Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playing Sounds of two Apps same time using one Midi Keyboard

Yesterday i played iSymphonic Orchestra then also opened Synthmaster Player, loaded one of Rob Lee's Sound Packs and
i was surprisingly able to play fast Arpeggios Lines of SM and iSymphonic Orchestra together like layered over on my Midi Keyboard.
Left side Keys was the SM Arpeggio Sounds / Samples and Right Side it had only the Isymphonic Strings Notes.
It sounded really brilliant together.
I could also switch Instruments but then suddenly the output stopped after i opened another App
and this doesnt works anymore if i try that again in simply opening two Apps together.

Now i wonder what App might be good to use two Music Apps and Layer them over using 1 Midi Keyboard.
It would be nice to also have an option to split Left Side and Right Side Keys between two Apps.
Audiobus should be supported using Cubasis then as Output for Recording.

I read a bit and so far i see there is

Midi Bridge
Midi Breakout Box
Midi Bus

which seem to offer what i am searching for if i am correct?

Anyone is using one of those Apps for exactly this combining of two Apps Sounds same time and can share some experiances like how it interacts with Audiobus and Cubasis or Auria output ?

Comments

• check out Midi Flow, fairly easy to use and very capable

• edited July 2015

I could be wrong. But couldn't you just assign I.e synth master to track 1 and isymphonic to track 2, set midi in to ch 1 on both apps and record away? Pan track 1 to the left and track 2 to the right? And make sure both apps is set to work in the background. Just set up one lane pr app in audiobus. Wouldn't that do the trick? Maybe I'm missing something hehe

Edit: are you controlling one app with the other?

• Layering should be possible with most synth apps by setting the midi receive to the same channel. BO Box is probably the cheapest way to go for splits.

• HighEscape
    Knowing what keyboard you are using would help. Also, are you running Audiobus or a DAW at the same time? But, what you are describing is a key split, one sound below a certain note and another above.
    The trick is to understand that both the transmitting device and and receiving device require setup.
    Presuming there is nothing in the path between your keyboard and iSymphonic and SM player-
    On the transmit end, some keyboard controllers, certainly pro and most semipro keyboards, support key split internally. Where ever the transmit settings are accessed there will be a split note definition, and what channels the left and right of the split will transmit on.
    If the controller doesn't have this feature, then an option like Midiflow works; you may have to set the master output channel of your controller, but using a midi app you can split the input into a key split using two channels of midi.
    The trick is to set your synth/sound source where to look for notes. It varies from app to app, but each app must be told what channel to listen to. In some cases, what input may be important I.e. Listening to the controller or Midiflow for example.
    Rules kinda change if a DAW is involved, but I hope this helps.

• edited July 2015

Thx to your quick replies :)

Very Thankful for the deeper Tech Infos wigglelights.
    Plan is sure recording in Cubasis.
    I have Korg microKEY 61 and IRIG Pro, nothing special so far.

@Jakersaw
    I do not control one App with another. Just 2 different APP Sounds should be playing sync together.

Only way i could get it to work now together inside Cubasis is to open both Apps per InterApp using same Midi Chan . But this works very good and sounds just amazing having both apps layered.
    Recordings are well without any crackling or skippings.

The goal is sure to separate left side and right side Keys / Notes so i may really need a solution
    for separating as wigglelights explained. ATM having it as Interapp all Keys are used by both Apps.

I will have a closer look at the Panning and the Audiobus Lining way tomorrow..
    I will try out BO BOX and Midi Flow then.

• edited July 2015

fyi - using the keyboard the way you describe - LH on one synth and RH on another - is typically called "splits" so look for that name in the configurations. However, MidiFlow does it differently. Do it something like this to make a split:

• edited July 2015

Thx dwarman for the Screenshot. It is working now :) I had to setup Synthmaster to a different Midi Port , then i limited the Note Range per App in Midiflow and now i have a Left and Rightside App Sound splitting.
    Great!

Is there a Way i can decide that for example the rightside keys are using the same Key Notes then on the left side keys so the Note Range is the same then so its half / half or is it always limited in Leftisde deeper notes then rightside higher ? Now i will Test how it behaves using Audiobus and Cubasis.

• Try increasing the note shift for the left-hand part in 12-tone steps.

• Glad it's all working out!

For the note range question - I believe in Midiflow look for "Note Shift" and raise or lower by 12 or 24 to move the transmit octave up and down. Also, some synth apps allow transposing the incoming midi notes as well.

You cool with getting cubasis to record both channels?