Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IOS Midi Mess...

Will it ever get sorted ?

Please give me some glimmer of hope......

Every time I attempt to get some good midi connectivity with any variation of my apps i end up realising that midi implementation as a whole on IOS is still a complete and absolute mess.

Can you offer any words of comfort Sebastian & Michael ?

Do we have the solution just around the corner ?

Comments

• Unfortunately there is no magic incantation - the individual Apps have to do it right themselves. Then visual patch panels like MidiBridge and Jack will make sense, and sequenceers and arps run together.

As a high functioning Appoholic, I have quite a collection. I'v been thinking of doing a spreadsheet of MIDI features vs App implementations. Any interest?

• edited May 2013

I just caved in and got midi bridge and I'm kind of getting there but it's a whole extra 10 mins setup and then there's the whole setting up each app thing....

I enjoy the options made available by Audiobus but i just wish there was an option to save the setup as currently I have to piss about loading all the apps individually and then setting up the midi setup etc...

I guess the save setup in Audiobus thing is the key to reducing musical admin and increasing the time enjoying the combinations of apps used via Audiobus....

Still not sure about midi but if Audiobus bought out Midi bridge and it became one app things would become easier and slicker, we might just have an IOS oasis....

@dwarman I like the idea of the spreadsheet although I cant help but feel it probably should be written into the code and the focus should be on purely the music making.....

I suppose I can dream on.....

• I find iMini mostly needs MidiBridge to connect to a lot of apps....I think now that Audiobus has "settled" in the market more people/apps will see the need for better midi implementation. MidiBridge can be confusing I still don't understand a lot of it and need to read the manual. I was just talking to someone the other day about making a list of all apps, a brief review, and mini checklist of their features (midi in, midi out, AC/AP, Audiobus and etc because there isn't a great one and apps4idevices rates everything "a killer app" hahaha

• I'm also a audio appoholic and would love an audio bus update a tab you select and Choose Audiobus as midi clock master or slave and midi channel and then in the sliding tabs list would be Audiobus play stop ect controls and tempo what do you think Seb and Mike ? Oh and speaking of Imini I just use it with FreEWI it's free and simple.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/freewi/id485711674?mt=8
    Nov 20, 2012 – Although primarily designed for use with MidiBridge, FreEWI can be used with other apps that have CoreMIDI virtual support.

• edited May 2013

Maybe Audiobus is the Hare & Jack is the Tortoise...

@JMSexton I hear you on midibridge...hide the science and keep the magic behind the scenes away from us with an aversion to manuals....

@Multitouch I could not agree more in terms of Audiobus taking up the master transport and midi clock roles.This would make things a whole lot more intuitive.....not sure how possible it is though ?

• Apparently something is in the works in regards to Midi + AB but unsure what or how long...they're aware and working on it

• Maybe it will be a fairy tale ending after all....:)

Fingers and toes crossed.

• clears his throat

• @dwarman: I'd be very interested in this!

• Come on Seb stop teasing and give us a sneaky peek we won't tell anyone....honest.

• nice bit of reverb on that, Seb :)