Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Oops! I Eightied All Over Myself!

I don't know if this is EDM, House, Techno, Deep House, Acid House or what. Sounds real 80s-ish to me. This song was an accident. Proof of concept for my teenage son that it's easy to make music using GarageBand left me with 32 bars. After about an hour of those lonely bars left incomplete gnawing at me, I jumped back in and made a full song out of it. Even sang straight into the iPad.

Apps used: Beat Machine, Audioshare, Audiobus, GarageBand, Synthmaster, VoiceRack FX and Master Record. All synths via Synthmaster, all guitars and bass via Garageband's onscreen instruments, all feedback welcome :)

Comments

• Sounds like something I'd dance to in Slimelight. Nice! :)

• Nothing wrong with the 80's! :)

• edited June 2015

You know you're a weirdo, right? I like that in people, but be careful about talking out loud in the supermarket and so on.

I'm not going to give this the whole SOTMC critique because, you know, you didn't submit it to The Star Chamber etc.

• Nice! Catchy tune, good beat etc, yea very 80's (everyone loves the 80's tho:)

• @Vecoto said:
    Sounds like something I'd dance to in Slimelight. Nice! :)

Thank you - is Slimelight a club, a genre, or a really bad Rush cover band?

@mkell424 said:
    Nothing wrong with the 80's! :)

Nothing at all. Well, there were a lot of good things going on musically in the 80s, it wasn't all Billy Ocean :)

• @eustressor Haha, good question. It's a nightclub in London

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    You know you're a weirdo, right? I like that in people, but be careful about talking out loud in the supermarket and so on.

I'm not going to give this the whole SOTMC critique because, you know, you didn't submit it to The Star Chamber etc.

Actually I put the whole backstory on this track on SOTMC June Edition in the hopes that it would inspire you, yes you, Mr. Goodyear! Besides, already got my June song in ;)

• @eustressor said:

I consider myself busted, but then I have spent a lot of time in the gym lately...

• @ChrisG said:
    Nice! Catchy tune, good beat etc, yea very 80's (everyone loves the 80's tho:)

Thank you, Chris :) Totally unplanned, came out of nowhere.

• @eustressor said:
    Thank you, Chris :) Totally unplanned, came out of nowhere.

Yea, that's usually how things happen here as well :)

• Pretty much Karaoke style machine singing, great job, good for beers!

• @Kaikoo said:
    Pretty much Karaoke style machine singing, great job, good for beers!

I thought everything from the eighties was Karaoke-style - "Don't You Want Me" and "Hey Jealousy" were two of my bar-room staples! Still, good enough for beer is good enough for me, thank you :)

• edited June 2015

@eustressor said:
    I don't know if this is EDM, House, Techno, Deep House, Acid House or what. Sounds real 80s-ish to me.

I was listening to Hawkwind in the 80's and running away from Depeche Modists so I can't really comment on that one, I do like the cut of your jib young man though. Tight and solid, but with the merest hint of possible unhingement. Sinister, maybe, but not so evil you couldn't take it home to mother for tea and battenburg.

• It's been a very long time since I've had tea and a nice bit of battenburg said the exiled Englishman honestly but in a way that made everyone on the bench move away just ever so slightly...

• I'm not a fan of The Battenburg, I find it over dominated by marzipan, a substance well-known for making horses giddy. I prefer a moist Brownie, shaped like a turd

• @monzo said:
    I'm not a fan of The Battenburg, I find it over dominated by marzipan, a substance well-known for making horses giddy. I prefer a moist Brownie, shaped like a turd

I think there's an optimum time in any man's day to solicit his opinion as regards cake, but this may not be yours.

• @monzo Thank you very much! I can relate, I was a Metalhead that entire decade myself and typically avoided even commercial "metal" (Poison, Warrant, etc.), let alone synth pop. But as I got older, I began to realize just how good some of those artists were, like Gary Numan, Devo, Human League - even the Moody Blues had a brief 80s renaissance based much more on Patrick Moraz's synth work than anything Justin Hayward was playing on his guitar.

So I guess I came around just in time to discover the iPad, land of 1,000 synths :)

• I once heard/read/imagined that a favorite food in Merry Old England was the Lard Sandwich ...

• I love it, and the 80's!

• edited June 2015

@eustressor said:
    I once heard/read/imagined that a favorite food in Merry Old England was the Lard Sandwich ...

Deep-fried Lard Sandwich if you don't mind...

• Great catchy track mate!:)

• @High5denied said:
    I love it, and the 80's!

Thank you :) Good times, and an interesting chapter in music history. Except for the whole sunglasses at night bit ;)

• @LostBoy85 said:
    Great catchy track mate!:)

Thank you, and thanks for listening! Next time I sing into my iPad mic, hopefully it won't be 8am, I'll think things through and use a compressor in the FX slot ;)

• 8am!!! Wow!! How very unRock & roll of you:D unless of course u had pulled an all nighter??:D
    I know it's bad but I actually don't have a mic so all my singing goes straight in to the iPad mic.im hoping this new ik multimedia mic app will help in the future.
    And hey,thinking things through is overrated.i like your style my man!!

• @LostBoy85 Oh, it was very rock and roll ...

Woke up at 1am, couldn't get back to sleep, watched Nanostudio tutorials for a few hours before deciding it would probably overwhelm my son as a 1st DAW. Proceeded to adjust my attitude and started planning a Beat Machine/Synthmaster/Audiobus/GarageBand workflow for the boy. Figured I should test it first, dusted off Beat Machine around sunrise with no song idea in mind (I agree thinking things through is sometimes over-rated) and it turned into this bit.

Thanks for the kind words - you've got serious mojo going on based on your latest SOTMC entry. IK's app (VocaLive, right?) should serve you well because your vocals already sound really pro. Until you mentioned your car/parking lot vocal booth, I never would have guessed you weren't using a studio mic :)

• @eustressor said:
    I was a Metalhead that entire decade myself But as I got older, I began to realize just how good some of those artists were,

I grew up in the 80's and the my first exposure to current modern radio was the first years of MTV on US cable. I loved UK new wave and synth pop. So for me personally I still love that style music and followed the envolition of those genres through the decades until now, where some of the millennialis have discovered the decade and are making new music in those styles. I say bring it on! :)

• thanks a lot mate!:D yes I do use vocalive but I have just downloaded 'mic room' by ik multimedia that emulates lots of different Mics so that should help a bit aswell.
    It still blows my mind what you can do on these iOS devices,for a fraction of the cost of hardware!! I'm having a blast!!:D

• Even your voice has an "80s" sound to it, lol. I bought Beat Machine after hearing this.

• was the proof of concept a success? Did the teenager get sucked into the magic of iPad music production?

• @mkell424 said:
    I grew up in the 80's and the my first exposure to current modern radio was the first years of MTV on US cable. I loved UK new wave and synth pop ... I say bring it on! :)

Yeah, I remember my brother saying, "Hey, check this out!" when MTV launched. We'd rush home from school to get our fix before the folks got home. They only had 100 or so videos at first, and it at least 10 of those were either Ted Nugent or The Cars. But The Buggles were first :)