Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which apps do you use for cover art etc

I love art "almost" as much as music.

It's a given that iOS has some pretty decent photo editing apps with features ranging from filters, layers, fx, outright glitching, fractals and geometric shapes.

I generally accompany most of what I do with my own artwork, and I esoecislly find that apps by developers like Pixite, can really help generate interesting and unique cover art.

Here's my selection of apps that I use and some artwork examples.

Please share what you use and if possible, some of your art!

Comments

• edited June 2015

I like to mangle images. Some of the apps I use are: ProCreate, Art Studio, Matter, Painteresque, Moku HD, Waterlogue, Etchings, Image Blender, Pixlr, Frax HD, and many others.

• This is an area I'd like to learn more about. Can you recommend any good apps to get started with?

• Of course! It's an exciting creative outlet. Strongly recommend starting with Fragment by Pixite apps. You import a pic from camera roll and you then get to add geometric shapes which have multiple filters and fx and really make unusual abstract stuff

Fragment - Geometric Photo Editing, Mirror and Kaleidoscope Effects by Pixite LLC
    https://appsto.re/gb/dBrUT.i

Here's one example of my work and u can finding pixite under "fragment app" on Instagram for amazing stuff. Look at the screenshots of apps I use at the beginning of this thread too

@xen said:
    This is an area I'd like to learn more about. Can you recommend any good apps to get started with?

• Great stuff, especially like the cubist one! How did you do that? It's amaxing > @bsantoro said:

I like to mangle images. Some of the apps I use are: ProCreate, Art Studio, Matter, Paineresque, Moku HD, Waterlogue, Etchings, Image Blender, Pixlr, Frax HD, and many others.

• @touchconspiracy said:
    Great stuff, especially like the cubist one! How did you do that? It's amaxing > bsantoro said:

I used the Matter app for the cubist effect. It came from the Twisted Geometry add on pack, number 3. I turn off shadows and use the totally transparent Style setting Refract-1. The add on packs are fantastic, and really worth the money.

The Blender app is another quick way to superimpose two images with various blending modes.

The Art Studio app is fantastic. It is the closest thing to having Photoshop on the iPad.

• edited June 2015

Pixlr -- loads of features and free (but then...a lot of photo/image apps are "free").

Brushstroke -- turn a pic into a painting (quite a variety of styles are built in)

MocaDeco - add shapes and text to an image

Union -- for combing images

• Yes the pixite add ons are amazing. They told me more fragment shapes are forthcoming

Art studio is great, sketchbooks pro was too but they changed it

Procreate is amazing too

@bsantoro said:
    The Art Studio app is fantastic. It is the closest thing to having Photoshop on the iPad.

• I've done a few hundred sketches with the app Paper by 53, but ultimately I don't really enjoy drawing on the iPad as it's not precise enough and the lack of palm rejection annoys me.

• This is what I do on the desktop:

• Repix has some really cool stuff, and I personally like the flow and results in Snapseed.
    Artrage has some great painting features, with tracing and layer support.

+1 on Brushstroke.

• So I saw Frax HD on the screenshot in the opening post and being a sucker for a nice trippy fractal I thought I'd start there. Hell, you can burn some time with the animations on that one!

Anyway, I came up with this which I'm using on the track that is uploading to Soundcloud at the moment.

Although in the future I'm aiming to be a bit more creative and use photos as the basis.

• @richardyot said:
    This is what I do on the desktop:

Very cool.

• edited June 2015

Nobody mentioned Decim8? I zone out for hours on that. (Corrction, I see it's in the photos at top)

• edited June 2015

lets see...
    Leonardo compositor adjuster extraordinar.
    Decim8!!!!
    Glaze, DecoSketch, Waterlogue, ColorThief, HDRFX Pro, Pixelmator, Procreate, imaengine, AutoPainter(s), BrushStroke, CleverPainter, Jixipix and Pixite...

Fonta, SimplyMpress, Over, WordSwag for type.

All done on my iphone 4S

• Great stuff!

@audiblevideo said:
    lets see...
    Leonardo compositor adjuster extraordinar.
    Decim8!!!!
    Glaze, DecoSketch, Waterlogue, ColorThief, HDRFX Pro, Pixelmator, Procreate, imaengine, AutoPainter(s), BrushStroke, CleverPainter, Jixipix and Pixite...

Fonta, SimplyMpress, Over, WordSwag for type.

All done on my iphone 4S

• This new font app just came out

Retype - Typography Photo Editor by Sumoing Ltd
    https://appsto.re/gb/USlr6.i

• @audiblevideo said:
    lets see...

Who won the Words w/ Friends game?

• Since you asked about cover art, for my album I use Procreate on the iPad and on the Desktop I use a fractal program called Mandelbulb. The first one was created just using Procreate. The other two were made in Mandelbulb first and then stuff was added on in Procreate. I ended up choosing the last one.

• @xen you can do some really cool stuff with frax when you get into the design controls.

@moonstring and were you able to all that manipulation on Procreate? I'm not an artist, just want to manipulate existing images, add text etc.

• I like to make it look like old vinyl record covers with the VinylizeMe app

• @musikmachine yes procreate is a little like photoshop but to add tex you need another app called Inkpad

• I've got inkpad but found adding text pretty awkward. it adds little blue squares everywhere i touch on the screen so find it hard to place but found icolorama easy to work with, just select text and drag it around, also has some nice fonts. :)

• I use a variety of apps, mainly iColorama, Decim8, Glitché, Mextures and so on. I take quite a few photos with my phone and rarely pick up the DSLR anymore. Workflow is nice on the iPad. I hope iOS9 improves things, though I remain skeptical.

Shameless plug - if anyone needs album artwork drop me a line. This forum is such a resource for me and everyone here is damn helpful. I've got thousands of pieces that are just waiting for albums or mixes, and I enjoy sharing. ++

• iColorama has sooo many cool things it can do, but man, it suffers from a lot of ugly and awkward - crashes too at least on my 4S.

@solador78 I think it was me. Been ages since I've played.

• Shameless plug for me too like @nojayart :)

• Pixlr is great for number of features and ease of use

• @richardyot

Love the Vermeer reference in your image, very nice. Good to see someone using the digital brush who came from some, what i assume, art training?

• @dblonde said:

i assume, art training?

no formal art training, university drop out :)

But I have been a professional illustrator for the last 18 years, so training was on the job I guess, I trained by drawing a lot.

• edited June 2015

I have a lot (A LOT!) of drawing/photo apps, most of them (mainly photo apps) when they were free.

Not talking more about the "must", Leonardo, Laminar Pro, Handy Photo, Filterstorm, Photogene, FX Photo Studio HD, ArtStudio, InspirePro, Procreate, SketchClub, paper, etc., there are other for adding text, effects, with or without layering. I recommend check it out the next ones. Some of them do just one thing, but they do it very well.

Typic

PicsPlay Pro

Calista

Stackables for iPad

iColorama

Over

Textograph Pro+

Trimaginator

Rainy Daze, Grungetastic or anything else from JixiPix

LoryStripes

Fragment

Tangent