Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

problems with iMidiPatchBay

For the past month, I've been using iMidiPatchBay to organize app presets for live performances. PatchBay allows me to create set lists with presets for each song. Each song can pull from up to 4 different apps and I can specific particular programs within each app using MSB/LSB/Program numbers. This is a great concept but there is a problem- when I switch to the next preset in my set list, PatchBay doesn't always lock in the correct MSB/LSB/Program number. More specifically, it does pull from the correct app (based on the assigned midi channel. The problem is that it's not always locking into the correct program. For example if I'm using a sound from iM1 in one song, when I switch to the next song, it may continue to use the iM1 sound for the previous song, even though the specified program numbers are different. If I can't get this resolved, then I'll need to find another app which could serve a similar functions. Any suggestions? Could an IOS DAW be configured to do something similar?

Comments

• Hi, I'm the dev of iMIDIPatchbay. Does this only occure with iM1? There is no such bug as far as I know in iMIDIPatchbay, so I wonder if iM1 might ignore the program change under certain circumstances.

• It seems to be happening with Korg iM1 and Module, never with iGrand or Ilectric. It's very puzzling.

• Could you somehow send the Data from iMIDIPatchbay to a MIDI monitor in order to see if the messages are really missing?

• Johannes, I'm including a link to a video I made which I hope will more clearly illustrate the problem I'm having. I'm having the same problem with Korg Module.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y9TBtkNh3sOWtBS1NRTWUzWVE/view?usp=sharing

• Thank you for the video! The issue is not a bug: a section has to be ON if it should send its program change when the program is selected. In you video, you switch to the program, and then switch on the section. The program change is not sent then. The reason for that is that I wanted to be able to activate/mute sections without the program change being sent, which sometimes makes the sound device interrupt the sound (and reset temporarily modified parameters in the preset).

So, just save the program with the section switched on. When calling that program, everything should work as expected.

I'm sorry that this is not so clear in the app. I'll try to improve that part in a future update.

• Thanks for your prompt response Johannes. That is indeed what was happening in every instance. For most efficient work flow it would be great if sections/programs could be called up after the song is loaded, but it makes perfect sense now why I was experiencing problems. I will just need to make a reference note for songs which have multiple sections when I need fewer than all sections active from the outset.

• That's a great strategy for live use and to keep the synth voices from cutting out. The multi's are very useful for this although combi's can also receive on multiple channels when setup right.

• Hi JohannesD,
    I'm using the iMIDIPatchbay app with Puc+ Bluetooth MIDI device and KORG keyboard connected by the USB. However, I'm experienced the latency problem. Is there any way to avoid / reduce the problem ?

Mauro

• I have the same issue as MauroS, I'm using the IK iRig Duo Pro, latency is killing me with Module (Ivory) I was considering the Puc+ as well.....

• …I tried also with Midimux app (PC server by USB to Lightning cable connection), and works fine…Bluetooth midi (Puc+) has bearable latency, and works fine with other apps…

• There should be no MIDI latency caused by iMIDIPatchbay, it must be an audio issue. Does changing the order in which you start the apps help? E.g. start iMIDIPatchbay as the last app.

• Hi @JohannesD While your here could I please ask if there's any news on the MidiFlow MidiLearn bug, cheers.

• I've sent you an email.

• Hi @JohannesD, actually I use my Korg KROME connected by USB through Puc+. I have latency when routing the master keyboard (local control off). Only Puc+ app is started…however, cable version works fine…

• I got the answer from Puc+ support team: The puc+ works using Apple’s Bluetooth MIDI software, which operates in the background in iOS 8 and newer versions. Apple optimizes Bluetooth for MIDI reception and transmission when it recognizes a Bluetooth MIDI device over the air. While this system is very stable for one-way data transmission (i.e. sending MIDI In to an iPad/iPhone/Mac OR sending MIDI Out from an iPad/iPhone/Mac via Bluetooth), it will incur a greater roundtrip latency and jitter when used for simultaneous In AND Out of a realtime performance (i.e. running from a controller into an app and back to a sound module.) This happens because Bluetooth isn’t an “always on” feature, iOS and OS X monitor Bluetooth on a scheduled interval, and while this interval is a very small segment of time it does increase by a factor of 2x when you attempt to run a performance “through” an iPad. This is where your extra latency is coming from.

Seems that limitation comes from the Apple iOS side, and is not related with the app…

• How do I control the switching of songs on iMIDIPatchbay?

It’s an awesome piece of kit, and has greatly supported how I set my stage rig up, having full control in one place is fab, but one thing that would help is how to switch between songs without removing my hands from the boards. Any ideas?

• Hi @darrellfear

I’m using the iMidiPatchBay app to drive the the Korg master (by iConnectMIDI4+) + OnSong app (as an set list and score + midi exclusive massages). I use also the Soleman MIDI Foot Controller to control the song / program changes on iMidiPatchBay app.

Currently, I'm not using the Master switches feature (right know doing the same thing by adding multiple song configurations).

The only ‘missing’ point would like to see in the app (and already communicated with Johannes), is assigning the #CC value to the switch, that can be controlled remotely (by MIDI Foot Controller). Also, possibility to send the SysEx massages (or macro) before the program change (this is particularly useful to change the Korg modes).

Mauro

• In my case OnSong app controls the iMidiPatchBay app by Virtual Port, and parallel by Soleman MIDI Foot Controller. See enclosed pictures...

• It would be nice to some kind of guideline on the midi parameters to use on how to chose the midi channels to avoid conflicts. I bought iMidipatchtbay in order to preset program changes and that portion works fine. When I start playing and change songs it all good. But after a few songs, I start noticing audio latency. It generally happens if some songs are more complex and use several sources. Particularly if I use 2 different keyboards (masters) together then it gets out of hand. I’m set up with 4 masters, all actual keyboard. Many times I use one master to trigger the sound from another masters so also I set up all the masters as external sources as well. I’m wondering if this is what is creating a conflict and cause the latency. I have an IC4+ midi interface. Thanks for any help!