Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Strng

Comments

• @aphex 4-6 total.

• @Aphex I don't think of it as a synth as such, but more as an instrument....

• I found this was a good incentive to start playing to make your own presets and very quickly I had about 5 more and of course it's quality not quantity which counts :)

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Aphex I don't think of it as a synth as such, but more as an instrument....

agreed, a Synthstrument?

• loving this synthstrument!

• What they said. It's very easy, inviting even, to create your own presets. I really need go try this beast through a good chorus. Suggestions?

• Hmmm. Good worm can. What is the 'best' chorus?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    We like it slow.

Sometimes ... I'm curious, though, what's the top end for BPM? Think 2CELLOS "Trooper" remake ...

• edited June 2015

@eustressor said:

Careful, this way lies Mister Funjunkie and his thousand miles of DD madness....

• edited June 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Careful, this way lies Mister Funjunkie and his thousand miles of DD madness....

Exactly. Hate the 180BPM speed limit arbitrarily imposed in some otherwise great apps due to, I can only surmise, a complete lack of exposure to Motorhead circa 1978-1982.

Hoping @humbletune has an Ace of Spades up his sleeve, cause this app really does sound good :)

• @syrupcore
    @JohnyGoodyear
    @Carnbot

Thanx now i have a better idea of what is this. Looks cool

• I'd love some more presets by humbletune, he's got a great ear

• 3000bpm...just what you need. DD specs out at a max of 960bpm, or thereabouts. I've been in NJ this past month on a contract job and finally got to meet Peter (@technemedia....great guy), and we were hearing speed increases up to 3000bpm. That should be enough for most anyone.

• @humbletune -- just wanted to add my echo of praise for your work. every single app of yours has made its way into my workflow and I am so grateful for your attention to detail and the risks you take with UI and functionality.

you're a model for what app devs should be.

• @JohnnyGoodyear @Carnbot @Musikman4Christ Synthstrument sounds good, might have to steal that one for the website. :)

@kobamoto Thanks, I'll see what I can do on the presets for the next build. I rarely use presets, which is why there are so few I think but I can see how it is useful sometimes. If anything a good starting point for new sounds.

And Cheers everyone for the nice comments. @dderks I don't know how to respond to that other than to say thank you. Makes me happy that my apps are being used. :)

ERik

• I am loving this Synthstrument!!! It is so awesoe man! I made a few presets and can't stop coming up with stuff. Honestly loving it!
    Mr. Humbletune, few requests from me:
    Can the preset screen have an option where it can remain open? Like a little switch or something that one can click to have the preset screen remain open. I would love that cause if i am using this little beast while playing live, I can swithc presets on the fly without having to reopen the preset screen.

Also, I am using an Axiom Mini Air 32 midi controller. I was so pleasantly surprised to find that every one of the 8 rotary knobs did something to String. But, I could not change what the knobs did. I wanted to control the Tension, etc. etc. but there was no way to change it. Could you make it where we can go to the Midi selection screen in the drop down menu and be able to "Midi Learn" what ever we want to control with our midi keyboard? That would be so awesome. One of my knobs controlled the length of the string, and it was so cool to see the graphic react to me moving the knob around! So awesome! Pleeeeeeese?

Also, when moving the knobs, I could not tell how much I was moving so a visual number just like when one touches the screen would be so awesome too!

I truly love your app. I am sooooooooo glad I bought it. It truly is a Synthstrument! When I play it, i feel like I am playing an instrument that somehow lives in the digital world!

Check out this preset I just made:

Hey, check out this track on SoundCloud: Musikman4Christ Strng&AltiSpaceMM4C at USA!

I'm sharing it from the SoundCloud iOS app -- get it here, free: https://app.adjust.io/c1ofg4

• @Musikman4Christ Very nice preset. :) With the current standard apple popup there is no way to keep it open I think, but I could definitely work on writing my own popup that could remain open. Will think about that.

You can actually change the midi cc values in the midi popup. You can either type in the value with the keyboard or once the keyboard open twisting the knob you want to assign will assign it. Please note though that there is a bug in the tempo cc, which can cause a crash. I have submitted a fix for that which should be out in a week something.

Yeah, seeing the actual value could be nice when using midi. I'll put that on my list. :)

Cheers

ERik

• Thanks!
    Reg midi I did rotate the knobs but one of them already controlled sustain but I then selected the tension and moved the know but it kept controlling the sustain. I'll check I out dome more.
    This app sounds really nice through AltiSpace convolution reverb.

• @Musikman4Christ No worries, yes sorry, a cc above in the list takes precedence over one below in the list. Not sure why I did it that way. I guess there might be times where one might want to control two things with one knob.

Cheers

ERik

• No worries, that's true. So hoe can I program single ccs to a knob?

• @Musikman4Christ said:
    No worries, that's true. So hoe can I program single ccs to a knob?

Haven't tried this but if I'm understanding @humbletune correctly... if something higher in the list is already using a CC # you want to use, change that one first. Then the other control should respond properly. @humbletune maybe more trouble than it's worth but some apps will simply blank out a preexisting setting if something else uses it. Thinking mostly about custom keyboard shortcuts in desktop apps.

• Thanks fir clearing that up. I'm not that great about ccs and stuff.

• @syrupcore @Musikman4Christ That is correct, a cc higher in the list will take precedence, and will "eat" the message first. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks guys. :)

ERik

• Thanks for creating strng, it's a really nice modelling app. I love the sounds and your inclusion of noise and tension parameters.
    I'm trying to set up strng to work with a wind synth. It's normal for wind synth patches to control several CCs from #2 breath control. Typically, I'll use #2 to control gain, filter resonance and frequency, sometimes even adding a bit of distortion at the top of the range. This makes for a very musical sound. If you ever have time to change the CC assignment scheme, it will make strng a much more useable app, at least for me!

• Strng update with Auv3 coming soon...

• @White said:
    Strng update with Auv3 coming soon...

Cooooool!

• I've been waiting on this since I saw perplex on show it off on ig !

• Never heard of it 🙈

• Nice, Looking forward to this update!
    Google 'Karplus Strong' to get an idea what STRNG is capable of.

Since it'll be an AUv3 all the parameters will hopefully be available as AU Parameters for external tweaking :)

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

@david_2017 said:
    Never heard of it 🙈

Modeling is the solution to so many problems. It makes an instrument
    using pure math. Today data is needed in the form of 8 GB's of Bass samples
    to impress you. Tomorrow?

Math is just computer code and these iPads have processors our grandparents assumed required a stadium of abacus wielding autistics.(that's Moore's Law).

So, a model of a piano fits in a 100MB App and sound like the 13GB Colossus: a 130 times reduction in storage space for the App and potentially a lot less CPU resource copying data about over and over and over and...

So, Strng is an early IOS Modeling App and t(he)y went dark for a few years and now... AUv3. This could be the start of a trend. You will say:

I'm only buying acoustic instruments that are models.

You will date models exclusively. Maybe marry one.

"I will Model your Moog Matriarch for food." (Bullshit really, I just want change to buy liquor). Drunks do not code models or date them but sometimes they marry one after playing in a major sports franchise and peaking at 30.

• Karplus Strong has been around since year dot of digital synthesis (well the early eighties to be more precise). And you already have it in VirSyn TERA if you own that. In TERA it's called the WaveGuide as Harry has a tendency to rename synthesis techniques into his own VirSyn lexicon. :)

Even the iceGear synths are somewhat related as resonators following an initial pluck/clang etc is a relational synthesis technique.

The masters of this territory of synthesis are AAS (Applied Synthesis Systems). I've longed for them to make their stuff available on iOS as it's pretty DSP efficient. If you have Ableton Live, you already know their work, as it's the same synthesis engines, rebadged for Ableton.

This website features a javascript version of Karplus Strong algorithm, which is testament to how efficient a technique KS is at it's most basic. Fully interactive too.

http://amid.fish/javascript-karplus-strong

I suspect that Karplus Strong is having something of a revival as there are many digital Eurorack modules that use it.