Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS microphone recording apps ?

I just bought the Zoom IQ7, while I like the Handy recorder app that comes with it, I find some of it's operations frustrating - can't re-name recorded files / limited ways to get files on to computer etc.

I bought the iRig Recorder app and find the metering to be very poor. Any other suggestions ?

Comments

• File handling on MicSwapPro is good, but might be more app/cost than you need (depending what your need actually is :)....It's amazing to me how much I use AS for recording quick and simple things...

• Just use Audioshare

• Cheers,
    I bought the Zoom primarily for making field recordings - using the Middle and Side thing for some interesting spatial effects (I used to do a lot of binaural recordings)
    @richardyot - that may well be a solution !

• :)

For easy file management Audioshare is going to be hard to beat, you make folders, sync to Dropbox, rename etc...

For what it's worth I have a Zoom IQ5 and I do use the Handy Recorder app at times, because it's the only app that allows live monitoring of the recording.

• Audio share will work well and I do use it a lot for this purpose but when I use my tascam mic I will also use twisted wave often. Twisted wave does allow monitoring and is also good if you need to do more than basic editing.

• edited July 2015

Another thumbs-up for Audioshare here and thanks for pointing me to the free Zoom app;
    besides the (paid) Rode, Micswap, TwistedWave, and Wavepad come in basic free versions.
    Also ikm's Microom and Irig Recorder, with iaa and audiobus functionality, as are their (paid) counterparts and Micswap Pro.

Now, taking Audioshare, edit: and Audiobus, as the Hub with the aforementioned, plus Jamup, JamMaestro, Tonestack, Vocalive, and then Fx Apps etc. surely is the next step.

Just found out today with aufx:push set as Expander by changing the threshold, the ambient noise can very smoothly be tuned out live, whereas most of the others have at least Noise Gates, and gain control options, (Wavepad takes a 'profile').

• Many thanks for the further suggestions. I think @crzycrs's suggestion of using AS as a hub utilising IAA effects may well be a good route indeed - as I really like the app anyway. @richardyot it appears that I can use 'monitor on' to monitor the Zoom (?)

The zoom app does do M+S to stereo conversion (decoding) mind, in it's favour. I like the Rode free app too.

• Yep Audioshare all the way. Every time I think "how can I..?", Audioshare is usually the answer.

• Regarding the monitoring: I should have been a bit clearer - for my Zoom IQ5 the Zoom app is the only one that allows me to do direct (latency free) monitoring via the Zoom's headphone out. I use it for singing practice so the latency-free aspect is important to me.

• Can I just add that (AS AN ADDITION TO AUDIOSHARE NOT INSTEAD OF) I have found Twisted Wave to be an excellent program, especially for zooming in more effectively/accurately when editing. Should be noted I have the full-pay version.

• Just an update, the Tascam PCM recorder MKII is a well featured free App:
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/pcm-recorder-mk-ii/id847107886?mt=8

Have also bought a iRig Field mic, in case anyone has one and is wondering, the iRig Recorder app doesn't record at 24 Bit resolution, but their tech support suggested Auria and Cubasis. You could also do this in Audioshare.

Am delving into windshields as the slightest wafts are ruining my recordings...

• is there a way to get audioshare to default to the recording screen when opened?

• I have a Rode iXY, so I use that app myself. It should with any attached mic though, and the editing options are some of the best of any of the recorders IMO.

• @asnor,
    Sorry I don't know.
    @Tarekith
    Yes, I agree, the Rode app is very good. Is the iXY pretty quiet ? - I've found the Zoom and the iRig to be a little hissy.

• another Audioshare user here for field recordings

• The iXY is an amazing mic, extremely quiet. I use it all the time, often instead of my NT3 in the studio these days because it's stereo imaging is so good.

• Resonare is a very nice app for quickly recording and applying some light eq and reverb based on instrument profiles.

• @Tarekith any way to monitor audio while using the iXY ? It looks like it covers up the headphone jack on an iPhone...

• It doesn't, you can plug headphones in to an iPhone with the iXY plugged in.

My one issue with the iXY is that you need their proprietary app to increase the gain. I typically open that app, bump the gain up, then record everything into Audioshare.

• @Igneous1 said:
    … (I used to do a lot of binaural recordings)

What did you use as your binaural mic set?

@Igneous1 said:

Am delving into windshields as the slightest wafts are ruining my recordings...

A dead cat is the only way. A good one. Forget about foam things, they barely work indoors.

• edited July 2015

@u0421793
    I made my own, I think they were a pair of Panasonic capsules and a low noise pre-amp circuit I put together (I used to work in electronics)

Yeah, I've bought a couple of deadcat type things from fleabay, which are pretty good but I may try to make one myself.

There's an album of soundtracks I made using binaural recordings here (it's free)
    http://igneousflame.bandcamp.com/album/binaural-soundtracks

• @Igneous1 said:
    asnor,
    Sorry I don't know.

doesn't appear to be. would make it my go to recorder if that were an option. being able to access it as a lock screen widget would be great too.