Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Strng

Comments

• @jonmoore said:
    The masters of this territory of synthesis are AAS (Applied Synthesis Systems).

Do they make the Objeq App? I like using it as an FX for anything percussive.
    One of those X-Y grid UI's that lets you search for a new sound.

• @McD said:

@jonmoore said:
    The masters of this territory of synthesis are AAS (Applied Synthesis Systems).

Do they make the Objeq App? I like using it as an FX for anything percussive.
    One of those X-Y grid UI's that lets you search for a new sound.

Yep, it's the same team and the resonators used in Objeq are based off the resonators used in Chromophone and String Studio. Both really great examples of physical modelling at it's best.

I worry that they used Objeq to dip their toes into iOS not realising that the market is far more sophisticated with many instrument apps that are a match for those available as desktop plugins. I find Objeq to be something of a gimmick when compared to quality found in Chromophone and String Studio, both of which were available on the desktop when desktop processing power was a good deal less than current generation iOS devices.

If Objeq hasn't sold too well, it may have put them off from developing their more capable physical modelling instruments.

Considering AAS made their products work for the real-estate of the Ableton device strip, I think they could easily make it work within the confines of non full screen AUv3 screen real-estate.

• Incidently I just noticed on the AAS site that their currently running a promo on String Studio.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/promo/

50% off which makes it $99

Or with a bundle of all 9 $30 sound packs for $149.

After the Easter iOS promo season, I'm sure most folk are all tapped out, but this is an excellent offer on an outstanding product. Once you're on the AAS train, they do regular upgrade to full suite promos directly to owners of existing products. There's not a dud in the portfolio, but it's worth knowing that most of those products are part of the full Ableton Suite.

I own the full AAS suite as I'd already purchased it before Ableton licensed the technology, so I've only had to consider the upgrade fees, when the individual products get upgraded. But now that I have the upgraded versions I've found that they offer significant advantages over the Ableton versions.

• Love me some STRNG. AUv3 will be a nice touch :wink:

BTW, for those of you into Karplus-Strong, Caustic has a module for that too

• @jonmoore said:
    Karplus Strong has been around since year dot of digital synthesis (well the early eighties to be more precise). And you already have it in VirSyn TERA if you own that. In TERA it's called the WaveGuide as Harry has a tendency to rename synthesis techniques into his own VirSyn lexicon. :)

Even the iceGear synths are somewhat related as resonators following an initial pluck/clang etc is a relational synthesis technique.

The masters of this territory of synthesis are AAS (Applied Synthesis Systems). I've longed for them to make their stuff available on iOS as it's pretty DSP efficient. If you have Ableton Live, you already know their work, as it's the same synthesis engines, rebadged for Ableton.

This website features a javascript version of Karplus Strong algorithm, which is testament to how efficient a technique KS is at it's most basic. Fully interactive too.

http://amid.fish/javascript-karplus-strong

I suspect that Karplus Strong is having something of a revival as there are many digital Eurorack modules that use it.

On that note 😜 running STRG through AAS’s Objeq is pretty-cool.

• @jonmoore said:
    Karplus Strong has been around since year dot of digital synthesis (well the early eighties to be more precise). And you already have it in VirSyn TERA if you own that. In TERA it's called the WaveGuide as Harry has a tendency to rename synthesis techniques into his own VirSyn lexicon. :)

Even the iceGear synths are somewhat related as resonators following an initial pluck/clang etc is a relational synthesis technique.

The masters of this territory of synthesis are AAS (Applied Synthesis Systems). I've longed for them to make their stuff available on iOS as it's pretty DSP efficient. If you have Ableton Live, you already know their work, as it's the same synthesis engines, rebadged for Ableton.

This website features a javascript version of Karplus Strong algorithm, which is testament to how efficient a technique KS is at it's most basic. Fully interactive too.

http://amid.fish/javascript-karplus-strong

I suspect that Karplus Strong is having something of a revival as there are many digital Eurorack modules that use it.

AAS make the iOS app Objeq that puts resonators on your own audio input. You input the exciter and can choose from 3 types of resonance.

It works off of table taps picked up by the mic to create drum types of sounds, but it works with any sound really, being an AU effect. I get a lot of interesting results, and really like it.

• @McD said:

@david_2017 said:
    Never heard of it 🙈

Modeling is the solution to so many problems. It makes an instrument
    using pure math. Today data is needed in the form of 8 GB's of Bass samples
    to impress you. Tomorrow?

Math is just computer code and these iPads have processors our grandparents assumed required a stadium of abacus wielding autistics.(that's Moore's Law).

So, a model of a piano fits in a 100MB App and sound like the 13GB Colossus: a 130 times reduction in storage space for the App and potentially a lot less CPU resource copying data about over and over and over and...

So, Strng is an early IOS Modeling App and t(he)y went dark for a few years and now... AUv3. This could be the start of a trend. You will say:

I'm only buying acoustic instruments that are models.

You will date models exclusively. Maybe marry one.

“...and the Radioman laughs, because the Radioman fucks a model too...”

• @Littlewoodg said:

Google search is insanely powerful:

I didn't know this song.

• That was a rather pleasing detour. Haven't listened to any Soul Coughing for eons. :)

• edited April 2019

@McD said:

@Littlewoodg said:

I didn't know this song.

Thought you’d dig it. A minor masterpiece of its type, and anthemic during my time in filmschool and the “business”

Back on topic, Strng and anything else humbletune is the shit

• @Vecoto said:
    It looks similar and sounds a lot like the String synth on the Teenage Engineering OP-1 to me. Any direct link between them, or just the inspiration?

String: Description

This nomenclature suggests that String is using digital waveguide synthesis; I'm convinced that String is in fact using Karplus-Strong synthesis, which is a subset (and progenitor) of the more general digital waveguide model.

While technically they may be correct -- after all, a square is a rectangle -- I think it's more useful and illuminating to be precise in this case and thus to consider String as a KS synthesis engine. It doesn't seem to be using any of the more complex capabilities provided by the more general digital waveguide model, so nothing is lost by this shift of nomenclature, and instead we gain clarity and simplicity: a worthwhile trade.

• @McD said:

@Littlewoodg said:

I didn't know this song.

Uhh.
    Hit me.
    After hearing True Dreams of Wichita too, I'm now adding all of their albums to my Spotify list.
    Many thanks!

• @tja
    My pleasure!
    Very special stuff

• Freakin great!

• @McD said:

@Littlewoodg said:

I didn't know this song.

Loved this that album, but this was always the song we all quoted to each other. Man, this just triggered such a specific time in my life. Got obsessed with all the bands from that particular NYC circle, particularily Girls Against Boys (imagine Soul Coughing style adspeak lyrics with more of a Tom Waits delivery and heavier riffs courtesy of the two bass players).

Is Chicago? Is not Chicago?

• Sorry, also wanted to add my love for humbletunes, the humble bundle was the first bundle I purchased on iOS and I still have a soft spot for Tardigrain out of all the granular synths. Glad to hear more AU’s are coming.

• edited April 2019

@jonmoore said:
    Incidently I just noticed on the AAS site that their currently running a promo on String Studio.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/promo/

50% off which makes it $99

Or with a bundle of all 9 $30 sound packs for $149.

After the Easter iOS promo season, I'm sure most folk are all tapped out, but this is an excellent offer on an outstanding product. Once you're on the AAS train, they do regular upgrade to full suite promos directly to owners of existing products. There's not a dud in the portfolio, but it's worth knowing that most of those products are part of the full Ableton Suite.

I own the full AAS suite as I'd already purchased it before Ableton licensed the technology, so I've only had to consider the upgrade fees, when the individual products get upgraded. But now that I have the upgraded versions I've found that they offer significant advantages over the Ableton versions.

Could you give us an example of an AAS product included with Ableton Suite? I'm not following...

EDIT: Tension!! I didn't even know it was there! Ableton Suite has so much content it's hard to be familiar with all of it. Thanks for the tip!

• @jigglypuff

All of the following are AAS:

• Analog
    • Collision
    • Electric
    • Tension

And from the FX:

• Corpus

Corpus is the resonator section from Collision and is one of Live's hidden gems as it can be applied to any source sounds.

• edited April 2019

@jonmoore said:
    @jigglypuff

All of the following are AAS:

• Analog
    • Collision
    • Electric
    • Tension

And from the FX:

• Corpus

Corpus is the resonator section from Collision and is one of Live's hidden gems as it can be applied to any source sounds.

Wow, Corpus is really nice. I didn't know about that one either. AAS makes top notch instruments. I got the deal. Thanks again!

• Update with auv3 support is out now 😊

• Cool ! Thanks dev!

• Great stuff :)

• Fantastic. Been looking forward to this.

• Its a beautiful thing. I like it a lot.

• I've always loved strng sadly it got lost amongst the non auv3 apps... This resurrection is 🙌 amazing

• BPM doesn't follow the host sync though. Otherwise, great fun :)

• An all-time fav just got wayyyyyyy better.

• The strng update just downloaded is very very cool! Thanks!

• @White said:

Very cool...