Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fabfilter sale

25% off till August 1st.

Comments

• I know. 25% off expensive (to me), but worth it at the full price once the money's spent if you can find the money down the back of the sofa to quietly spend in the first place.....Recursive loop.

• Very interesting... They rarely have sales...

Glad I've waited so far...

I'm thinking:

• Pro Q

• and maybe Timeless (that does Delay, Reverb, Chorus and stuff doesn't it?)

I have microwarmer (for Limiting) and I have Wow (filtering) and Turnado.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Very interesting... They rarely have sales...

Huh? They have a yearly summer sale. This will be my third discounted purchase from them.

• edited July 2015

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Very interesting... They rarely have sales...

Glad I've waited so far...

I'm thinking:

• Pro Q

• and maybe Timeless (that does Delay, Reverb, Chorus and stuff doesn't it?)

I have microwarmer (for Limiting) and I have Wow (filtering) and Turnado.

If you still DIDN'T own Pro Q there is no doubt what you should get next/first :)

• A post recycled from an earlier thread:

In order of preference and usefulness (IMO of course):

Pro Q

Timeless

Pro C

Pro L

Saturn

Volcano

Pro G

Pro DS

Pro MB

I have actually used every single one of them, and don't regret a single purchase. The only one that isn't completely indispensable is Pro MB.

• They still look horribly expensive from up here on the fence - where did you hear about the sale - any details?

• @Empolo said:
    Huh? They have a yearly summer sale. This will be my third discounted purchase from them.

I stand corrected then... must not have been concentrating last summer :).

• Well, went ahead and picked up Pro Q. EQing with the onboard Auria EQ wasn't quite cutting it for me. I think I'll pass on the others though. I don't need delay on every track and have plenty of other apps that can do that including Auria's on board delay.

• @richardyot said:
    A post recycled from an earlier thread:

In order of preference and usefulness (IMO of course):

Pro Q

Timeless

Pro C

Pro L

Saturn

Volcano

Pro G

Pro DS

Pro MB

I have actually used every single one of them, and don't regret a single purchase. The only one that isn't completely indispensable is Pro MB.

I have everything but Pro-C and Pro-L. Honest question Doctor: As I rarely mix much (as anyone can tell from a quick listen etc :) and when I do tend to just shove things through an Audio Mastering preset and be done with it, is there really a lot for me to gain (sic) from the Compression and Limiter plugs however lovely in the right hands they might be?

I am resigned/realistic that I am not a producer/engineer and am more interested in writing/constructing songs than anything else. My instinct is that if I had something I wanted to take further whatever that might mean, I would involve A Professional or, probably more likely, at some point (as is indeed the history of Rock and Roll) end up collaborating with other(s) who will offer pieces of the puzzle more concerned/talented with production.

Thoughts?

• edited July 2015

I splurged and went for:

• Pro Q

• Pro C

• Timeless

I better bloody use them now...

I have thus far been throwing the whole Gadget master mix into AudioMastering and then MasterRecord and doing what I can to enhance things.

Now my plan is to make myself split down into sensible groups of tracks (kick, snare, percussion, bass, mids, highs, vocals?) and import into Auria and work some magic... I'm hoping the results will be worth the extra workflow :).

• edited July 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    is there really a lot for me to gain (sic) from the Compression and Limiter plugs

For a singer such as yourself compression is absolutely essential :) You should immediately buy Pro C and Old Timer. I always (over) compress vocals, it makes a drastic difference to their sound and musicality.

As for Pro L, it's also very useful. Stick it on the Master Bus and you can use it to control the dynamics of your song very effectively. For example one thing I do a lot is to set my levels so the verse doesn't go to max gain (so requires no limiting) and then in the chorus push the levels and the limiter kicks in and prevents clipping, while allowing a nice boost in overall perceived volume.

Of course you could do the same using Auria's built-in brick wall limiter on the Master Strip, but I find the sound quality is much better with Pro L, the built-in limiter adds a harshness to the sound that I don't like.

• @richardyot Thanks for your insight. I am going to walk into Madam's office, fix her a steely stare and forcefully whisper: I MUST BE COMPRESSED! May also have to have a yard sale (which seeing as the house here in Maine is in the middle of nowhere, may be a bit of a desperate ploy....)

• I'm planning to use MicroWarmer for limiting the master track.

So far i've used the limiter in MasterRecord which sounds like it's working pretty well.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Now my plan is to make myself split down into sensible groups of tracks (kick, snare, percussion, bass, mids, highs, vocals?) and import into Auria and work some magic... I'm hoping the results will be worth the extra workflow :).

What I do is to wait until I've finished the Gadget work and then duplicate the drum Gadget (usually Bilbao) to make individual Kick/Snare/whatever tracks (you can just mute the unused sounds on each track) and then from Gadget you can export all the individual tracks to Dropbox in one go. Then pull them off Dropbox into Audioshare (again in one go) and copy and paste them into Auria. It's pretty painless.

• Following up on both recent comments (and just as more grist for others on the relevant fence) I originally thought Microwarmer was not so much but have come to realize that it's a whole lot more than that. I use it on almost everything these days that goes through Auria...

• edited July 2015

Microwarmer is also a limiter, so you can achieve similar things with it, but it has a very different sound to Pro L.

• @richardyot said:
    What I do is to wait until I've finished the Gadget work and then duplicate the drum Gadget (usually Bilbao) to make individual Kick/Snare/whatever tracks (you can just mute the unused sounds on each track) and then from Gadget you can export all the individual tracks to Dropbox in one go. Then pull them off Dropbox into Audioshare (again in one go) and copy and paste them into Auria. It's pretty painless.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense and that would give a separate track for every instrument / instance... but my fear is filesize! For a 4 minute track with maybe 20 tracks that's a lot of MB.

But maybe this is the best / most painless way. Then somehow backup the track to Dropbox after you've finished (I don't think I could bear to delete the Auria work)?

• 20 tracks in Auria is routine for me, sometimes I have 40. Auria has a really handy "backup to Dropbox" feature, which will copy the whole Auria project to Dropbox and then you can safely delete the project from your iPad. That way you can just have one or two Auria projects loaded at a time and save space. If you want to revisit a project later just load it in Auria straight from Dropbox.

• FabFilter has disappeared from the U.S. App Store. Weird.

• @pichi said:

Well, went ahead and picked up Pro Q. EQing with the onboard Auria EQ wasn't quite cutting it for me. I think I'll pass on the others though. I don't need delay on every track and have plenty of other apps that can do that including Auria's on board delay.

Yeah, that sounds sensible but it's dayum expensive. Timeless 2 looks exciting though..

Is it worth buying any of the filter/delays etc. if I've already got Turnado though?

• edited July 2015

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Then somehow backup the track to Dropbox after you've finished (I don't think I could bear to delete the Auria work)?

Yes. This. Can't stomach getting rid of thingies in Auria once constructed....

EDIT: But see Mister Yot's thought on this now.....

• @monzo said:

You might use our Turnado with midiLFOs, it is cheaper and a time saver for loads of fun. If you are explorer type of person and prefer to hook up all the unheard ringing for your ears, well, Timeless2 is for you! Timeless2 is very good but not so much fun after exhaustive nerding your ears. Anyway, I knew you gonna buy it. Finger crossed.

• edited July 2015

I hope these go AU for ios so they aren't always behind the Auria picket fence... :)

using these directly in other apps or Audiobus would be great.

Should be easy for them to do in theory since they are already set up as Auria plugins.

edit: if they did do it, hopefully you wouldn't need to buy the AU versions too

• @Kaikoo said:
    You might use our Turnado with midiLFOs, it is cheaper and a time saver for loads of fun. If you are explorer type of person and prefer to hook up all the unheard ringing for your ears, well, Timeless2 is for you! Timeless2 is very good but not so much fun after exhaustive nerding your ears. Anyway, I knew you gonna buy it. Finger crossed.

Yeah.

I'm tempted by:

Timeless
    Volcano
    Pro Q

I've got loads if effects already, but Timeless and Volcano look like they have a few extra tracks up their sleeves, and Pro Q is probably essential as I don't get on with the supplied EQ-ing.

No idea how I'll get this ok'd by Mrs Monzo, maybe I just won't tell her...

• @monzo You'll get (rightly, no doubt) plenty of explanation why the other alphabetical things are more important, but -FWIW- I have used Timeless and Volcano more than anything else. Probably because they screw with things so much (or can), but I love them both enough to look down Mrs. Goodyear's Death Stare at the endless accounts meeting.

• Saturn and Timless 2 are a guitarists dream for overdriven signals and modulated-filtered-delays. Process with a little convolution reverb and there's your guitar track.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    monzo You'll get (rightly, no doubt) plenty of explanation why the other alphabetical things are more important, but -FWIW- I have used Timeless and Volcano more than anything else. Probably because they screw with things so much (or can), but I love them both enough to look down Mrs. Goodyear's Death Stare at the endless accounts meeting.

I'm ready to push the button for Timeless, as that looks like pure joy. Not sure about Volcano, but I think I should get Pro Q as Auria's EQ is awful. What do you think - do you use that one much?

• @monzo said:

I do not have Pro Q, my target is Pro MB.