Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

If you could only have 10 music apps

Thought it would be interesting to think which 10 music apps (only) you would choice for your type of music making.

(Probably good advice for those new to iOS music too).

Mine are:

1. Korg Gadget
  2. AudioShare
  3. Audiobus
  4. DrumJam
  5. TC-Data
  6. Samplr
  7. Auria
  8. TB-Midi Stuff
  9. Thor
  10. Animoog

There's loads of apps I'd miss a lot (Auxy, thumbjam, some FX apps, loopy, sunriser, cyclop, Seekbeats etc etc) but I'd get by and be able to make 95% of what I make now.

This also no disrespect to all the other great apps. Many of those apps have been 'rights of passage' through to what I use now (eg Figure, iKaossilator, steppolyarp, lots of synths and drum machines, audio mastering & master record etc etc) - they're just not particularly part of my setup now.

Im also aware that Gadget and Auria's IAPs are pretty massive advantages and get you a lot of the way there.

I make electronic 'bass' and 'beats' type music by the way.

Be interested in other people's opinions. Remember this isn't supposed to be your 10 favourite apps. This is... "if your entire setup could only involve 10 apps"...

Comments

• edited July 2015

Actually if I wasn't allowed Turnado inside Auria I might have to swap it for Thor or Animoog (probably the latter) - which would be tough. But you get the idea...

• edited July 2015

Auria has all the plugins, so it's like having 10 apps in one :)

1) Auria

2) Audiobus

3) Gadget

4) Tonestack

5) Audioshare

6) Loopy

7) Thumbjam

8) Alchemy

9) Animoog

10) Flying Haggis

1. Auria (with all the plugs I currently own)
    2. Genome
    3. Thor
    4. Mitosynth
    5. Attack
    6. Loopy
    7. FM4
    8. Sector (originally had Egoist here but the most recent Sector update took the crown)
    9. Audioshare
    10. Beat Time!
  • 01-Gadget
    02-Audioshare
    03-Sector
    04-Auria
    05-Nave
    06-Loopy-
    07-Thumbjam
    08-Drumjam
    09-Samplr
    10-Turnado

I would regret all the Apesoft/Amazing noises-
    Aufx-egoist-thesys-cyclop and 100 of other apps

• In no particular order....except for #1.

1. Different Drummer (shocked?)

2. Auria + plugins

3. Audioshare

4. Thumbjam

5. Flux FX

6. Roland Sound Canvas iOS

7. Alchemy

8. Animoog

9. Loopy

10. Audiobus + Remote

• I'm finding it really interesting already. You can glean a lot about how people make music and to some extent what type of music they make..

I can almost hear your sound from your list @CalCutta :)... Particularly the 'Beattime' addition :).

• edited July 2015

Cool thread. Fun to see what peeps arsenal would be with 10 guns.

♪.Auria + Plugs

♪.Bias FX

♪.Bias Amp

♪.Alchemy

♪.SP Electro

♪.ThumbJam

♪.SynthMaster

The next 3, prob. would change bi-weekly, but for right now they are in the 10!

♪.Seline Redux

♪.Diode-108

♪.Johnny

• edited July 2015

♪. Gadget

♪. JampUp or Tonestack w/iStrobosoft

♪. ChordPolyPad

♪. B-Step

♪. TB-Midi

♪. Turnado

♪. Animoog

♪. Thor

♪. iTablaPro

♪. Audioshare

• edited July 2015

A very interesting thread idea..and its not easy to make the choices. A few months ago it would be a bit different as it will be a few months from now, I'm sure:

1) Alchemy

2) DrumJam

3) AudioBus

4) AudioShare

5) Cubasis *

6) Animoog

7) Thor

8) AltiSpace

9) iSymphonic Orchestra

10) Gadget (with Module and iM1...that's 3 total, I know).

• I went with Cubasis over Auria due to MIDI and the included instruments.
  • edited July 2015

As a live performer/singing instructor who does casual recordings every now and then:
    My list in decreasing order of usage/importance (not including Safari/Youtube/Photo apps)

1) Korg Module + Ivory Piano

2) Rock Drum Machine 2

3) Riffr

4) Songsheet

5) Auria

6) Audiobus

7) Thumbjam

8) Arpeggist

9) Dropbox

10) iDoctor Device (for clearing RAM?)

• In certain circumstances I'd sorely miss Auxy (or something to sequence Thor and Animoog with) but I suppose I'd have to sample them (what I do mainly anyway), wait for Auria Pro or rely on my playing skills(!).

I'd also miss Effectrix actually. But could make do with Turnado in Auria.

To be honest I could use IAA instead of Audiobus with the apps I've chosen but that would feel too much like treachery and I'd occasionally miss the multi-lane Audiobus which I used just this morning.

• I'd also have no decent drum synth :(

• @solador78,

So...........I had to borrow your little cool music note thingies. They are neat-o.

Thanx! ;)

• samplr
    drumjam
    cubasis
    idensity
    ipulsaret
    borderlands
    magellan
    sunrizer
    thumbjam
    audiobus

• edited July 2015

radio production is what I've been using my iPad for and Auria is it.

Audioshare

AuFX Peak

AuFX Push

Anytune - makes the list because I can still download YouTube with it and transfer it to Auria

Audiobus - will always make the list

Turnado - even if it's in Auria

Filtatron - =)

Not sure about the last two...

Probably beatmaker2...until Auria Pro

Figure...if u don't like Figure then we probably wouldn't get along haha

I forgot about Altispace...not sure what I'd swap...tough one

• edited July 2015

1.samplr

2.nanostudio

3.wow

4.audiobus

5.gadget

6.audioshare

7.thumbjam

8.egoist

9.impaktor

10.dedalus

They are my big ones

Everything else is gravy

1. Audiobus 2. Audioshare 3.Samplr 4.Loopy 5.Sector 6.Impaktor 7.Turnado ( if could have only one fx app, this would be it) 8. Stagetraxx ( the best backing track player, imo) 9.Nord Beat ( a must have if you own a Nord Drum and I do :) ) 10. iVCS3
  • Forgot to mention Apolli Midi + Metronom, which is my ghetto ios 7 Gadget remote.

1. Cubasis

2. Gadget

3. Audiobus

4. Audioshare

5. iMini

6. Z3TA+

7. Launchpad

8. Attack

9. Sector

10. Final Touch

Writing the list is one thing, but who'd be prepared to delete everything else off their iPad for six months and sticking solely to their list?

• edited July 2015

1.Audiobus

2.iM1

3.DrumPerfect

4.Synthmaster

5.ThumbJam

6.AltiSpace

7.MasterFX

8.AUFX-Dub

9.iGrand

10.n-Track Studio

1. Magic Fiddle
    2. Drums!
    3. Afro Drum
    4. Buddha Machine
    5. Disco fingers
    6. Chromatone
    7. Stryke
    8. I am T-Pain
    9. Tidal
    10. Fart Soundboard

Just kidding!

• @funjunkie27 said:

In no particular order....except for #1.

1. Different Drummer (shocked?), 2. Auria + plugins, 3. Audioshare, 4. Thumbjam, 5. Flux FX, 6. Roland Sound Canvas iOS, 7. Alchemy, 8. Animoog, 9. Loopy, 10. Audiobus + Remote

Holy crap, Russel, you practically wrote my "real" list for me! I'd substitue Cubasis in for Auria, just because I prefer that workflow. But I miss the plug-ins.

• BEEEEEBOT!!!

on 10 iphones. one for each finger

• Great minds?? ;-) I like and use Cubasis a good deal too, but given the limit to 10, I had to go with Auria. I think MTS could be a contender too, but I need to get more familiar with it.

Interesting how #1 turned to a link to all references within AB.

• edited July 2015
    • Bias FX
    • NanoStudio
    • Audiobus
    • Nave
    • MidiFlow
    • MiMix
    • Gadget
    • Samplr
    • Auria
    • AudioShare
  • Audiobus,Guitarism,SoundPrismpro,VoiceRackFX,Thumbjam,Crystalline,Alchemy,Cubasis,GarageBand,and DrumJam.

• AUFX, AudioShare and AudioBus are a given.

1. Caustic
    2. Auxy
    3. Figure
    4. ToneStack
    5. Diode-108
    6. Daedalus
    7. Enkl
    8. IM1
    9. TweakyBeat
    10. Varies...
  • “If you could only have 10 music apps”?

What, instead of the couple of thousand sitting on the iPad2? I’d say I’d get a lot more done. In fact, 10 might be too distracting. 3 might be better. Garageband definitely (possibly only? Considering I just realised today that Logic Pro X directly opens iOS garageband docs that came out via iTunes) and maybe only a couple of other comprehensive synths, like iVCS3 and, er, umm, wait, I’ll get back to you on that.

• For my current project, Just Gadget (plus iM1 and Module) and Final Touch.

Lots of other select apps still there languishing, but hopefully to be used later.

• Sorry to sabotage. Promise to add my list later. Mr. @nic_b_nice. Please tell me about downloading YouTube to Anytune. Do you first convert to MP4 file? What do you do next? I have used clip converter but haven't been able to get it to Audioshare after converting. I have Anytune. If I can get it there then I could record to Audioshare. I'm ignorant in these matters so thanks in advance.