Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How will music sound like in the future?

Could Mozart or Beethoven ever imagine the types of sounds and music that are commonplace today? Do you think James Brown would've ever thought that two words (hit me!) he said would be used over and over in various songs. Did the Kinks having a torn amp ever think that their broken gear would inspire distortion and the sound that Metallica, Guns and Roses, Jimi Hendrix would rely on?

Do you think the guys who jammed on the song where the Amen Break came from would've thought that one little part they played would've inspired a whole genre of music (Drum n Bass)

Even electronic music has been mainstream now for years. I remember back in the early 90s I think, the Red Hot Chili Peppers dissing Depeche Mode yet look how far electronica has come (I actually like both of em) Although what's really lame is Eminem dissing Moby considering he's from Detroit and that's where house music came from, and then he actually came out with a electronica-ish song later on.

Okay, sorry for rambling but just curious now that our grandkids kids will be able to bust out club mixes on their iphones at the age of 6, what will music sound like in future and how will it be experienced?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• I think as technology got better less musical talent was needed (manufactured boy/girl bands, xfacter etc). But I'm hoping now as there has been a long time for people to adapt to and learn the newer technology and now it's easily available we will start to see a lot more creative electronic music. No artist for me topped The Chemical Brothers at Electronica music when it came to analog synths, they in my eyes were the peak of that era and I hope someone will push that far with the tech we have today.

• Apparently, it's a band called Wyld Stallyns.

• As far as iOS music goes, it won't be too long before the general public realizes, "oh, he made that by touching the screen a few times... sort of in time" lol
    People dont appreciate being cheated...Look what happened to auto tune- there is no other effect that I know of that people simply don't want to listen to anymore (even though everything they listen too HAS been auto tuned to some extent, just covertly and tastefully.)
    I don't think all of this technology has made talent unnecessary, quite the opposite. Look what Frank Zappa achieved with the Synclavier 30 years ago...
    It's up to us as musicians to not be satisfied with the status quo of music. If you are ok with using these apps as a shortcut to making music that they were designed to do, you're part of the problem. At some point we've got to push forward, not keep going back to what was hot in the past and simply repackaging it as new.

• edited April 2013

I think you can use the same tools to build a cabin, or a mansion. It's not the tools that create, but the architect. I believe there is more music in life than we could ever possibly explore.. The growth of creativity has been stifled by popular music. We cater to audiences to appease their familiarity. Which is ok, but I believe some are called to a higher level of musicianship that are willing to create and not just mimmick. Chord progressions can be repeated and rearranged, but the outcome can be altered through various rhythms, textures, melodies, etc. The difficulty is, we learn from artist before us, and instead of learning from them how to use the tools, we rebuild the same house. IOS music is a great thing if we remember, its just another tool, but a great tool.

• No offense to the younger generation but the noisy, glitchy, non musical, sampling style is not working for me. And I suppose it will only get worse (to me) as time goes by.

Yes, I am an older guy who likes standard rock/pop type music with rhythm and harmony sans 8 bit distortion and repetitive beats. Cast me out to the old fellows museum as my parents before me did with my type of music. That does not make me less appreciative of how others express their feelings through music. Please keep up the great work.

More power to those who can create modern tunes and find it musical. I'm sure my attempts at making music is just as bad to those I have mentioned above. It is all about finding a way to harness one's creative energy. And we all have our own likes and dislikes.

Thanks to modern technology, I see future music being much more easily accessed and many more genres explored, exploited, invented, and revived. Thanks to all of the developers for exposing the different and recognizable means to make music on mobile devices. The way in which we make music in the future on such devices and where we can make this so called music on the go is very admirable. Making it easier than ever to get one's own interpretation of music out to the masses is priceless.

I am glad to live in such a period where all of this is obtainable. Rock on (or glitch on) well into the future.

• What Keebo said!

• Take the best of all the genres, and be open for new tricks for technology... I'm almost 46 and in the lucky situation that could enjoy and collect best music from all the decades, Rock'n'Roll, Beat, Chicago House, Goa and so on. As electronic artist I love to work together with guitarists, saxophonists and drummers and it's so much fun to bring all the skills and visions together. The iOS way of music is a wonderful chance to learn more about editing and performing - And it's so chilling. Didn't realize so far that I'm going to lose my personal style - the way is just more organic, more groovy and more expressive than ever before with Animoog, Live FX, Impaktor and so on.

• People will always love great music...always have always will.

Great music will always find a way to our ears......always has and always will.

• What DaveMagoo said!

• Wow, some great replies here.

To me, the democratisation of music has been both a blessing and a curse. Now that everyone can do it, those of us who carved out their niche by a long and painful apprenticeship might feel a bit lost in the crowd.

But what a crowd!

I'm 53, and I've loved all kinds of music and sounds since the late 60s when I first heard Good Vibrations and wondered what that amazing song was. I graduated through glam rock, kraut rock and prog to Frank Zappa, and now I'll give anything a chance.

I think it's a real shame that a lot of people get stuck with the stuff they liked when they were 14. I still like it too, but have to recognise that a lot of it just wasn't that great.

In the future music will be louder and more brash in tone; genres will combine; barriers to access will crumble; and anyone will be able to make the most complex and satisfying music.

It's all good.

http://periurban.bandcamp.com/