Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bias FX

Landed in US app store. I'm proud to say that I've held out for the entire six minutes so far.

BIAS FX by Positive Grid Inc
https://appsto.re/us/yi_43.i

Comments

• No brainier for me :)
    I have no will power!

• WOW! Resistance is futile.

• kinda pricey...and, if the past is anything to go by, it'll be on sale in a few weeks time...

It'll be interesting to see how these effects compare to their own JamUp ones, which do integrate well with BIAS:AMPS. Couldn't find a list of which particular effects are included either. Waiting for reviews...

• I am assuming that this is the regular price and regular features so no hurry to buy it unless anyone hears differently. I didn't see any mention of MIDI control like JamUp has, in particular AirTurn control. Has anyone seen anything on that? I use an AirTurn with JamUp and would ant to with this as well.

• I don't get this one as such. I'm wondering why you would want these FX, if you have the Jam-up ones already ? Are there many more of these ones / are they better ?

• iOS 8 only :(

• Hilarious app pricing with ToneStack at 0,99€, Auria Pro 25€...

• Hey, I hit the link above, but could never find where they listed what effects are included in Bias FX. Anyone know?

• Also, Bias FX is an example of the problem with Music Apps and pricing. First they had Jam Up with Amps and FX, so I bought that. Then, instead of improving Jam Up, they introduced Bias, so I bought that. Now, instead of improving the effects in Jam Up, which hosts Bias, they introduce Bias FX. Apple's policy of not allowing charges for updates forces companies to introduce new apps, instead of improving old ones, seems to be the problem. I hate to say it, but Apps are just too cheap, with too many sales. I hope Apple can address this problem.

• @Peanutcram said:
    Hilarious app pricing with ToneStack at 0,99€, Auria Pro 25€...

/
    / Auria pro was released? Say what?.

• @Tritonman said:

No no :( Sorry for confusing. I just wonder about app pricing and what you get for it.
    Auria won't be released too soon.

• edited April 2015

It's not the money (ok maybe it is), but I don't want to pay for what I already own; which is Jam-up/BIAS.

• edited April 2015

I have to agree that my boss GT-6 sounds light years better as well, but on the good side, I can still record that into my iPad! I won't likely be getting anymore ios guitar effects as I have plenty and they sound decent however the Boss definately blows them out of the water!

• edited April 2015

@Tritonman said:
    I have to agree that my boss GT-6 sounds light years better as well, but on the good side, I can still record that into my iPad! I won't likely be getting anymore ios guitar effects as I have plenty and they sound decent however the Boss definately blows them out of the water!

Geesh, the GUI with this FX is awesome. Just have doubts about everything else.

• Disagree, the FX in Tonestack and Flying Haggis are pretty decent. I'm willing to give BIAS FX a chance but none of the marketing videos have any actual sounds from the app, bizarre selling technique if you ask me.

If you're comparing older apps such as Jamup and Amplitube, then sure, they totally suck.

• edited April 2015

You honestly like flying haggis over your GT-6? This is the very first I have heard of such a thing, I do like Haggis also but not even remotely close to Boss.
    Perhaps your GT-6 is broken? Hehe,

• edited April 2015

@richardyot said:
    Disagree, the FX in Tonestack and Flying Haggis are pretty decent. I'm willing to give BIAS FX a chance but none of the marketing videos have any actual sounds from the app, bizarre selling technique if you ask me.

If you're comparing older apps such as Jamup and Amplitube, then sure, they totally suck.

Yes, I've used Tonestack. It's ok, and Hagis is ok, but weird and limited as heck. Otherwise i'd use it.
    I just find even the cheap hardware multis to be much better.

• Yes, it's the paying for things twice that I'm not keen on.

Just downloaded Tonestack, on a first session listen, it's not too pleasant. Not a patch on Bias - which has perfectly decent FX (the wah, for example is as good as anything). My experience comes out of having played guitar for many years and I've used lots of gear in that time.

Bias on iPad was a revelation to me, I'd never heard anything decent on Desktop previously, but are these (extra) FX worth it, I wonder...

• edited April 2015

I've got Tonestack, not massively impressed to be honest. I am impressed with Bias FX though after listening to this: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/8521/the-wall-and-shine-on-lead-guitar-done-with-bias-fx#latest

I bet David Gilmour spent more than £23 to get his guitar to sound like that.

• This reminds me of Guitar Rig, which I already have on the Mac. I'd be curious if someone could run some synths through Bias FX and post a video though.

• I've got some massively great sounds using JamUp and Bias Amps. The distortion rivals my Boss gt-3, if not even better. As for the other effects, gt-3 is much better, and Tone Stack as well for everything except distortion. Distortion sucks poo on Tone stack. Sounds too digital on my gt-3, gt-8's I have tried. Or maybe that was a gt-10............

I want to get Bias FX, but I agree, paying for things twice sux. I put everything into JamUp pro. And ya, instead of improving it, they come out with a completely new app. Few years, and it will be something different, and Bias will be tossed to the wayside. Wonder if Final Touch will ever see any love? It doesn't do much for me, compared to Igor's apps.......

• edited April 2015

Here are my initial thoughts on this, based on nothing other than reading this thread and viewing the App Store page:

• It looks very nicely put together, as things from Positive Grid generally are;
    • $29.99 does seem about $10 too expensive, given that original BIAS debuted at around $19.99 in late 2013 (IIRC) and went on sale constantly after that;
    • I agree with some posters that this feels a bit redundant, given the integration already offered with BIAS amps into JamUp XT; BUT
    • I would not be surprised if these effects were of notably better quality;
    • Having to run BIAS along with this new add-on/plug-in (?) simultaneously integrated is going to be a significant resource hog
    • Despite all of those concerns, I probably still would be very tempted to try it, BUT
    • I have an iPad2 on iOS7, so I'm finally at the point where I can't keep up anymore with these new releases :(

@monzo and @Nubus are posters I haven't talked with before, but I unfortunately kind of agree with their criticism. I've mentioned else where that I spent all of 2014 with a massive app addiction - it basically supplanted my guitar gear addiction and I bought up pretty much everything available to play guitar through iPad, and played guitar almost exclusively through iPad that year.

Now that I've gone back to physical equipment (small combo amps, pedals, and even headphone amps and portable solutions like the Vox Amplug and Zoom G1on), it really does sound and behave better that the iPad equivalents. Latency of any kind just kills guitar playing - the phrase "touch sensitive" is a big deal to guitar gear enthusiasts, but how can something be touch sensitive if you have a 20-35ms delay before you even hear sound after hitting a note? Yes, the newer iDevices are better, but it IS refreshing to just play the instrument and not have to worry about the CPU performance generating my tone.

With all of that negativity in mind, iPad guitar playing is still useful not because of how great the guitar sounds are, but because of how well they can be integrated into DAW's and combined with other apps for infinite recording possibilities. The modeling apps are extremely flexible and sound "good enough" to incorporate quickly into other projects. But as a standalone way to practice or play guitar? It has appeal, but can also be quite limiting.

• The ability to run external IAA effects within the BIAS FX chain seems appealing. Would this feature work when using it in Audiobus? Come to think of it, does BIAS FX even support Audiobus?

• Storm - BIAS FX is iOS 8.0 and up, so beware if you are considering buying.

• edited April 2015

So what I don't buy from a coding perspective is that these effects have been completely rewritten from the ground up for new technology. These effects and amps have been modeled and re-licensed over and over again.

What are you actually getting?

• Better UI and routing taking the best of Tonestack and incorporating into Bias

• A platform that Positive Grid can grow based on Bias brand recognition (Not a bad thing but expect a sunset for Jamup)

• Stronger integration into desktop app and bias amp ios app

These are definitely benefits, but I don't buy the sound quality over other amp sims. Anything can sound good when it's over compressed and covered in reverb.

• @kennyg75 said:
    So what I don't buy from a coding perspective is that these effects have been completely rewritten from the ground up for new technology. These effects and amps have been modeled and re-licensed over and over again.

What are you actually getting?

• Better UI and routing taking the best of Tonestack and incorporating into Bias

• A platform that Positive Grid can grow based on Bias brand recognition (Not a bad thing but expect a sunset for Jamup)

• Stronger integration into desktop app and bias amp ios app

These are definitely benefits, but I don't buy the sound quality over other amp sims. Anything sound can sound good when it's over compressed and covered in reverb.

Hmmm.... interesting points. If this turns out to be true, then I really would not want to spend $30.00 on the same effects I have in JamUP. I like the sound I get with Bias and JamUp. Plus, I am afraid of any additions to Bias FX, would most likely be IAP. Which I saw one buyer say there are only 4 effects for each category? Surely more will be added, then I'd need to decide if I want to eat or buy more.

• edited April 2015

It seems similar to the hardware world, where shiny new versions of very similar tech get released to much hype every year or two. The difference here is the extremely low purchase cost (relative to hardware effects) of the apps, countered by the lack of any pre-owned resale value. Probably all evens itself out in the end.

• mmpmmp
    edited April 2015

I really don't understand their marketing at all. They're starting off at a premium price (150% BIAS:AMPS regular price) while everybody knows they do monthly 50% off (or even more) sales. We all know even BIAS:FX will be on sale in a week or two.

By asking this price, they've turned what could have been a no-brainer hit into a, well, 'let's wait for the reviews/sales' thing.

The 'why would I buy this if I already own JamUp?' They've allowed Yonac to steal their thunder by a massive discount on Tonestack. They're even competing with themselves with a 75% sale on JamUp.

What were they thinking???

• @mmp This is likely a growing trend. Early adopters are willing to pay the premium. Holderness is doing the same thing now. I would just wait it out.

• Are the effects stereo in and out by default? If so, I might be interested. Otherwise, there's just too much great stuff out there already.