Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Polite discussion of Auria

I'm all up to date on my Auria bug fixes, but I still can't directly record tracks in it without crashing and not capturing recordings. I shouldn't have to freeze every track to get it to behave (I'm spoiled by Multitrack DAW's steadiness). Are the rest of you still having similar problems? Maybe they could consult Sebastian to get it smooth like Cubasis. ?????

Comments

• waiting a few seconds after I stop recording and before switching back to auria has eliminated this problem for me..

• No problems here with the latest version (1.09). iPad 2. Although I have only recorded shorter sequences from various other synths, no really long ones. But always check your ram memory if your gonna do something more serious, by clearing out apps from the task bar and then reboot the device. iOS handles RAM a bit weird, and it will close down apps that are running if memory gets low (making the apps look bad in the process, since the users often believe it's the app crashing).

• Fine so far after 1.09

• Yeah, for me what @Bootsy said was key. I had to learn that Auria wanted a few seconds after a recording to process the audio. Once I learned to be a little patient with it (which, admittedly you really shouldn't have to do) I haven't really experienced the crashes and loss of audio anymore. It's still my main recording source for Acoustic stuff. If I'm doing electronic then I start in BM2. I use tons of plugins too (Pro Q and Pro C are probably close to qualifying as "abused"). I have to freeze when my cpu monitor tells me it's about to shit the bed. Short of that I love it.

• Fine here as well.
    I had similar problems before and lost some important takes, but the "wait a little bit before switching back to Auria" procedure solved the problem.
    Anyway, right now I'm using Beatmaker and Cubasis to start my workflow because Auria does not have MIDI (I usually finish my work on the desktop), so I'm not using it that much to say if it got better after the last updates.
    But when it gets a MIDI implementation like Cubasis, no other iOS DAW will beat it!

• I usually switch back to Auria before I stop recording to avoid crashing, although it normally doesn't happen until I reach about 11 or 12 tracks. It's the same method of waiting before you switch except less risky because you can see the progress.

• edited April 2013

Ah, that 'wait for it' is a great tip, thank you. I almost threw the ipad out the window yesterday a couple of times!

I have problems occasionally with apps being connected via AB but Auria suddenly unable to playback or record audio. Play button will light up but the cursor doesn't move and there is no sound. Requires me to completely shut down auria, go back to AB and reload it. May be specific to certain other apps on the bus with it but I haven't noticed a pattern yet. Any tips? :)

• edited April 2013

Yes, stop throwing your iPad out the window...

• Sure, smarty pants but how else can I get a doppler effect with bebot?!?

• Swing it around on a piece of string?

• Isn't there an app for that? :)

• Yes, it's called idopplerbebot

• Ok, we're obviously out of control here. (I can't believe somebody out there is abusing his Bebot!) I've done the wait for it and sometimes it's not enough, and that's on an ipad4. I guess I'll try it again... Be-be-be-bot-bot-bot-bot.... Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

• edited April 2013

I'm really happy with Auria, but it corresponds with my interest in mixing. I've been watching a lot of Pensado's Place and digging deep into this subject I hadn't put enough time into before.

Until it gets virtual midi, it can't be as useful to me in a lot of situations.

I use Beatmaker 2 as my go to virtual midi sequencer for apps through audiobus and back. I prefer Nanostudio's editing environment, so hope it gets audiobus and virtual midi out.

With certain apps, I use audiocopy into Auria without issue. Figure has no midi options available, so I will audiocopy the basic beat track out, and then use it to align the improvisations I make through audiobus.

Audiobus seriously needs the ability to trigger the input app by starting the output app. I will feel completely ridiculous if this is already possible! :)

I like the fabfilter plugs which I have, especially at the price. Obviously it isn't ideal, as the plugin isn't transportable/usable to any other DAW, but the great price is a result of that, as well as the fact that piracy is neutered by this system in Auria.

Seeing the most recent plugin come in, which was originally a rack extension for Propellerhead's Reason, really struck me about the potential things to come.

One thing I'm not quite digging is that there seems to not be much testing of features before they get to users, but on the other hand, the dev Is getting features out very quickly and often, and I'd rather have a slightly buggy feature in hand, and have confidence in the direction of the app, than wait for a year or more hoping for a "grand update". I think that comes out of how I felt waiting for updates to Nanostudio.

• I wish the Mix/Timeline view buttons were one big button.

• Love auria and after having a desaster with fabfilter bugs in the 1.08 update everything works fine again(on ipad 4).I spend so much money on plugins now...cant believe.The Fabfilter stuff is awesome.But as mentioned before:can't wait any longer to have midi inside.I still have to work with multiple apps because of this.Recording audiobus into cubasis,move all files to auria and so on...but beatmaker is totally out of my sight (on ipad,not on iphone ;-) at least since cubasis.But i use the drumsampler as an instrument in the input slot sometimes...