Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I want to do a POOL: play live at GIG only with iOS

A big and Cool Festival call you for play 45 minuts live.
You want to play only with your iOS devices....better if you use only an iPad:
You know that the live can't have interruptions,
Which apps would you use?

Comments

• What kind of music?

• I want know your kind of setup for play live...

• @Sinapsya Of course I use guitarism for live performances all the time but I'm a wee bit biased :)

• edited May 2013

OUTPUT: Loopy of course. Great for live audio performance. I don't know about what to choose if you are doing a EDM/ MIDI sequencing/ knob twisting type of performance.

INPUT: DM1 for stable, easy, clock synced drums

INPUT 2, 3: whatever you want, really.

EFFECTS: depends on what your iDevice can handle and not start acting up and crashing backgrounded apps. For my ipad 2 I would probably leave it blank or load up JamUp XT

And if you have a second iDevice, load up MIDI designer on it to control extra parameters. That is a solid MIDI app, does great for adjusting Loopy track volume, mute, pan, etc.

• I don't play live. I'm too busy commenting here.

• I've done live with four ipads but this was before the BUS entered my life.
    Before, it was GB or NanoStudio with Thumbjam, MorphWiz and Algoriddim's Djay.

Obviously, a lot has changed in the last six months. Four iPads on the BUS? Insane. Currently, just learning to work with two.

• @Hmtx you are able to play 40 minuts only with DM1 and Loopy?
    I think in 40 minuts you must make 5/6 songs (5 min for song), and you must able to change from one to other without silence....

• Before Audiobus I play with Looptastic that take me the possibility to change other song when the first are in play.....but now (with sound trends out of the game) there isn' an App designed for live show, I must use Traktor...or other mix App :(

• Hah, no, I don't think I could keep an audience entertained for 45 minutes looping drums ;-)

Loopy and DM1 seem stable enough to use in a 45 minute show. So I mentioned them as essential apps.

The key is managing your other synth apps so they don't eat up your iPad memory and crash the whole performance. I've had good success with Animoog, which automatically launches as slave to Loopy's master clock BPM. Magellan seems to work well as slave BPM too, but requires a button tap on external MIDI clock every time you launch it. I'm sure some of the other synths are equally solid, but I don't have those to test.

With loopy, you can keep a beat and drone loop going to transition between songs. Also Loopy can change BPM live, meaning you can have loops playing and real-time adjust their playback speed. And I've never had crashes with my Loopy jam sessions. It's really stable.

Disclaimer: my 45 minute live show is me listening to myself perform on the Sofa with an iPad 2 and headphones. I honestly thought your original post was for a hypothetical situation. Do you really have a iOS only gig scheduled? Congrats!

• Surely Reactable is designed with live performance in mind.

• Calculator.

• I'd only include Calculator in a live set when it is the Bus...

• edited May 2013

sounds like electronic music. I wonder about something like electrify into loopy? You could use loopy to capture parts of your live electrify action and have it loop those while you load up another set of sounds in electrify. Then, turn off loopy as you start your next song. Rinse and repeat.

You could actually have loopy running on the phone to do that. You'd need to use hardware connections but that would open up interactive possibilities.

• edited May 2013

Off top of head, I would say Loopy, Protein Der Klang, Looptastic (when it gets on bus) or remixer where you had your specific loops prearranged upfront and planned ahead of time going through LiveFx to alter sound using either phaser, flanger, etc. On top of those loops, you could play any choice of synth, guitar app random noise thing. If you're not a loop guy, definitely having some strong rhythm background so either having pre-recorded drum tracks using BM2 (can DM-1 record) OR using djay (if you know how to dj) and from this rhythmic foundation, you can jam to your heart's delight using drum pads, synths, etc. Oh hey, try using that magic wand or other virtual air instrument for show fx. Also try one of the vj apps that can sync to music (can they) or just try one of our forum member's, vj franz's app, for trippy visual element. if it can sync to music, would be better.

there was this cool vj / music app called synse thag i think where you could play different images that corresponded to diff sounds but you couldnt record your own sounds so that sucked but great concept. maybe they've updated since last year.

oh how could i forget, ive never done this yet but if the surface is stable enough, maybe impaktor but this is risky as any rumble will trigger a sound but this would be cool for live feel and visual element.

good luck!

ps - sleepstream2 (meditation brainwave and creative brainwave) to meditate before show.

• @sebastian I don't know Calculator...can you post a link or video?

• Did anyone catch that episode of Master of the mix where they booted the iPad guy?
    With an "iOS" set there is no room for error- people don't really want to watch someone dancing around with an iPad. It's not entertaining. Plus there is no visuals to let the audience know you are physically doing anything live..
    Long story short, the music has to be HOT, no half stepping!

• yay,can't wait.I would use only ONE soundsource and torture everybody 45 min long:
    https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/the-oscillator/id640819682?mt=8

• edited May 2013

The video of GlitchBreaks maker doing live performance via iPad is pretty good and he moves a lot...Distraub I think it is

• @rhism yes, I know that for rock and acustic Music is different, I ask for elettronic :-)

• Or just ask beardyman!

Isn't he making his own app?

• edited May 2013

@dubhaus - I agree with you and have always felt the need to yawn when I see a performer come up with ONLY a laptop. Not a criticism of the actual music per se but i wouldnt pay $20 to watch somebody push spacebar and return. even electronic music pioneers depeche mode and nine inch nails would use guitars and drums. However, somewhat relating to the other music thread, DJs and specific dance venues (EDM/hip-hop) may be exceptions to this as people go to either dance, hang out with their friends, try to meet chicks, get drunk and chill out, basically all activities where people don't necessarily want to be focusing on any performer but rather on themselves and whatever agenda they have. So in that context, iPhone, ipad, laptop, turntables would actually be more appropriate than an entertaining show. So bigger question is would ppl rather go out and spend money on watching performers or go to a club and focus on themselves and friends or mix of both?

• I'd rather go to a venue with musicians where you can join in with the music making.

• Drum circles are like that. there used to be a bunch all over california. Or some clubs would have nights where ppl just go and everybody would have a jam session. Maybe that could be one ios future. have a place where ppl go to jam with each other and have a mixer and could turn up or down specific performers for their own unique mix?