Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Armageddon

When I first heard the original version of this song, by talented singer/songwriter, Marie Piekarski I thought that I would love to add some bigger sounds to it. It turned out that Marie was looking for the same thing and here is the result!

I added drums, bass, guitars, organ, strings :)
Apps used: Cubasis, Jamup Pro, Galileo, Roland Sound Canvas, Audio Mastering.

Comments

• @AlterEgo_UK it constantly amazes me the range of material that you can turn your hand to. But, I must say that I think you overdid the powerful sounds in relation to this singers voice. It seems like she has to fight to keep up when the drums kick in and I don't think that suits the character of her voice so much. The music is very professional sounding otherwise.

• Thanks! :)
    @Jocphone: that is interesting you should say that. Another commenter elsewhere felt that the drums could be "bigger" in the mix. Just goes to show :)

• @AlterEgo_UK yeah there is a lot of personal taste in any advice and it can be difficult to interpret what people mean by their comments. Maybe another approach would be to think about it in terms of space and that if the production was opened out, moving some of the instrumentation further out in the stereo field, that might give the the vocals a bit more room?

I listened to your track another couple of times. I think this singers voice sits in a similar place to someone like Kate Bush in her middle period so I went to listen to Running up that Hill and Hounds of Love for comparison. The production there is interesting in that the drums have a more powerful feel but also seem to get out of the way of vocals. They seem to do this by adding lots of space effects but rolling off some of the mid-to-higher frequencies to distance them from the vocals.

Anyway, enough of me blathering on. It's a good track and it grew on me the more I listened to it.

• Thanks, @Jocphone! I really appreciate your advice. I will have a tinker around with the drums and stereo field. I am really a bit of a novice when it comes to production/mixing :)