Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Herrmutt Lobby (Beatsurfing) are cooking up something new for iOS

too cool

Comments

• The heck! Looks very interesting.

• one question, is this going to be self contained or will it only be a controller like beat surfing cause I will be pissed if the latter?

• any of you guys doing the beta, is it a controller or is it a self contained app with samples on board?

• I'm wondering the same, I'm not beta testing it so I can only guess and I'm guessing self contained - maybe to get more people into Beatsurfing. I have difficulties finishing a song - to then also built a controller for it in Beatsurfing is a bit too much for my lazy ass even though I'm sure it is worth it to be able to perform your song in an organic way like that. I think they're doing dope music so I'm in either way.

• great creative types behind it all for sure, I'm just finally down to not getting anymore apps that are not self contained and/ or don't allow sample import /export it's just ridiculous when this kind of music is so prevalent and still having to wait for what should be bare bone features.... if it's self contained I'm in for sure!

• Just got the beta invite -- totally self contained at the moment. There are 6 completely different "scenes" preloaded (the video demo was done with "Orval_Curry") that each correspond to their own unique sound set.

I think @firejan82 was right that this might be the way to get people to see the possibilities with Beatsurfing. The app is called playgraund and it looks like a "best of" showing of Beatsurfing's capabilities. Each scene sounds very much like the guys loaded it with sample hits for a single song and then split up the samples across a minimal set of pads that access different pitches when a new "root" is chosen, if that makes sense. In this way, the design is still pretty incredible. By streamlining huge sample sets into this 10-piece manipulatable format, you save a ton of visual space and can find new configurations easily.

What's cool is that some of the synth buttons are mini XY pads that can shape the sample output immediately and without the use of another finger. It's absolutely a blast to toy with.

After a few minutes, though, I was wishing for a sample import function -- which really is just an intermediary step between playgraund's self contained fun and Beatsurfing's overwhelming openness. Because each scene is laid out differently visually, including a function to lay your own samples into the stock scenes in playgraund will box the user's expression into the parameters that made the most sense for Herrmutt Lobby's original sample set. Maybe future versions of playgraund will feature the user programming options of Beatsurfing, but keep the sounds internal rather than act only as a controller. It's listed as being in Alpha 1.4, so it's entirely possible this is in the works.

Long post, first post. hopefully all that made sense.

• @dderks Thanks for the update/input. And welcome aboard etc.

• edited May 2015

This looks fun. So... um... Beatsurfing + Gadget ??

• Thanks @JohnnyGoodyear!

After a quick shower, I thought about what features would be most helpful in an app like this -- which is, at its core, more a video game with the illusion of open world rather than a truly open world (you're really just remixing 6 songs that Hermutt Lobby included). I think that being able to choose parameters like key/scale, ADSR for certain samples, maybe even a way to lengthen synth hits for drone sounds -- these would all allow more user input without losing the sandbox.

• @dderks Thanks for the info. So it's like an bunch of interactive Herrmutt Lobby songs. That still sounds pretty awesome to me. If we want to do that with our own songs we need to use Beatsurfing and put in the effort, they are just trying to show us how awesome it can be when we do.

@solador78 Probably not an ideal combo, you can only control one of the Gagdets, there's no MIDI channels as far as I'm aware.

• Thank you for the info dderks, appreciate it allot.

@fj, I wish beat surfing would allow sample import and I'd be doing the work all day.

• Beatsurfing and Tabletop is probably a good combo, @kobamoto you know you can MIDI learn all the pads in iMPC PRO within Tabletop

• Yes and thanks, I'm just looking for a one state solution : ) even the playground app would be quite dope if you could just import and that's without being able to change their templates. I'm gonna shoot them a request, surely they are the kind of folks that understand the desire, but then again we are living in the age where the makers of ninjajamm of all people don't want to let us use our own samples.

• Sent them an invite to this thread, hopefully they will let us know what's what, we are lucky to have them on iOS already so I'll keep my fingers crossed

• Would be cool if this were both self contained and midi out.

• Yes for sure! They hit the like button on my facebook invite so maybe they'll give us a visit

• any word yet... nope.... :(

• ok well got another reply about playground, they said they look forward to reading me on their beta forum. sounds like they will not show up here. I am not doing any beta so could you guys doing the beta ask the questions about sample import on the beta fb group page and report back here as to what the answers are, pretty please?

• @kobamoto I think they are not planning sample import as would be too complex, like someone said above I think beatsurfing would be way to go for this kind of interface using your own samples. i think they are working on a way to record your performances and export to other apps so although is limited to the preset sounds there is potential to export performance and do something creative with it in other apps as sample fodder

• i see, ok thanks. Have you found that you could access the sample folders with ifunbox?

• isn't it weird it's like this is basically half of what I ask for in every app, import and a way to record performance and export....well my glass is definitely half full.

• Spectacular demos! This app demos really, really well.

Side note, I've been looking for something like LaunchPad but for MIDI instead of audio. Maybe I need to take a hard look at Beatsurfing. It seems like it might be easier — and more flexible — to "wire up" Beatsurfer's MIDI to my instruments, than to record my own audio bits and bobs (loops) and import them into Launchpad for playback.

• @thus said:
    Spectacular demos! This app demos really, really well.

Side note, I've been looking for something like LaunchPad but for MIDI instead of audio. Maybe I need to take a hard look at Beatsurfing. It seems like it might be easier — and more flexible — to "wire up" Beatsurfer's MIDI to my instruments, than to record my own audio bits and bobs (loops) and import them into Launchpad for playback.

have you tried Auxy?

• I'm so surprised that people aren't talking more about hermutt lobby, they have the potential to be up there with audioshare and Samplr when it comes to iOS importance if they want to be..., if they include sample import in there apps it will create a revolution in iOS beat machines..... total game changer, every dev will start including similar functionality in their beat machine apps, their app might even be more intuitively functional than Samplr and that's just ridiculously good. Most Underrated by far

• @kobamoto said:
    have you tried Auxy?

Yes, I'm a fan. It's probably a better option than Beatsurfing, though they are different obviously.

• So can I replicate these kind of interactive ui's in beatsurf? If so I will buy it right now

• Hi everyone,

I'm Edwin from Herrmutt Lobby. I should have come in here earlier, but i just found the path for it today. Sadly i missed your previous invitation.

First of all, thanks for all the love, it's really appreciated ! :)

As stated on our new website : www.getplayground.com : "Playground is a new way to experience the music of artists from around the globe.".

It's not by any mean a prof. app, it's targeted to the general public (or musicians on their free time). Our purpose is to let them feel the fun and rewarding experience that a musician have when he master it's instrument. And provide that with a very small learning curve.

In the first public version there will be only scenes (template) made by Herrmutt Lobby and Richard Colvaen. Although in the closed beta you can already play with some by Ssaliva or Beath. New scenes are in the work, and the plan is to release (at least) one new every week, with some big names coming (but i can't give details about that).

So we'll be in public beta in Holland next week with a full release targeted for September. While we get there you still can join the beta by subscribing on www.getplayground.com (and send me a PM just to be sure).

:)

ps: there is 3 more videos on the website ;)