Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bluetooth audio receiver/speakers

Does anybody have any thoughts or advice on streaming audio from ipad to one of those little Bluetooth receiver boxes i've seen around? (like the Harman Kardon BTA-10 External Bluetooth Adapter for example) I don't have any way of listening to audio on my ipad other than the built-in speakers or headphones - and don't want to invest in a mixer and set of speaker monitors (for both space &monetary reasons) Thought if i could stream the audio to a box and listen to it through my home stereo speakers that would be great. But my inital thought would be that it might cause issues with audio/midi and recording in apps - does sending audio thru bluetooth from ipad take up that much resources or processing power? Is this worth checking into - or should i just forget this route and get a mixer/monitor setup in the future.

Comments

• I don't think it's too resource intensive, since its built into iOS, but the latency is the biggest problem. It's not an issue for playback, but its terrible for performance.

• You cannot use Airplay with bluetooth speakers and record at the same time. iOS doesn't support that. And even if so, the latency would make it useless.

• Just to be clear, Sebastian is referring to recording from the device's mic/line inputs which cannot happen when using Bluetooth output-only device or audio-Airplay (two different things). You actually can do recording and playback from a Bluetooth headset device but the quality is going to be pretty degraded.

You can still obviously do recording of one app into another with Audiobus, when using a Bluetooth output.

Latency can obviously be an issue as mentioned, depending on your use case. Also the Bluetooth output codec is lossy, so you will get some audible degradation vs the line output too.

• thanks guys - think i'll give up on this route for now....