Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multitrack DAW Not Recording Input from Other Apps

edited December 2012 in Support and Feedback

I'm trying to use Multitrack DAW as the output, with Thumbjam, Orphion and Sound Prizm as inputs. I have tried each input separately and, in each case, everything appears to work properly, yet nothing is recorded in Multirack DAW. I have been going at this thinking that I can use Audiobus for live recording of input from either of the three inputs I'm using, but I am not certain if that's the correct approach, or if I need to first record a track in, say, Thumbjam, then play it back while recording to Multitrack DAW.

Comments

• Recording from multiple apps at once works, let's figure out why it doesn't for you...
    Would you please have a look at the following video and check if you're doing the same things show in there?

• It's not that I cannot record from multiple apps, but that I cannot record AT ALL. Multitrack DAW behaves as though it is recording, but nothing is ever recorded.

• edited December 2012

From memory, you have to:

1. Arm the track in DAW and assign it to the correct input.
    2. Switch to the app you want to record from.
    3. In the Audiobus side panel, press record and THEN press play for DAW to start recording.

Is the final step the one that's not happening for you? Having to press play as well seems a bit counter-intuitive!

• Well, one thing I noticed, in the video, is that you're manually starting recording in Multitrack DAW, itself. When I start recording, I am in, typically, Thumbjam, and I use the Audiobus controls in Thumbjam to initialize recording in Multitrack DAW. Then I play something in Thumbjam. When I'm done playing, I then, press the Record button again, for Multitrack DAW, to stop the recording. But, when I either press the Rewind and Play buttons while still in Thumbjam, or if I go directly to Multitrack DAW, it shows that the recorder DID run, but there is nothing recorded at all. In other experiements, I have used Thumbjam as the output and it was able to record to Orphion, by using the same method I just described. So, there is a problem in communicating with Multitrack DAW, then.

• Thanks, Michael, but the track IS armed in Multitrack DAW and has been assigned to Thumbjam. I have followed all your instructions, and the problem still persists. Multitrack DAW behaves as if it is running, but it is not recording anything.

• I've messaged the developer of MultiTrack to try and get him involved, I'm kind of at a loss. If possible - can you try deleting all apps in question (make backups first), reboot your iDevice and then after launching it, install them again? That'd be one of my last guesses.

• Hi, I'm the developer of multitrack. So I installed Thumbjam on an iPad 3 to try and reproduce this, and after installing it, the system started getting flakey. The first sign that something was amiss, is when starting thumbjam through audiobus, it didn't automatically switch back to audiobus like it's supposed to. Then I manually go back to audiobus, add multitrack and start it, then use audiobus to switch to thumbjam. Play a few notes, and the audiobus control panel disappears (meaning, connection got lost). Then thumbjam crashes.

Background kill everything. Start audiobus. It crashes. Something is definitely wrong.

Uninstall thumbjam and audiobus, reboot ipad, install audiobus (not thumbjam), everything works again.

So I think it might have something to do with thumbjam. Please test this theory by uninstalling it and rebooting.

• Thanks Hamilton!

• Hmm, I will investigate. DrumJam was having an issue with Audiobus launching (update in review, yay expedite), but it seemed TJ was OK.

Hamilton, I can't imagine the mere existence of TJ on the device has any effect on the outcome. What might is the order in which you started the apps. Try starting TJ before Audiobus (make sure it is killed first), then start Audiobus and continue testing.

• Ah, yes, I didn't mean to imply that simply having it on the system is causing the issue. Just the steps I took to make things work. I've now tried starting thumbjam first, and not through audiobus, and it is working. Just don't try to start it through audiobus or a reboot will be needed.

• Looks like I'll need to update ThumbJam too, as I've just done with DrumJam. Sounds like the same issue, only not quite as reliably reproduced.

I'm surprised a reboot is required though... usually killing all the apps will do it... just be sure to start them in the "right" order.

• Sounds like you're having more trouble than I am, Hamilton. ;)

Still no luck in getting Multritrack to record, and it reiterate, it's not just failing to record notes sent from Thumbjam, but also Orphion and Sound Prism.

• Are you sure that the apps in question are connected to Audiobus? Is your device jailbroken by any chance?

• edited December 2012

I hope I'm not muddying this issue, but I'm now seeing where I lose sound when trying to record ThumbJam into MTD. I have soundprism and ThumbJam as inputs in AB. I'm using soundprism to control TJ. If I start Tumbjam by itself (without it being in AB) it's fine. However, as soon as I add it to AB the sound stops. Not sure if its related to this original issue or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Edit: after reading this back I think I should probably just start another topic. Excuse me.

• Hi Gary,

How are your Punch settings set up in DAW ?

I had a similar problem and realised it was that I had the punch region on but out of my record region so it would not record a thing.

I took the Punch setting off (unticked it in the menu) and hey presto....

Let me know if this works.

Dave.

• GaryR60 have u got it recording yet?