Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Independent Volume Control of multiple background apps?

Hi all - sorry if this is a basic question but is audiobus able to control individual audio app volume independently?
Cheers,
Will

Comments

• Audio Bus doesn't control volume. It's a way of connecting apps together through audio and MIDI.

• Understood thanks. Is there any app that could for example allow me to control the volume of an audio app (e.g. BIAS FX) and YouTube independently?

• @ Murmur2k What kind of volume do you need?

• @yug thanks that looks exactly it but now I realize that YouTube ofcourse isn't audiobus compatible.
    @mkell424 I'm just looking to jam along on guitar to YouTube videos and be able to control the levels of the two audio sources e.g. the guitar is quieter than the video I want to adjust

• @Murmur2k said:
    mkell424 I'm just looking to jam along on guitar to YouTube videos and be able to control the levels of the two audio sources

I'm guessing you have an irig that goes through the headphone jack??

• @solador78 I'm using a Focusrite iTrack Dock

• @Murmur2k said:
    solador78 I'm using a Focusrite iTrack Dock

Why note just use the preamp (guitar input) and volume control (youtube output) on the idock and the volume control (guitar output) within jamup or whatever amp you're using?

• MiMix worked great + you can control the channels per MIDI

:-)

• One way if you have a ultichannel interface (say, Focusrite 2i4) s the run the main audio out and back in to the inut, then route that through Auiobis into MiMix, and send your final output through chanels 3&4. MiMix can do this.

• edited June 2015

You don't need audiobus, mimix or anything special to do this. the idock on its own is more than capable.

• I think the issue is controlled mixing of YouTube videos' audio with synths. ?:) If not, MIDI CC#7 on each synth's channel is sufficient, even without AB and MiMix. But tweakier.

• Thanks for everybody's comments - I'm not entirely sure I can control this.. my guitar audio is quieter than the YT video. I can't increase the guitar input volume much on the iTrack because I want it at a specific level without any distortion. Same applies for the BiasFX/JamUp output - if I increase that it will also distort. Unless I'm mistaken, the iPad has a single global volume for both YT and BiasFX.

• @Murmur2k said:

Stick an EQ at the end of your chain in Bias FX and use the gain.

• edited June 2015

Buy the MP3 of the song, and bring it into Audioshare, which has its own volume control that can used to pad the music level down.

• edited September 2017

Anyone have an answer yet? I am using a focusrite iTrack Solo running into the ipad via lightning connector. I am looking to adjust the volume of audio playing through Safari INDEPENDENTLY of my guitar signal being mixed in JamUp Pro(I am doing online courses for guitar via Safari).
    I have downloaded both audiobus 3 and MiMix but can't figure out how to do this as Safari is not supported.

Furthermore, I'm wondering if i should take my iTrack Solo back and get a 2i2 instead as i would possibly like to use this setup live at some point.

• edited September 2017

@DF132 said:
    Anyone have an answer yet? I am using a focusrite iTrack Solo running into the ipad via lightning connector. I am looking to adjust the volume of audio playing through Safari INDEPENDENTLY of my guitar signal being mixed in JamUp Pro(I am doing online courses for guitar via Safari).
    I have downloaded both audiobus 3 and MiMix but can't figure out how to do this as Safari is not supported.

Furthermore, I'm wondering if i should take my iTrack Solo back and get a 2i2 instead as i would possibly like to use this setup live at some point.

Safari is not supported in any audio apps, as apple doesent want you to do that, so it cant be done with it directly. You would need an extra ios device for safari, that has all of its audio output routed to a different ios device, and its input from the other ios device routed to AUM where you would control its volume independently of jamup running on that ipad as well.

edit. ofc you could adjust the volume on the player making the sound in safari, but i assume this isnt what you are looking for since its so obvious :D

• Check out AUM.

• @ToMess said:

@DF132 said:

Safari is not supported in any audio apps, as apple doesent want you to do that, so it cant be done with it directly. You would need an extra ios device for safari, that has all of its audio output routed to a different ios device, and its input from the other ios device routed to AUM where you would control its volume independently of jamup running on that ipad as well.

edit. ofc you could adjust the volume on the player making the sound in safari, but i assume this isnt what you are looking for since its so obvious :D

Yea the player volume doesn't do anything in safari, so that is no help unfortunately. I'm not really wanting to drop $25 on AUM either if it won't work. I guess i will just have to make do with the volume differences.

• @Murmur2k said:
    Hi all - sorry if this is a basic question but is audiobus able to control individual audio app volume independently?

May not have been so at the time of your question, but now AB3 contains a mixer that allows to set volume independently

Yes, AUM too ;-)

• So i was able to get a bit of control by routing jamup into MiMix via Audiobus 3. I set JamUp as the input and MiMix as the output in Audiobus and was able to crank up my guitar a bit louder through that. It's not ideal but definitely makes it more useable...hope this helps someone

• THIS totally does it:

Tube AU by Mani Consulting Limited Company

Hmmm? Maybe the link doesn't work? I don't know if I have to do HTML tricks here. Not into it. Anyhows: it's called Tube AU, it's in the App Store, and it totally does this trick that otherwise really hasn't been possible, AFAIK...

• Ahhh if you find a solution let us know.

If you can find a way to route Spotify or YouTube
    through AUM or Audiobus that would be great
    otherwise you have to turn up the volumes
    coming out of AUM and AB3 which simply distorts
    which ruins the playing experience.