Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad mini 2?

Rumour mill is saying this could drop in June.
Just wanted to check if most/all of the AB apps would run on it as the spec,if true looks quite nice.

Comments

• idk if I believe the June rumors; Tim Cook just said this week during the earnings statement that nothing new will drop until the fall quarter.

But either way the Mini 2 should have no AB problems whatsoever; the Mini 1 works fine except in heavy use scenarios with multiple resource-hungry apps running simultaneously. I use mine with BM2 and various input apps regularly.

• edited April 2013

I have an iPad 3 and I'm about to buy an iPad 4 to join the game.
    Obviously I'm doing this because of the extra power of the new model.
    So I just hope they don't release the iPad 5 just yet like they did last year...
    Or do it right now so I don't have to go through this situation again :p

• Thanks for that Jesse.
    I've been keeping an eye on the rumours for the last week or so...they seem to change daily.whenever it does drop,think I'll pick it up.
    Have you tried guitarism on your mini?
    The smaller screen size looks like a more playable option for some of the guitar style apps.

• @jesse_ohio , a side topic ?: How would rate viewing/working w music apps on the Mini? I am probably a little too excited to get the next gen Mini when they come out, but I'm worried that it will be hard to see the detail of Beatmaker, Auria, and the several other apps that put a lot of content on the screen. What's your experience been? Also, is it a scroll and zoom fest?

• @dj8 Well The Mini has the same resolution as the iPad 2, and the same effective resolution as the 3 and 4 (they are pixel doubled for the Retina effect). Short version: Apps on the iPad Mini have the exact same "view" as on a full-sized iPad, so there's no extra scrolling needed to fit everything on the screen that you would see on a big iPad.

The catch is that the same 1024x768 resolution is stuffed in a smaller physical space -- 7.9" diagonal, vs 10.1" on a full-sized iPad. So all the UI elements are proportionally smaller. There's no extra scrolling because you see just as much as you do on a big iPad, but buttons and other UI elements are a tad smaller and harder to hit accurately.

In practice it doesn't bother me. I also own an iPad 2 which I never use anymore, since the Mini is so much more convenient to take with me wherever I go. Even when I'm at home messing with music apps, it's always on my Mini. When I pick up the iPad 2, it feels gargantuan, and it probably would be a little easier for BM2, etc, but the Mini certainly isn't holding me back.

I like that I can "palm" the Mini (hold it one-handed), and it rests easily on my knee while I'm playing guitar into JamUp, etc. It's light and small enough that it isn't in danger of falling when balanced like that, a scenario when a big iPad would be precarious at best.

Text is smaller but not dramatically so. BM2's grid view requires a fair amount of scroll/zooming if you really want fine control of what you're working on, but I think that's equally true on a big iPad as well -- just goes with that style of editor interface.

About the biggest downside is that really cramped apps like Magellan or Korg synth apps, which are stuffed to the gills with tiny knobs, can be a little fiddly to use since there isn't much breathing room on the Mini. Onscreen piano keys are cramped in some apps, but not terribly so, and most apps allow for width adjustments of the keyboards to compensate.

Conversely, expressive touch apps like Figure, Guitarism and Thumbjam are much more comfortable to use on the Mini.

One thing I want to experiment more with is using WIST to link my Mini to my iPad 2. I can run BM2 on the iPad 2 while using expressive input apps on the Mini.

Performance & speed on the Mini is equivalent to my iPad 2, which makes sense as the guts are the same. I occasionally wish for an iPad 4, mostly when using SampleTank since it's so piggish. But overall the Mini is definitely passing muster for my needs. I wouldn't think of running Auria on it, but BM2 is quite stable.

Full disclosure: I'm 27 and have good vision and long skinny fingers. These traits may influence my opinion of the Mini. YMMV.

• Watch this space for 'good' rumours on the mini: http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ipad-mini/#RumorTimeline (scroll down past last year's announcement for a stream of current rumors)

• Thanks @jesse_ohio, great info!! I have a few years on you...happy to have 20/20 vision. Still find it hard to work on iPhone retina to iPad 2. So, I'm trying to imagine the step up to the Mini. I might have to go into the Apple Store and install a couple of music apps on a floor display. I think they let you do that...

My other issue is I have huge hands... Won't get into the also very large feet, therefore... LMAO. So, reading through your reply, I'm realizing that's also a concern for me.... I really like the iPad's size due to this reason. But it would be awesome to have the portability and lighter weight of the Mini...

@syrupcore: thanks for the macrumors link. I check out the site a lot, but didn't know about that area.

• Seeing a bunch of videos on YouTube w people using Minis and music apps. Didn't seem to come up until I searched for "ipad mini" and "music". Looks pretty comfortable for people.

• edited April 2013

regarding ipad 4 vs. 2 vs. 5:

When i switched from ipad 2 to 4 i noticed one of my songs in auria took 51% on the ipad 2 and 20% cpu on the ipad 4.So the power is noticeably more then doubled.And most of the rumours say the ipad 5 will be round about 15% thinner and 25% lighter (looking like a"big"ipad mini) but no infos about the cpu.Personally I don't think it will be stronger than the 4.Maybe more Ram but i imagine they had enough to do in just a couple of months with building a thinner/lighter case without losing battery power and increasing heat.

So,if anybody want more power NOW i wouldn't wait for the 5...

• edited March 2014

• @crabman good point re. possibly lighter iPad 5. That would be very tempting, but I still want the smaller, more portable size of the Mini. Hoping they'll offer it w 128 GB. Of course, if I discover a bag of cash under the couch, I'd love to get both... Umh, not likely.

• edited April 2013

If the mini comes with the same a7x chip as the Ipad 5 and is nearly half the price,I'm gonna find it very tempting.
    will await the bench test of the a7x chip.