Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2

Comments

• wavetables ....mmmm yum

• NS2 will support AUs, and this will be an excellent method for bringing in capabilities that its default instruments won't have. However, NS2's new synth, Obsidian, has come on a long way since Eden. I think it's pretty safe now to disclose that it will have 3 oscillators, any of which can be:

• Analogue (all the basic waveforms with the choice of sync)
    • Wavetable (for interpolating between a range of new waveforms on the fly)
    • Phase distortion (similar to 80's Casio CZ range)
    • 3 Operator FM with many different waveforms
    • NanoSaw (8 detuned saws, similar to Roland supersaw)
    • Noise (a range of different noise spectrums with additional LP/HP/Band/Notch filter)
    • Sample (including multisamples with crossfades etc).

All of the osc types are mono/pannable, and the NanoSaw and Sample types can also be stereo. The sample oscillator also has a 'spectral loop' mode in addition to the usual time based looping, which can make some pretty interesting effects. Each oscillator can be assigned to a velocity range (with variable crossfades) or used in the usual layered mode.

Additionally there are 2 filters which can be:

• LP/HP/BP/Notch with a range of different slopes and the choice between 'digital' or 'analog' (the latter has a drive control and much more resonance).
    • EQ peak or shelf
    • Comb
    • Formant
    • Waveshaper The 2 filters can be configured in parallel or series, or switched to stereo mode to become a Left/Right pair.

Thank you Agent Syrup. Good work.

• I have purchased NS1 now - just to help finance the development of NS2 and/or Obsidian.

• Decided to give a little more time to NS2 this morning. Somethings I really like, while other things seem a little awkward.

Two quick questions...

1. is there any way to do an easy fade in/out? Or crossfade?
    2. If you're using the automation tools, I'm having trouble selecting the first node in an automation graph to move it. Is there a trick to grabbing that? The rest of the nodes are finicky too, but not as difficult as that very first one.
  • @skiphunt said:
    Decided to give a little more time to NS2 this morning. Somethings I really like, while other things seem a little awkward.

Two quick questions...

2. If you're using the automation tools, I'm having trouble selecting the first node in an automation graph to move it. Is there a trick to grabbing that? The rest of the nodes are finicky too, but not as difficult as that very first one.

On the “Main Mix” track, you can either draw the automation on the fader or throw a “Stereo again” on the Main Mix channel and automate that.

Are you choosing “select” and then drawing a square around the node(s) you want to change?

• @drez said:

@skiphunt said:
    Decided to give a little more time to NS2 this morning. Somethings I really like, while other things seem a little awkward.

Two quick questions...

On the “Main Mix” track, you can either draw the automation on the fader or throw a “Stereo again” on the Main Mix channel and automate that.

Are you choosing “select” and then drawing a square around the node(s) you want to change?

I'll give those a try. I'm not clear what you mean by "throw a stereo again on the main mix" but I'll have a look.

And, no... I wasn't drawing a square on the nodes. Just hitting "select" then trying to select. That's what I've been doing wrong.

Thanks!

• edited April 2019

I never automate faders in any DAW. I throw a utility plugin (in the case of NS2, the Stereo Gain native plugin) and automate the volume of that. This way, I can adjust my overall volume of the channel without messing up my volume automation for the channel... I basically keep the two things separate.

• I just got this recently in the sale and am thoroughly impressed. Can’t believe what you can do with just multiple instances of Obsidian and Slate, and the sound quality is really nice to my ears. The LFO assigning is fun and intuitive, hell the whole thing is so intuitive I haven’t looked at a manual yet. I’m gonna make so much with this app

• @drez said:
    I never automate faders in any DAW. I throw a utility plugin (in the case of NS2, the Stereo Gain native plugin) and automate the volume of that. This way, I can adjust my overall volume of the channel without messing up my volume automation for the channel... I basically keep the two things separate.

Really funny to hear. I've always done that in any DAW too, and I was always baffled why this isn't absolutely built-in standard functionality. That's why my own in-development DAW has a separate "Gain offset" controller per channel just for that :)

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

@Gaia.Tree: It's worth mentioning (with any intended offense) there's a great NS 2 forum to develop
    relationships with the top NS 2 users and get Tips and Tricks:

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/categories/general

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    I just got this recently in the sale and am thoroughly impressed. Can’t believe what you can do with just multiple instances of Obsidian and Slate, and the sound quality is really nice to my ears. The LFO assigning is fun and intuitive, hell the whole thing is so intuitive I haven’t looked at a manual yet. I’m gonna make so much with this app

Careful! You’ll be accused of “ridiculous, over-the-top hype” later. :D

• @SevenSystems said:

@drez said:

Really funny to hear. I've always done that in any DAW too, and I was always baffled why this isn't absolutely built-in standard functionality. That's why my own in-development DAW has a separate "Gain offset" controller per channel just for that :)

Genius!!! I’ve been doing it since Reason 1.0 haha

• edited April 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@drez said:

Awesome! I really miss the clip gain automation available in Pro Tools (I guess it’s a standard for vocal tracks pre-processing). The only workaround I found in Auria Pro is to automate the EQ gain in the channel strip, but it shouldn’t be that way.

• @Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@drez said:

Awesome! I really miss the clip gain automation available in Pro Tools (I guess it’s a standard for vocal tracks pre-processing). The only workaround I found in Auria Pro is to automate the EQ gain in the channel strip, but it should’n be that way.

What about the per-clip gain in Auria Pro?

• edited April 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Rodolfo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@drez said:

Awesome! I really miss the clip gain automation available in Pro Tools (I guess it’s a standard for vocal tracks pre-processing). The only workaround I found in Auria Pro is to automate the EQ gain in the channel strip, but it should’n be that way.

What about the per-clip gain in Auria Pro?

Hi @espiegel123
    It’s not the same as the “clip” gain in ProTools (the name they chose is not actually representative of its function). In ProTools you can automate it drawing a curve, usually for adjusting an audio track previous to compression, eq, etc. You can edit it any time later since it’s a non destructive procedure. It’s exactly the same you would do in Auria Pro with any automation parameter.
    The clip gain in Auria Pro would require that you split the audio track in as many clips as different levels you need, and you can’t draw any curve, it’s the gain of the whole clip. You could also select any audio portion and use the Gain function in the Process menu too, but it’s not a reversible process, you are actually modifying the audio track gain in that audio selection.
    That’s why I use the EqOutput parameter in the channel strip, you can freely draw an automation curve over the audio track, but as you know, it requires that you turn the channel strip EQ on.

• @Rodolfo :thanks for the clarification

• @Rodolfo did you see that matt is adding sustain pedal to the next update?

• @drez said:
    @Rodolfo did you see that matt is adding sustain pedal to the next update?

Yeah, to quote whole update-related part of Matt's message:

In other news, an update will be coming very soon. I've had to take some much needed R&R due to pre-release burnout and the opportunity to re-engage with the outside world such as family and friends but have also spent considerable time on improvements to AU compatibility, Audiobus support, optimization for the iPad Pro displays and improved handling for sample rate changes along with many other tweaks and a fair number of the most popular user requests, eg. support for sustain pedals and a modulation wheel for AUs.

Updating the app will be an ongoing process so rest assured that any user requests which don't make the cut are still very much on my radar and will be planned for future updates.

source: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/584/50-off-the-app-and-all-iap-until-midnight-monday-22nd

• @Rodolfo did you see that matt is adding sustain pedal to the next update?

@drez @dendy

Wow! That’s really good news. Thank you for the heads up.

• That's good to hear, another thing which puts me off using it currently is the non pro optimised display.

• @Rodolfo : Are you finding yourself spending more time in Auria Pro or NS2 these days? Also thanks for that link to Blip. Didn’t know the IAP’s were half price also .

• Is the NS2 sale over?

• @Telstar5 said:
    Is the NS2 sale over?

It's still on sale for me (Australia).

• It's still on - literally just picked up both Industrial packs

• @drez said:

Ah. This will be useful. Thanks.

• edited April 2019

I really like Nanostudio, it just has a few things that prevent me from using it more. The big ones are automation for Au3 and support for midi Au3. Fix those and I can work around everything else (I realize it lacks audio - but I can work around it, even if it's kind of annoying, using the sampler). And there are a couple of annoyances (Swing - it's kind of annoying if you want to play around with the swing to see how it affects the groove), but that's true of most apps.

However, the attention to detail on this thing is insane. Whenever I wonder can you... and the answer is nearly always yes.

And Obsidian - that thing is a workhorse. Just a good, flexible, general purpose synth that's easy to program and is light on CPU.

• @cian said:
    (Swing - it's kind of annoying if you want to play around with the swing to see how it affects the groove), but that's true of most apps.

Yes the lack of realtime swing is a bummer, so few apps support this but it's really essential if you want to actually hear what the swing is doing.

• edited April 2019

@cian: realtime (sound) feedback during changing quantisation/swing settings is definitely on todolist

for now workaround - after you apply some quantisation/swing, and you're not satisfied, just hit "undo" - it rollbacks last operation - after that go back to "quantiasation" screen and try different settings.. btw. as you move "swing" fader, you can see "shadowed" new note positions in realtime (they are red/green based on their position) - this helps a bit see what will happen after apply.

I know, it's just dumb workaround, it's not perfect - but for me it works - it's solution until sound feedback will be added ;)

• @Telstar5 said:
    @Rodolfo : Are you finding yourself spending more time in Auria Pro or NS2 these days? Also thanks for that link to Blip. Didn’t know the IAP’s were half price also .

I bought NS2 and a few minutes later I found that sustain pedal was not supported. When they confirmed the issue in their forum i just deleted the app. It’s useless for me as it is since I’m a keyboard player. Hope to give it a try after the issue is finally fixed..
    I spend my time almost exclusively in Auria Pro (mixing and mastering) and Gadget (song sketching), although I eventually use Cubasis and StageLight for quick sketching with AU synths.

• @drez said:

Both of your answers/suggestions worked well. Thanks :)