Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sci-Fi Track: Escape From the Forbidden Planet (instrumental)

Here is the track that started it all, from my first recording session in Gadget, later augmented by guitar and bass via Audiobus into Auria. This is the track that made me decide to try to mix my love for heavy metal with that hi-energy dance stuff the kids are all into these days, even if this particular track is more hip-hop/rap speed.

Rough mix. Meant to be an instrumental. Intended to be the titular concept album's closing track, although there's a chance it could hit the chopping block, as I'm recording more songs than will actually fit on the final. I've received a lot of kindness in response to the "Escape" tracks, and I wanted to drop one more rough mix for any folks that are interested. There's a reason I've been playing with other genres and seemingly sidetracked, but this is still going strong and this is my baby. For what that's worth (ask my kids ;)

All feedback welcome, and thanks again to everyone who's offered feedback, critiques and support. More than once I felt discouraged and thought about tossing the whole lot, but the support I've received here and elsewhere made all the difference ;)

Comments

• l like this... Fallout kind of Scifi :)

• I'm looking to hearing your album be I like you stuff. Are you going to stick to one style or are you going to cover multiple genres like a Beatles album?

• Nice mix of genres and some great guitar work in there too! ;)

• @supadupa555 said:
    l like this... Fallout kind of Scifi :)

Thank you!

@mkell424 said:
    I'm looking to hearing your album be I like you stuff. Are you going to stick to one style or are you going to cover multiple genres like a Beatles album?

Thanks - most of the remaining songs are mostly written. It could go either way, but I'm going to try to stick with "heavy" and "dance" as my guidelines for this album. Of course, there is that one song that's shaping up to be a Rush/Alice Cooper Band/Earth, Wind & Fire/Chicago/Queen/Boston showdown ...

• @AlterEgo_UK From a guy who knows his way around genres and guitar, mighty praise - thanks!

• @eustressor said:
    Rush/Alice Cooper Band/Earth, Wind & Fire/Chicago/Queen/Boston showdown ...

Well I'm looking forward to hearing that! It sounds epic. :-)

• @mkell424 said:

What he said! :)

• @mkell424 said:

I'd better get to work on it, then :)

• I really like the energy on this one. I'd like to hear the harmony guitar riff that comes in early return towards the end. That's a badass riff. Love the wah stuff; you've got some great sounds on those guitars. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I don't hear an escape from the forbidden planet here, which I like. Philosophically speaking, we all know there is no escape. Great stuff.

• Thank you @supanorton - that guitar riff was a late addition, glad you liked it :)The guitars are Jamup, and the Wah is actually a Moog expression pedal hooked up to an IK Multimedia blueboard. The ending riff after the wah solo took precedent over bringing back the opening harmony part, as it's actually the theme introduced in the classical Intro for the album, although I couldn't resist echoing it in the bass line a few times.

Interesting you heard no "escape" ... The album opens with violins playing a melody, and with this song closes with electric guitar playing the same melody before fading to increasingly electronic sounds ... Perhaps signifying the rise of the machines? Your take is surprisingly close to events and denouement in the as yet unheard lyrical story!

Thanks for listening and as always for your insightful comments.

• edited July 2015

@eustressor

Dunno how I missed this one. Sorry but have to derail your real purpose and grand artistic plan/narrative. I hit play while I was looking at this clip my 12 year old had just sent me:

http://staff.tumblr.com/post/124713597255

Have to mute the sound and put it full screen, put the guy on repeat, but it fits beautifully.

Which led me back to the real world and I started opening up longer pieces of action sequences, really almost anything without dialogue from my ridiculously overlarge collection and this music worked brilliantly. With all of them. I spent half an hour that I'll never get back but don't want back. Best televisual pleasure I've had for ages. Great show. Should be a channel that only shows this. Endless Dr. Goodyear curated clips and this 4.20 seconds over and over until we get picked up by Amazon or Netflix or etc etc.

Now it's all subsided but I feel as though I've drunk five cups of coffee and I may go out in the field and find a bear to wrestle or a moose to punch.

Did I mention it's really good?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Endless Dr. Goodyear curated clips and this 4.20 seconds over and over until we get picked up by Amazon or Netflix or etc etc.

I'm down. I could give you a few thematic notes and some scribbles and you could go nuts with that video voodoo you do so well :)

Now it's all subsided but I feel as though I've drunk five cups of coffee and I may go out in the field and find a bear to wrestle or a moose to punch.

This metalhead would be honored to record a track that lead to punched moose.

Did I mention it's really good?

You did and I appreciate that, but even more, you shared a personal experience that was related to this song, a strong positive vibe, and as a musician I really, really enjoy hearing about it. Thank you for taking the time to share that. I had a less customized but related experience listening to my mix on repeat, nudging into its current state, while watching American Ninja Warrior and reruns of "Reba" (Mrs. E had the remote). It fit nicely with them both :)