Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Strng

Comments

• @humbletune

I find the oscilloscope black line way too thin, maybe too small the size, I like the idea of iFtreless apps that I can see it more clearly to gain more interesting and sense. The grey text for effects way too dark, maybe I can have a choice of neon pink or cyan, so my brain have more stimulating for my finger to adjust the things! hope I can that much choices! I did have crash and the app ask me to send the crash report is way nice to email the developer. I say earlier I like it a lot. If the Oscilloscope can be built on upper part of big keyboard section like iFretless, it could be a very attractive app of all time! Thank you.

• edited May 2015

@humbletune

Btw, Can I aslo have a choice to turn off each part of the effects section by touch twince on the effect button to grey out off the effect individually? thus It can use on AB/IAA effect chain.

• edited May 2015

One suggestion I would add. The 'tooltip' on the control that tells you it's name and value is cool. But I can never see the bloody thing because it's almost under my finger (and normally very low contrast). It probably just needs to go top right or something boring like that :).

But then I get the impression with your UIs that it's not always about making things easy. More about character, which I applaud. So maybe ignore the above.

• SpookyZoo Thank you very much. :)

Matt_Fletcher_2000 Leftfield, I like that. :) Yeah, nils is a bit crazy, I wonder myself sometimes what I did there. Shapesynth is getting quite old now and I think sometimes I should redesign the ui. When I first made it we didn't have audiobus or midi. I only had an iPod Touch 2nd gen and akai synth station 25. It has been fun seeing mobile music grow.

Thanks @syrupcore, you have a good point there. Have to think about that, maybe some kind of locking mechanism, or switch to bars instead.

Cheers

ERik

• Oh, totally missed the second page there.. :)

@Kaikoo I think they sound like good ideas, I will definitely consider them. Muting the effects could be really nice. The crashes I have seen I think are related to core midi, I have submitted a patch for that, which should come soon I hope.

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 I could make a setting for the tooltip to be fixed or moving maybe. I always get the feedback of too low contrast, never seem to get it right. :) Maybe a setting for the color there too.

Cheers guys. Really appreciate it. :)

ERik

• @humbletune said:

thank you Erik, waiting for more update coming...

• edited May 2015

hi @humbletune

After more play, I found that the two LFO Filter wet/dry color cyan and pink bars are vivid, but the two round grey color dots are not that good to show which side they are belonging to. Can you adjust their color by showing left side to cyan and right to pink? Delay dots should also be done for L/R coloring! It makes sense to do so! Erik thank you!

• @humbletune

Loving Strng!
    Along with the suggestions that others have made I would like to be able to Glide, gliss on the keyboard.
    I left Strng open in the background on my new phone last night (the only app that I didn't kill) and the battery went down by 20% overnight so it would be nice if it saved energy when it was not in the foreground.

• Yeah great app thanks, please add Audiobus state saving too if possible :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Yeah great app thanks, please add Audiobus state saving too if possible :)

Extra enthusiastic voting for this over here as well :) And glide....

• Lots of good input. @solador78, I have played around for a few days with the idea of aftertouch but not hit on anything that is good enough yet. I am thinking my old friend bit crush could be a nice effect to have on individual notes. It is a balance act though here with performance and things.

@yowza With glide I am guessing, this is a glide between two notes. My first though was that I couldn't do it but now I think I can maybe, with a bit of work, but probably also means a change in the keyboard mechanics. More effort required there.

@Kaikoo With the coloured dots, I am not sure I want them to be coloured at all times but some kind of marker when dragging could be nice. This is just a matter of aesthetics, maybe I am a bit weird there. I will think about that one.

And sorry @yowza about the battery, I have never managed to come up with a good way of dealing with switching between background audio and not. At the moment strng will stay running in the background until it is forced close. Things might have changed in the APIs though since last time I tried, so it might be possible to do something there.

@Carnbot @JohnnyGoodyear And last ab state saving, I don't see any problems there. I will include that in a coming release.

Thanks guys. :)

ERik

• @humbletune said:
    Lots of good input. solador78, I have played around for a few days with the idea of aftertouch but not hit on anything that is good enough yet. I am thinking my old friend bit crush could be a nice effect to have on individual notes. It is a balance act though here with performance and things.

I was hoping for a list of CCs to assign, like being able to choose from length, tension, delay amount, delay time, filter cutoff, etc. It's a great synth as is though. Thanks!!

• edited May 2015

@solador78 I see, that would be cool. Lets try and break it down. I might not have thought it all through properly. I think there are some issues with using most already existing parameters though.

Take noise length for example, this only last for a fraction of a second. Like the first domino brick, once it has fallen the system just is just running on its own from that point. Tension filter, changing this from a low tension to a high tension would bring the excited vibrating system to a calm state without any energy left, in other words the note is dead, sliding the finger back to a low tension would not make it alive again.

Changing the post effects is an interesting idea. The problem here as I see it is with 10 fingers you might have 10 notes going but only one effect, which finger would control the effect, maybe the first one to land on the screen, or maybe the last one to move. I am not sure here.

I hope I don't come off as rude, just trying to wrap my head around the problem. Need to sleep on this one maybe and see what other synths are doing.

I know enkl by klevgränd does some modulation on the keyboard but they benefit from being monophonic and strng is poly.

Cheers

ERik

• edited May 2015

Thanks for thinking about a way to lock the delay time. If there's a way to avoid the glitching when changing the delay time, that'd be even better. I was doing some droney/loopy stuff when I was trying to adjust the feedback fairly regularly (letting old things fade away, introducing new loops) and ran into it. If the delay changed a bit while doing that it wouldn't be a big deal if the glitching didn't happen. Whichever is easier. Odd thing is... I like the glitching. :) Except when I don't.

+1 for keeping your sense of aesthetics! Love the look and feel of your apps. I think an indication onDrag of the grey dots is a great compromise and fits in with the rest of the controls.

And +1 to assign aftertouch (and/or velocity) to any of the CCs (edit: just read your reply above, so... meaningful/usable CCs) as well as the glide request—even if glide was monophonic.

• @syrupcore Hey, I like glitching too, except when I don't. :) I think maybe I can remove the glitches by sliding between the delay times instead of just changing it. I have to run some tests though.

That is a good point that the glide (this is a pitch change right?!) could be global, a bit like a whammy bar on a guitar.

Hmm, many things to think about now. It's good stuff. :)

ERik

• Great...Look forward to the tweaks bit it's already a nice little instrument.

p.s One must never go "full Minter"

• @humbletune said:
    solador78 I see, that would be cool. Lets try and break it down. I might not have thought it all through properly. I think there are some issues with using most already existing parameters though.
    I hope I don't come off as rude, just trying to wrap my head around the problem. Need to sleep on this one maybe and see what other synths are doing.

No problem. Please check out Animoog's ENV/MOD tab for the Poly Pressure Destination assignment control. Thanks!

• @ERik

Thanks for your presence here. Great app!

• @humbletune appreciate your comments (and your aesthetic :). I agree with what The Professor says above, especially as regards I like the glitching. :) Except when I don't.

T'was ever thus....

• thanks for another great one Humbletune.

• @syrupcore Well, sliding between delays was a very stupd idea. Not sure what I was thinking there. It did produce some quite cool effects though. :) There might be another very experimental app somewhere in there. Locking the delay time is probably the best way forward, as a first step anyway.

@anickt @kobamoto Thanks guys and a big thanks to everone has bought the app.

Cheers

ERIk

• Sounds great.I think my app addiction wins again for only 1,99 euro.

• I think Sliding between delays is great actually—just like having a delay time knob on a hardware unit. But yeah, whichever is easier, I'll be more than happy with it (as I'm already happy with the app).

• I think I have figured out the crashes seen when using some midi apps. There is an error in setting the tempo with midi, which can cause some bad values. I will try to get a patch out as soon as possible. However there is a workaround until then, we can stop apps from trying to set the bpm by setting the cc value to a value no app could send.

From what I understand cc values go from 0-127, setting the tempo bpm cc to 128 should be safe for all apps.

Sorry about that.

ERik

• Thanks for the explanation. Look forward to the fix. Still love the app :)

• Thanks Erik, can I add to feature requests the ability to set bpm lower than 60? As low as you can go :)

In fact sometimes I set it at 60, then I'll touch it and then it can't go below 63 until I load a preset, not sure why...

• @Cambot Hmmm, I am not sure either, will look in to that. But I can go a bit lower on the bpm should be fine. :)

Thanks

ERik

• @humbletune said:
    Cambot Hmmm, I am not sure either, will look in to that. But I can go a bit lower on the bpm should be fine. :)

Thanks

ERik

We like it slow.

• Ha :) yes indeed

• How many presets come with this synth?