Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spectral Eye and Spectral Eye Pro are now on the bus

Our sound analysis apps Spectral Eye, and a new Pro version, are now on the bus. The apps perform an FFT signal analysis to pick out the frequencies in a sound; handy for seeing what a synth patch is doing, or figuring out how sounds will mix together. The display for the apps is unique; rather than a regular amplitude/frequency chart, the FFT is wrapped as a spiral so that you can see octaves, harmonics, overtones, and so on. You can actually understand the FFT information in musical terms.

Spectral Eye has been out for a while, and is free -- people seem to dig it. The new version has a Theremin-like control surface, and can be put into the Audiobus input slot.

The pro version is new, and can go in any slot -- so it can listen directly to other synths. It also has the Theremin-like control, and can also send MIDI; you can play MIDI synths with the control surface, and see what various patches do.... The pro version will be $1 until Monday; if you're interested, check out the free version -- and if it looks like the right sort of thing for you, now would be a really good time to grab the pro version. Give me a yell if you've got questions!

Free version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spectral-eye/id546934084?ls=1&mt=8
Pro version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spectral-eye-pro/id624665308?ls=1&mt=8

Comments

• congrats on the release.

• Very cool, upgraded to the Pro version! :)

• Nice app!

• edited March 2014

• edited May 2013

@SecretBaseDesign - I remember wanting this app based soley on the name, but without Audiobus I didn't see how I could use it. Then I saw your post (above) and thought I should reinvestigate. Now that it is on the bus I was sold at "spiral" but then saw the bit about different sized red circles and I stopped reading and just bought it. Got the pro version so I could enjoy spiraling red circles to the fullest. I'm still not sure what I will use this app for, but I dig it.

• edited May 2013

Just plain innovative. Old idea (spectrogram) made musical with the spiral. Yay humans. Tufte would be proud.

• @syrupcore -- the Tufte reference is right on the money. I knew there had to be an easier way to look at the FFT data, the spiral is certainly inspired by his visual information book.

I was looking at FFTs of guitar tones (for the audio to midi app), and there were frequency spikes all over the place. None of the frequencies are nice integers, so there was much calculator mashing, and a lot of profanity. Once I did the spiral, life was much better.

• Awesome.