Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepPolyArp, on da Bus

Awesome app. If you don't have it already and you do anything midi at all, you should give it a good look.

Comments

• edited April 2013

StepPolyArp and Sampletank. Sweet. Check out some of the drum kits. Alchemy & StepPolyArp will be amazing.

• I love seeing what other ways people use diff apps together...good idea @mgmg4871 but SPA being on the bus is only good for its own inter a sounds right?

• No. It can trigger any app to be recorded in output. Talking about a different drummer. Try the drum kits in ST using automation in SPA.

• edited April 2013

Right but but the sound runs from the other app not SPA....I must be completely brain farting here. SPA is just controlling it so wouldn't that app have to be in the input?

• edited April 2013

Not necessarily. It could just be virtual midi say into Cubasis. SPA is only controlling the arp. You can use internal or external sounds from SPA.

• I hope I'm understanding you correctly. Whether the sound source app is in the input slot of AB or not, it can be recorded into a daw that has virtual midi. It will work the same way also if its in the input slot.

• I sorta see what your saying though not grasping it al the way, but I am at work so may not be totally focused

• Reply to second message, I shouldn't have specified which slot I just meant for the sake of it being on the bus, is only for its own sounds, all external apps are being driven by it via midi so the sounds aren't going through SPA but from the external app itself. I think we're both missing each other somewhere

• Lol. I think so. Let me give example. I have SPA and ST in input slot and Cubasis in output. I set SPA midi out to ST. I set audio track in Cubasis to ST. I go back to SPA and set record in AB icon. What's recorded in Cubasis is ST sounds with SPA arps.

• edited April 2013

So you'd be recording one track of audio from sampletank and one track of midi from SPA? If not then why would SPA even need to be in Audiobus it could still record audio from ST in Cubasis, unless your also using sounds from SPA. I missing something ....sorry, not your fault, I must be too tired haha

• No. I have only one audio track armed to record in Cubasis, and that's Sampletank.

• Sorry I added to that last message cuz I realized that after the fact

• edited April 2013

Well, if you record directly from SpA into Cubasis it would be a midi track not audio. Lol, get some sleep. I think waiting for Alchemy has worn you out.

• edited April 2013

Let me explain it this way. If you have SPA sending Midi to ST, ST in Input slot of AB, Cubasis in Output slot of AB, you would get the same results, without having SPA in any slot of AB?

Btw, thank you for helping

• edited April 2013

Because the actual sound is coming from ST, SPA is only controlling what it plays, so what's the benefit of it being AB besides its own sounds. I mean don't get me wrong I'm all for any app being On the bus

• edited April 2013

But how would you record from SPA without it being in the input slot. SpA has to be in input slot to record audio via AB into Cubasis.

Edit: input slot

• I'm gonna play with it tonight at work and see if I can figure out what you mean. Thanks again, sorry for my mental lapse lol and indeed the anticipation of the arrival of Alchemy has worn me out haha

• I think the confusion is audio vs midi.

• Video coming for what I mean....it's uploading

• edited April 2013

In this video I use StepPolyArp outside of Audiobus, to control Sampletank (in input slot of AB) to be recorded in Cubasis (in output slot of AB). I forgot to latch a key for the arp to steadily run, just played them by hand, but that's not pertinent to my point. I did it with my phone so the quality may not be great but hopefully you can get the gist. Btw there is no sound besides background noise at my work haha, but you can see that it got recorded in Cubasis.

• edited April 2013

Ok, I get it, but why wouldn't you put SPA in the input slot to avoid going back and forth to record when you can record from within SPA with AB. Also you can set Cubasis to give you a count in from Within Spa? Or maybe I need some sleep. Lol

• The benefit is having the Audiobus side panel in SPA so you can hit record in Cubasis/Auria from SPA (using the side panel), greatly assisting to get the timing right. Previously you'd have to start the recording in Cubasis or Sampletank themselves (either starting the arp looping in SPA beforehand or having to switch apps after hitting record), when the arp was controlled from SPA - now the workflow will be much, much better.

• @Michael Thanks. You explained it better than I did.

• Ok I see what you are saying, cuts down on jumping around and workflow....we're on the same page now!

• Exactly. It was very functional before, but now it's slightly better.

• More cool possibilities... Input - Instrument > Chordion > StepPolyarp (with Chordion as Input) - BANG!!!

@mgmg4871 - Alchemy should be work very very cool with StepPolyarp... but I'll test it later - have to upgrade first, only pro version does allow virtual midi!