Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What made you switch to iOS for music?

Or start your production life using iOS first?

Obviously this thread suits those who use iOS apps only the best..

I had a custom pc with a ton of software on it and it crashed in 2008. I was gifted an iPod touch shortly after and despite music apps being primitive at first, I saw the potential.

So I just stuck with iOS...

Then I got iPad 1 on first day of release in USA and things just went from there!

Now I cannot use any kind of device unless it's a touchscreen, put me in front of a keyboard and I'm not happy!

So, what got you started?

Comments

• What made me switch to iOS to made music :

1- Touchscreen

2- Price of the apps that allows me to try / experiment and HAVE FUN.

I'm almost as happy with my iPad as I used to be with my Akai MG1214 and all the hardware I had...

• Straight to iPad/iPhone. That Gorrillaz album got me into. I read about how it was made just with sounds from an iPad(2) and thought I'd investigate.

• Bought Figure one day, I did not make music before but Figure looked like fun and it was cheap enough to justify the purchase. And the rest is history...

• A group of graduating seniors bought me an iPod touch in 2010 (I'm a high school English teacher). I too saw the potential and bought an iPad 2 and now have an Air 2. In the 90s, I had a Tascam 4 track portastudio that found its way to a closet after my first child was born. Missed the whole desktop/laptop thing.

• I had a brand new computer which I couldn't move with me due to some circumstances so ended up living with an iPad for my computing needs earlier this year. Did some research and found out that I could do everything I was doing on PC with the iPad with less wires and a smaller footprint and I was sold!

• Convenience. I don't have to leave my music behind when I leave the house. It's a wireless system! I can play my ideas and performances directly into the ipad. I don't have to spend hours wiring everything up to get started. High Quality low cost apps.

• I was tired of looking at the same daw year in year out sitting at a desk with a mouse and a midi keyboard.Just more fun using ios and touchscreen.

• For a long time, I kinda wanted an iPad but couldn't really justify it to myself. Then Animoog launched at a very low cost (£0.99?). And even with cost of an iPad, to get a Moog at such a low cost was too tempting! Since then it is the naturalness of using the touch interface, including musical interfaces that are just not possible with a mouse, that has kept me stuck to IOS.

• I was using my Mac for Music, didn't get the iPad-cult first (what would I need this for?), but was blown away by the appearance of the smart cover, and how it intelligently serves different functions at once. Got the iPad 2 then, and started to realize the potential. It was right then a friend introduced me into improvisational sessions, and I thought: why bring a big setup, let's try what I can do with the iPad. The rest is history, my setup now consists of two iPads and a phone, and I'm scared away by the sight of a keyboard nowadays... . I still need the Mac for video, that I'm normally working with (and for 4-channel-surround), but no more Audio without touch here... .

• I had my iPad2 for some time, for writing on, before I noticed iMS-20 and also GarageBand. The vintage synths in my attic stayed in my attic since I’ve been married, those old dusty wooden things take up too much room (and so do the synths). Music on iOS has a much better WAF (and also with software and apps I don’t have to sneak new gear past the wife, like with my vintage camera collecting quest of the time).

• portability.
    • accessibility. i dont have time to hide in my basement making music. i wanted to be able to workon it whenever i wanted whereever i wanted.

regrets:

• i didnt expect it to be this much of a pain in the arse to move wav files between apps. using audioshare, itunes, dropbox is a real PITA
  • Within the (personal use) context of technology in my lifetime the iPad is the single best invention/object I've come across. For all of the platform/OS wars my interest has always been software, availability and price; and thus, end of story. So far....

We are very lucky bastards, however clunky all this may one day seem. I remember talking to my old and long-gone Nanny (years before home computing appeared) as regards new-fangled objects and she got misty over her memory of the day (in her seventies no less) that her kids bought her an automatic washing machine. She described that thing as the biggest change in her (personal use) life. No longer needing to spend her Mondays going down to the river to beat sheets on the rocks (as it were). All is context.

• Absolutely, the typewriter, too, was a new technology that changed the face of the world as we know it.

• I bought my old iPad 2 specifically so I could run iMS20. After losing interest for a bit Gadget and Audiobus came along which rekindled my things.

I would say the golden era for me was about a year ago, haven't had a particularly productive time recently due to Auria + IAA/Audiobus + anything else chains, but I still prefer it to using a laptop/PC due to it's portability, and the weird and wonderful apps that crop up.

• edited July 2015

Haven't switched, but see the potential. I just haven't had time to really dig in and sort it all out.

Someday.

• Got the iPad to play Eclipse (4X boardgame), then heard about Korg Gadget...

• Convenience. Size. It's so nice to turn it on, and have it ready to go. I find Auria to be the easiest to use DAW that I have tried. And I love the fact that I get all those pro plugins for so cheap. So it has ended up being by far the most complete environment I've had, on top of the ease of use.

• I've always enjoyed making music out in nature, and used to use a Palm TX with Bhajis Loops to sketch out ideas. The iPhone was just a natural progression of that for me, and from there the iPad. More power, more choices, and MUCH easier integration with my other studio gear once I got home.

• Stumbled across Alchemy on my iPhone. All (joyfully) downhill after..

• Already had an iphone, a guitar, and a bunch of korg hardware (electribes, kaossilator, etc) when i got the original irig as a gift.. Wasnt too long until AB was invented and the all the korg apps went on sale..

• Without wishing to sound overly contrary, but I haven't switched (entirely) to iOS for music making...

The portability and convenience of carrying around a small, light music making thing is fantastic, but it's still too time consuming to try to do it all on the iPad. Saying that, I'm currently doing a whole album project in Gadget, so perhaps I'm getting there :)

• My wife bought an iPad 2 and I was skeptical of its value over a laptop. I watched for months as she browsed the web and Facebook so conveniently on the couch, at the kitchen table, etc. A converted man, I bought an iPad 3 and it became my main computer at home. A year later we traded in our Android phones for iPhone 5s's, which then overtook our iPads as our main devices.

Getting serious about hobbyist music-making has been a 2015 thing. The only earlier time I was this engaged with it was 1991-1993. Honestly, I credit the good people on this forum for showing me the potential of 100% iOS for music recording (though I use external instruments as sound sources too). My iPad 3 has a new lease on life.

Now if I can just learn to finish a song, rather than keep starting new ones.

• Ah, the secret to finishing a song is

• @u0421793 said:
    Ah, the secret to finishing a song is

LOL

• @thus said:

SOTMC -----> August ------> You.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    SOTMC -----> August ------> You.

The pressure, ugh, okay, I commit.

• Good man. When I find my imaginary little book I'll put you in it :)

• I've never had a desktop music production setup... the only major music gadget I had was a Roland XP-50. It was a bit of an afterthought when my last flip-phone died and had to be replaced. I opted for an iPhone 5; a buddy of mine had let me play around with Garageband on his iPad and I couldn't make heads or tails of it the time (although I was up for learning more).

So, the iPhone leads to the purchase of GB and soon afterwards I started appreciating the growing world of iOS music-making (it was abundantly clear that Audiobus was key). It was kind of cool how the whole scene opened up and developed in many ways pretty much right before my eyes.

And it was the fact that I have all this music-creation ability in an insanely portable package!

• Built home studio/desktop setup with multiple computers screens etc etc etc. Somehow rarely found the desire/time. iPad 1 and GarageBand lead quickly to IPad 4 + Auria + Audiobus and you know the rest. Replaced a multitude of stuff with a multitude of apps. New apps = energy and inspiration for me.

• When I first launched GarageBand earlier this year. Couldn't believe that I could play (as a non player) distorted smart guitar without the hassle of learning notes & chords. And it sounded alright..........too me anyway.

• no mouse or track pad & it's a quick start up. Off course the relatively low cost of all those luscious apps makes it an even easier choice for moi. Cannot see me picking a laptop up again. Phew!!! No more hot, aching thighs that the big chunk of a metal laptop gave me.

• a forum like this that shares knowledge & gives confidence to "give it a go."

OK @JohnnyGoodyear sign me up as well please. Have the same......not finishing a song, issue. Now I will have to. Yikes!