Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(Fixed) iConnectAudio4+ Crackling Noise issues with iPad.

FIXED: New bios update fixed this.

I thought it would be better to start a separate thread to discuss this issue. Also want to point out the the iConnectivity support has been very good working on this issue with me.

To recap I am getting crackling noises in my iCA4+ when I use it with y iPad. I have used it with Bias/JamUp and Bias FX/Bias. The crackling starts pretty quickly in JamUp but usually takes a lot longer in Bias FX. I believe that it is related to the Headphones output as I always use headphones currently and how I adjust the headphones settings impacts how quickly this problem occurs. The noise is not recorded on the iPad when I record using the recorder in JamUp Pro so it must be occurring after that.

Questions for those of you who have or are using the iCA4+ and have or not had noise issues.

1) Did you have the noise problems?
2) Did you have the noise problems using the headphone jack?
3) Did you have the noise problems using the output jacks?
4) Did you have the problems in you recordings or just in the output?
5) The crackling for me is kinda strange in that it always starts like the typical breakup form an overdriven signal peak, but doesn't go away as fast as the peak drops. Then it just starts appearing randomly, a little more each time until eventually its a constant issue usually 2-4 minutes or so later. From that point it just gets louder and louder until all I here is crackling static. Is this consistent with the noise you get?

Anything else you noticed in relation to the noise not mentioned above?

Comments

• Are you using a DAW? Might be related to the latency. That's a known issue that creates noise with the iConnect MIDI 2+

• No DAW, just a single guitar amp sim and the iCA4+. Don't always get the noise and it takes a while before it starts. As mentioned above, if I record the output at the app there is no noise, it is inserted between the app and the headphones output of the iCA4+.

• I've been getting the dreaded crackles on the ica4 too but haven't worked out if a setting fixes it completely. It would start similar way to how you describe and cascade and build up noise. But taking out the lightening cable and re-attaching it would fix it for a while.

Since then I've not using the headphone jack at all. Over the last few days I've been using the monitor outputs and not attached to the PC and I've had very little problems (although I'm not certain if there's never been any noise build up) in fact can't remember the last time I had a noise issue so you could be right it may be the headphone connection. I did however do a test recording into my PC after I first got it and do remember some crackles coming out on the recording.

It's also seemed to be performing better not attached to my PC, but it could be a coincidence.

I need to test some more but I've been very addicted to playing with 2 iPads with Auria controlling the other Auria on ipad 2 It's really opening up iPad music making for me. But yeah I do need to find out if this noise is going to be a problem....

• edited May 2015

Have you checked your sample and bit rates to make sure they match on the hardware and app? Also, if you are working with multiple apps you may want to use 44.1/16bit - which seems to have the best performance between all apps (as users have mentioned here).

If you continue having clocking issues, please submit an inquiry here for escalation:
    http://iConnectivity.com/support
    (Or you can update your ticket if you already have one created)

Cheers,

-JS

• Thanks Josh, I will do some more tests. I've been enjoying using it a lot over the last few days.
    Btw It does get pretty warm and quite hot on the metal bits during use is this normal?

• Latest bios update seems to have fixed the noise issue completely for me. iCA4+ working like a charm. :) Sounds awesome with Bias FX too!

• That's great news. I was still on the sidelines about the iCA4+, now that this problem is gone I think I'm going to take the plunge.

• Hey @Carnbot - yeah that is normal, no worries. We have tested smany units and they never get close to running at potential damaging temperatures (I actually leave mine on 24hr a day and I live in the desert, so it's rather warm in my place - like your average sweaty dive bar ha). I recommended that we post an FAQ to put any concerns at ease.

Of course, if your cooking eggs over there… please let us know.

For general concerns:
    http://www.iconnectivity.com/forum

For deeper troubleshooting assistance:
    http://www.iconnectivity.com/support

Cheers,
    -JS

• Hello,
    I ran into a similar issue with the iConnectAudio4+. I purchased the device a few months ago. I only use it running into my Ipad Pro using Auria Pro. After I resolved the latency issue I started getting a crackling delay sound intermittently while recording. The only way to stop it was to unplug the iconnect. I have checked all setting as per Iconnect but still have the issue. I'm lucky if I can record a single track complete without this happening. The trouble happens with one in, no outs using head phone jack or multiple ins, multiple outs - doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thank you,

David

• For this kind of problems it's important to know your IOS-, iCA4+-firmware- and iConfig-versions. I am on IOS 9.3.5, iCA4+-firmware 1.08 and iConfig 4.1.2 (for PC) and I have no problems (like latency or crackling sound, etc.) at all. Of course you should post your question on the iConnectivity forum (http://www.iconnectivity.com/forum#/categories/iconnectaudio4plus). There are some questions posted there about problems with IOS 10 and sorry to say) iConnectivity is still testing IOS 10 (!). Maybe your question/problem can speed them up a little?

• I am THIS close to buying the iCA4+-- I have the midi2+ but I am returning it because I can't get audio out when connecting two ios devices. I realized the ICA4+ is my best bet for two ios devices at the same time.

HOWEVER---all these problems I read about has me a little apprehensive to buy it. I have a 12.9" ipad pro and a 6s plus plus a tons of software on my windows 10 pc. I want to be able to use all of it together or any combo.

I am leaning towards the Zoom U44 or this.

Advice would be MUCH appreciated. I have about a 400 dollar budget and definitely want to be able to connect two computing devices.

• sigh

At some point after updating to iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, I started experiencing crackling noises. (This is on my iConnectivityMIDI4+, but it sounds like the same issue as what people with the iCA4+ are hearing.)

The exact same thing happened to me when I first updated to iOS 9 and Mac OS X El Capitan, and it turned out to be due to changes Apple's side. I know this because after one of the point releases on El Capitan, the problem went away (without making any changes to the iCM4+ firmware or any software or hardware settings).

Although I've been working with iConnectivity Support to troubleshoot the crackling in my current configuration, I'm not very hopeful the issue will be resolved until Apple comes out with yet another OS point release.

I will tell you this, however: When the host software is compatible with the iConnectivity hardware, that little box is just plain awesome.

• I have the iConnectAudio2 and am having the same issue.

It is frustrating since I just got it.

For anyone having this issue, are you having it only in Audiobus?

I have replaced USB hubs and all wire upgrades, but still there it is. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and am really discouraged.

I believe to hear the sound when I also switch apps inside audiobus. Not sure what direction that would take this to look. It think it somehow seems related at one degree or another to MIDI somehow potentially as well.

I am just trying to put my info out there so maybe this could be solved.

• @RustiK said:
    I have the iConnectAudio2 and am having the same issue.

I have replaced USB hubs and all wire upgrades, but still there it is. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and am really discouraged.

I believe to hear the sound when I also switch apps inside audiobus. Not sure what direction that would take this to look. It think it somehow seems related at one degree or another to MIDI somehow potentially as well.

Make sure you are on 44.1/24 bit or 44.1/16 bit and that the iconnect usb drivers are set to the same latency as the ipad or auto. You can also try changing the buffer audio frames setting and sync frame settings in iconfig for windows.

Best bet is to ask Iconnectivity for help though.

• @Carnbot said:

@RustiK said:
    I have the iConnectAudio2 and am having the same issue.

Make sure you are on 44.1/24 bit or 44.1/16 bit and that the iconnect usb drivers are set to the same latency as the ipad or auto. You can also try changing the buffer audio frames setting and sync frame settings in iconfig for windows.

Best bet is to ask Iconnectivity for help though.

Thanks man!

I appreciate you help.