Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you listen to music?

Comments

• @Johow said
    I have though of digging out my old turntable and trying some vinyl but it just seems so inconvenient.

When MP3s first came out I had a friend with an extensive record collection going back to the 60's.

He hooked his turntable up to his computer and copied most of them using CakeWalk DAW, then converted the WAVs to MP3. Fast forward 16 years and he has them all in the cloud using iTunes Match.

• @Diode108 said:
    The inconvenience of an LP is part of the experience. Turn the lights down low, pour some scotch, and put a record on. Because you know it's going to demand attention in 20 minutes, it becomes more valuable than a long playlist. Not worth doing unless you REALLY want to listen.

Yeah I know it takes more dedication and enthusiasm than I currently have. Besides there are all those scratches.

• edited July 2015

@Johow Hah yeah, the scratches. I have some good records without scratches. I don't mind scratches too much. It's when the needle jumps the track--that I hate. :-) Enough scotch fixes all these problems. I put on "C'est Chic" by Chic a few weeks ago and MY GOD, amazing. No scratches! I wouldn't have dug it as much streaming. Something about that old spinning disk.

• You can easily get rid of those scratches in a DAW.

• YouTube gets a fair workout here.

• On the plus side I've discovered some of my old LP's are worth a small fortune now - for example I was offered £350 for a Kraftwerk album. Don't think I'll get much for my old mp3's...

• ipod classic - lossless files ripped from my CD collection (4000). Quality over-ear earphones.

• @solador78 said:
    I have an almost 10 year old 2nd gen ipod nano that I take everywhere and I listen to Soma FM at home:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/somafm-radio-player/id406262816?mt=8

Yep, I mostly listen to Soma FM on a jailbroken first gen iPod Touch which sits permanently in an old iPod Dock (when I'm not listening to the SOTMC contenders on Soundcloud).

• edited July 2015

On my SONY Discman.

• I have a 160gb ipod Classic that I have most of my tunes on. Quite a mix of music from all my cd's from the 80's and 90's, mp3's from Amazon, emusic and itunes. At work I listen right off the computer. Youtube a lot to find new stuff. I don't listen to a lot of internet radio, spotify, pandora, or the like. I like to listen to MY stuff, I only have so many hours a day to listen to music, don't wanna waste it on stuff I don't like.

• Very Carefully

• That looks pretty interesting. Not available in the UK sadly.

Not that I can play guitar.

• @Diode108 said:
    Yeah, those monos are aces!

You seem to be an audiophile. How are the Sonos for sound quality? Is it as good as speakers like Klipsch?

• edited July 2015

@mkell424 said:
    You seem to be an audiophile. How are the Sonos for sound quality? Is it as good as speakers like Klipsch?

Honestly, the Sonos is for convenience. I have the ones that hook up to my own amps in the living room and in the bedroom where I care about listening. I have the Sonos with built-in speakers in the kitchen and my son's room. The ones with built-in speakers are OK. The other ones sound like my amps and speakers. :-)

When I see reviews of Sonos equipment, they seem to be well thought of.

• Yellow first sony walkman with the awesome dolby nr function.

• @Diode108 said:
    hook up to my own amps in the living room The other ones sound like my amps and speakers. :-)

I'm ignorant with it comes to Sonos. When you say you hook the speakers up to your amps in the living room do you mean a cable or wirelessly? If they are good what model are they? Thanks.

• edited July 2015

@Proto said:
    Yellow first sony walkman with the awesome dolby nr function.

I remember the yellow Walkmen from the 80's. They were the sports models and had a seal and a special clasp on the door.

• FWIW I use multiple platforms to listen to music

• Interesting Spotify and other streaming services are 10% higher the iTunes/Apple Music. I screwed up when I made the poll and should have broken down the various streaming services. Time for a new poll!

• @mkell424 said:
    I'm ignorant with it comes to Sonos. When you say you hook the speakers up to your amps in the living room do you mean a cable or wirelessly? If they are good what model are they? Thanks.

The Sonos machines establish their own wireless network with each other. I have two Sonos Connect devices I connect to my amps. Connection choices are Analog (RCA), digital (optical and coaxial).

Audio formats I can feed the Sonos are: Support for compressed MP3, iTunes Plus, WMA (including purchased Windows Media downloads), AAC (MPEG4), AAC+, Ogg Vorbis, Audible (format 4), Apple Lossless, Flac (lossless) music files, as well as uncompressed WAV and AIFF files. Native support for 44.1kHz sample rates. Additional support for 48kHz, 32kHz, 24kHz, 22kHz, 16kHz, 11kHz, and 8kHz sample rates.

• @touchconspiracy said:
    I put headphones on and press play of course! But it's too hot here in England today for that.

Just took this selfie to give u an idea

I was alright yesterday as I was at the beach in pembrokshire, driving home today though I nearly melted, then I hit traffic and the heat went up, especially when I picked the wrong lane and sat in a queue unnecessarily, is stifling.

Way I listen to music, in the house either headphones and ipad/laptop or streaming stuff from itunes to an old airport express connected to an even older all in one midi system. In the car, use my girlfriends old iphone 4 for streaming duties via bluetooth.

• @Diode108 Thanks for the info. I'd probably attach the optical out on my Apple TV because you can stream iTunes through there. I'd use my iPad to control it.

• @mkell424 said:
    Diode108 Thanks for the info. I'd probably attach the optical out on my Apple TV because you can stream iTunes through there. I'd use my iPad to control it.

It also has an input, so you can send anything else through the whole house. Honestly, it makes sense only to have two or more of them.

• @m>; @Diode108 said:

It also has an input, so you can send anything else through the whole house.

That's good. I can see using that on election night when I usually have a party. People could hear the TV in other parts of the house.

I like the fact that it takes Apple Lossless because I encoded most of my music with it. I wonder if iTunes Match streams in Lossless. It will match up a song with the iTunes version but when it doesn't have the song in the catalog it streams directly from the server.

• @mkell424 said:
    m> Diode108 said:
    I like the fact that it takes Apple Lossless because I encoded most of my music with it. I wonder if iTunes Match streams in Lossless. It will match up a song with the iTunes version but when it doesn't have the song in the catalog it streams directly from the server.

I always wonder about that stuff, too. I assume it sends something compressed when it can.

• @Diode108 said:
    I assume it sends something compressed when it can.

It is possible to stream Apple Lossless to an iPad/iPhone conected to WIFI. They can stream 1080p HD movies from Apple's servers and that's larger than a lossless file.

• @mkell424 I have a drive connected to my router, so I stream from that when I want lossless. I see the option of streaming from Apple, Google, and Amazon as an alternative when you're on the go (not at home), and probably don't need the extra quality of lossless anyway.

• I use most of the items listed but not yet Apple Music. I'm currently in the midst of the 3-month Spotify trial and I'm digging it. When it's over, I'll try out Apple Music. I quite liked Beats.

I love listening to records. For me the shift (back) came about 12 years ago. I borrowed the vinyl version of The Name of This Band is Talking Heads. I loved it so I bought the CD. I'm not an audiophile but the CD sounded like shit to me. I figured I was just posing as an audio snob but I borrowed the record again and hot damn, it was just completely obvious how much better it sounded! That doesn't always happen but for some records that were analog to begin with, records offer the listener and escape route from the (potentially) shitty digital 'remastering'.

All that said, the convenience of digital music just can't be beat. When a record starts skipping the second you sit down to dinner it's easy to see why digital music got popular!