Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beat Twirl (on the bus)

Have anyone tried this one? I've held of cos of all the problems with the app being unstable (hopefully better in this version tho). The only thing I'd like to know is if it's capable of "remixing" a beat or randomize the beat slices? Or can you only add/replace slices with other sounds? It would be redundant, for me, if it couldn't (since you can slice in any other iOS editor basically).

Link : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beat-twirl/id423200027?mt=8

Comments

• edited April 2013

Hey Chris, you beat me by a minute. I bought BeatTwirl last year and it was so buggy, I stopped using it altogether. How specifically? When I would try to export stuff out and and every now and then, it would shut down. But after the update today, it seems to be working fine. It shut down on me once, but after I restarted my iPhone, it hasnt had any problems since and exports to Loopy and Audioshare fine. If it could open in Beatmaker, that would be great. You mentioned other apps can do what Beat Twirl does? Could you name them? The only other one I can think of would be Beatmaker's Choplab but BT is nice as it's dedicated solely to slicing up the beat. From a practical standpoint, Ive been using it to find musical ideas, loading in say a Blue Note jazz drum loop, and coming up with crazy rhythms in odd timings that I never would've come up with on a drum machine much less playing live (unless I was on LSD or shrooms haha). It also has a sensitivity setting that you can adjust and see where it slices the beat, You can copy and paste each slice into other sections, mute certain slices but I cant seem to delete the individual slices.

oh you can also add percussion elements from their built in samples but i havent put together anything worth saving using them. If we could load in our own samples like a deep kick, that would be cool but as of right now, nope.

hope this helps

• edited April 2013

Thanks, sounds good about the stability issues. I know it's like Recycle in that it automatically scans and put markers on each slice, I just meant I could do it manually in any other app. This app on the other hand would be really useful if it also along with the auto detection could rearrange and repeat the slices on the fly coming up with a new crazy beat. Kinda like Stylus RMX (vst) does with it's loop remix/chaos thing.

• warning, it just shut down on me again. After i restarted, right back where i was. so if you dont mind restarting once in awhile, can still be of use but its still not perfect

• Ok, thanks. I'll hold of on this one and see if they fix all the memory issues..

• edited April 2013

And I just noticed something new. Skip slice does not work on either ipad or iphone version or the delete slice function. It just deletes the slice marker so it essentially just merges the two slices together. so the fact that skip doesnt work and delete slice, dont see how this is usable in current state.

double tapping iphone seems to cause it to crash sometimes but you dont need to double it most of time as you can just press down for few sec. for menu to pop up. Yeah, def buggy. I came down hard on another app that i thought was buggy but it ended up that it was just confusing so im gonna stop commenting from here. All i can say is skip and delete was working before update, now it seems it doesnt. It can export fine now so at least thats beem fixed. Hopefully theres a more knowledgeable beat twirler here

• Hi, I'm the developer of Beat Twirl. Sorry for the slow update pace for Beat Twirl, that should improve going forward. Yes, the app has been un-stable, especially since iOS 6 came out. This version should improve things considerably. Please email me at support at tivstudio dot com if you encounter additional issues.

• Thnx Tiv, just emaile you. Slice delete and skip dont seem to work. Delete function doesnt delete slice, it only deletes the slice market so it just blends the selected slice with slice before it. Skip doesnt do anything.

• edited April 2013

PaulB: Yepp! I should have known Sunvox had sample offset like that (is there anything it doesn't do lol). I do have the iOS version of Sunvox so I'm definitely gonna give it a spin to see how the workflow is on a touchscreen. Thanks.

• Wow, thats pretty cool. I never thought of using a tracker that way.

• It seems at times almost as if SunVox can be used any way you can imagine.

• That Sunvox vid is cool

• Received this today from developer:

Found the skip bug, fixed it. Will roll it with the next update, hopefully in the next few days.

Regarding the delete, it seems to be working fine, that is doing what it's supposed to do. It is only supposed to delete the slice marker, not the actual audio that is in the slice. One of the principles of Beat Twirl is that it doesn't modify the original audio. I think the skip (if it worked…) does what you want, which is not play the audio in the slice and skip the timeline right to the next slice. E.g. if you have 3 slices and you skip the middle one, slice 1 will play immediately followed by slice 3. The other option is to mute the slice, which doesn't play it, but doesn't change the time line. Back in the 3 slice example, if you mute the middle slice and play, slice 1 will play, followed by silence for the duration of slice 2, followed by slice 3 playing.

Guy

• Just updated!

Skip slice issue has been fixed along with other stuff.

Many thanks to dev!

• still don't quite understand this app. can someone explain or direct me to a good video? thanks in advance.

• Sorry dont have a video but i use it to come up with unique rhythms and new beats from existing loops of samples, drum beats, or both.

• Vs Beatmaker 2 ?

• Totally different animals. BM2 is a much deeper application with many features where beat twirl is like a dedicated Chop Lab sorta speak.

• dedicated chop lab is a great description, thanks!

• And then save to audioshare ?

Not sure where it fits....can I play the beats/slices via midi ?

• am i missing something? what does this offer that samplr doesn't?

• edited May 2013

@Dave No midi that I could find but you can export the specific slices out to a midi compatible app.

When I find a groove I like, I usually just record it and keep it as a loop

@ Matt I actually have Samplr but truthfully I haven't learned it well enough yet to comment on differences. My initial thoughts were, wow this is freaking great, started playing with sound fx, messing with parameters but I guess the brilliance of beat twirl to me is its focused simplicity. Load up a song, drum loop, and start messing around with slices. Samplr was so powerful, I got carried away and haven't even tried chopping up a beat once. If anybody else could comment, I'd also like to know.

Can you adjust the sensitivity of the slices in Samplr? Like where it will place the specific lines? Can it do what bm2 chop lab can do?