Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio crashes when running in background

I am running an iPad 2 (8.1.2) with an apogee duet. My intention was to use this system live, running my microphone in via the duet and using software to add some basic vocal effects (reverb). I also use the iPad for my charts (gigbook) - and so I need to run the audio in the background, while gigbook is in the foreground.

This works fine at first... But after switching throught a few of my PDFs in gigbook- the audio suddenly stutters and distorts and the only way to restore audio is restart the audio app.

I get similar results with either running an Audiobus chain... Or even just running GarageBand standalone in background. I also tried substituting gigbook with another pdf viewer... And still encountered an audio crash after a few minutes. The crash seems to always happen just as I open a new chart... So I guess it's a memory allocation thing??

Just wonder if anyone has any ideas of how I could get this to work...

Comments

• Hmmmm. Seems the problem may in fact be the apogee duet. I first tried using cubasis instead of GarageBand- and that also crashed the audio when running in background and flipping between charts in gigbook. So I then tried unplugging the duet, and using some headphones with a built in mic straight into the headphone jack... I started GarageBand, added lots of reverb, put in monitor mode, then switched to gigbook with GarageBand running in background... I was able to switch between charts without any audio glitches. Guess Ill contact apogee to see if they can address it with a software/firmware update.

• Ok, problem solved. Turns out the problem is the iPad 2 simply not being powerful enough to do this. I tried exact same configuration with an iPad Air and it ran seamlessly in the background. Time to upgrade my iPad.