJ deserves its own kit creation and customization UI. And TJ needs a completely new one too.