Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Moronic basic Midi question...

I'm trying connect a Yamaha PSR-262 as a Midi controller. I've got a basic midi-to-USB y-cord and a Lightning CCK. plugged IN to In and OUT to Out, turned on the Yamaha and the plugged it into the Ipad4. Turned on various apps (Sunrizer, Nlog, Magellan, Soundprism, etc) but although they all see something for "Port 1" and Session 1, no app responds to Yamaha keys being pressed. I already tried reversing In & Out with the same process no success. Sorry for such a newbie type question, I've always been a physical-Instruments-only musician 'till now. Thanx in advance to the most helpful forum there is!
Ps: which writes better song: Musix Pro or Polychord? I use Soundprism Pro all the time but want some variety for my next $10 app.

Comments

• Did you try in to out and out to in? That's usually how it works I believe.

• Yep, no results either way.

• Do you know what channel the yamaha is transmitting on?

• If u can't find what midi channel the yami is on try setting the synth to all, any, or omni. I'm no expert on this midi stuff either just suggesting things that I try when stuff don't work.

• IN on one side usually connects to the OUT on the other device with midi. If you cable that way and it still doesn't work, then it's most likely a config in an app....unless your controller isn't supporting midi properly.

• Everything is set to Omni, I wonder if this keyboard is not set to current Midi standards. I don't know where to figure that out. My Y-cable has an Out plug and an In plug, I've tried it on my Yamaha both ways, of c
    Of course the other end is a single USB plug that goes into my lightning CCK adapter which gets plugged into the Ipad.

• Here's something I just found about its Midi stuff, however as a newbie I can't tell what it means:

Manuals → Brands → Yamaha → Electronic Keyboard → psr-262 → Owner's manual
    Yamaha psr-262 Owner's Manual [Page 58]: Midi Implementation Chart
    Yamaha portatone owner's manual.
    MIDI Implementation Chart YAMAHA [ PSR-262 ] Model Function... Basic Default Channel Changed Default Mode Messages Altered Note Number : True voice ************** Velocity Note ON Note OFF After Key's Touch Ch's Pitch Bend Control Change 91,93,94 x Prog Change : True # System Exclusive : Song Pos. Common : Song Sel. : Tune System : Clock Real Time: Commands Aux :All Sound OFF :Reset All Cntrls x :Local ON/OFF :All Notes OFF Mes- :Active Sense sages:Reset Mode 1 : OMNI ON , POLY Mode 3 : OMNI OFF, POLY 58 PSR-262 MIDI Implementation Chart Transmitted 1 - 7,10 x 3 x ************** 0 - 127 o 9nH,v=1-127 *1 x 9nH,v=0 x x x 0,32 o 7 o 10 o 6,38 x 64 o 71-74 x 84 o 96-97 x 98,99 x 100-101 x o 0 - 127 ************** o x x x x x x x x o x Mode 2 : OMNI ON ,MONO Mode 4 : OMNI OFF,MONO Recognized 1 - 7,10 x 3 x x 0 - 127 0 - 127 o 9nH,v=1-127 x 9nH,v=0 or 8nH x x x *2 o o o x o x o x x x x *3 o 0 - 127 *4 o x x x x x x x x x o x Date:26-JAN-2000 Version : 1.0 Remarks *2 Bank Select LSB,MSB Volume Pan Data Entry Sustain Portamento Cntrl RPN Inc,Dec NRPN LSB,MSB RPN LSB,MSB *3 *3 *4 o : Yes x : No

• Download "MIDI monitor" (it's FREE) and it will show ANY MIDI that is being received by iOS.

If you do not see anything being displayed in MIDI Monitor, then I would recommend connecting the MIDI-to-USB y-cord to a Mac/PC and see if it is recognized there. There have been some cheap knock-off cables sold online that didn't work with iOS.

Have you used your Yamaha MIDI with any other hardware? Not familiar with it.

See page 52 of the manual http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/PSR262E.pdf

• Accompaniment off
    • MIDI data can not be transmitted during song play back
  • As far as an midi controller apps go I like Sound Prism Pro and Musix Pro don't have Polychord but since I installed Cantor I find myself ignoring Musix Pro. The two iFretless apps also make interesting controllers for other Midi apps. But Cantor makes microtonal play the default. Which sounds more human/sloppy/musical to me.

• There is definitely something to the local on/off when your using it as a midi controller, I remember this from a Casio I used to own.

• Thanx everybody for trying to help. Midi monitor didn't find it even after I reset the signal per the user manual @Ganthofer provided. I never tried to use it for Midi on anything til now. Maybe I'll just take it to a pawn shop and look for current USB keyboard.

• Its probably not the keyboard since this clearly supports midi as per the midi implementation chart. It may be you have to turn midi transmit on, or select the port on your keyboard. If you think this is working, it may be a dodgy cable as has been suggested.

• IanIan
    edited April 2013

I've actually got an even older Yamaha 403 which works perfectly via the camera kit. The connection is a square to usb, like a printer, unlike yours, which looks like a proper midi connection. Yamaha have some software which allows you to do something to connect it to a pc so try that. At least you'll know if its the cable and not the keyboard. Ps it usually tells me this ipad doesn't support this keyboard as soon as I connect it. Doesn't stop it working
    Pps do you have input and output connected at the same time? I think you're supposed to. And do you have "song" mode selected? It says it won't transmit midi if you do