Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The IMPC pro

Comments

• There is at least a little hope that Core Audio issues will be fixed in the next couple updates to their apps, why would they otherwise make a video where they make samples using 'external' dock and AudioCopy if it didn't work?

The only 'issue' in iMPC Pro that really bothers me is the constant need to unplug and re-plug the audio-interface.

AudioCopy and iMPC Pro also lack proper monitoring when recording so we could actually hear what is coming thru the inputs...(The input meters work but no audio is passed to the outputs = lack of 'monitor switch').

Looking at how similar the sample-editing is in AudioCopy and iMPC Pro is I'm pretty sure both apps share a fair bit of code, so once one app is updated it will also migrate to their other apps...

• @monzo said:

Not trying to stop the discussion here... but just to know, did that thing with Auria + iMPC work well? (Send Midi Start and Stop inside Auria)

I didn't have the time to check this myself, and I wasn't sure my solution was right... lol

• You can put iMPC Pro as an IAA app in MT DAW with MT DAW in the input slot of Audiobus. This used to work with Audioshare but no longer does (monitored sound doesn't go to Audiobus).

• @senhorlampada said:
    Not trying to stop the discussion here... but just to know, did that thing with Auria + iMPC work well? (Send Midi Start and Stop inside Auria)

Unfortunately not, iMPC Pro still launches into a song :(

• @Samu said:
    There is at least a little hope that Core Audio issues will be fixed in the next couple updates to their apps, why would they otherwise make a video where they make samples using 'external' dock and AudioCopy if it didn't work?

The only 'issue' in iMPC Pro that really bothers me is the constant need to unplug and re-plug the audio-interface.

AudioCopy and iMPC Pro also lack proper monitoring when recording so we could actually hear what is coming thru the inputs...(The input meters work but no audio is passed to the outputs = lack of 'monitor switch').

Looking at how similar the sample-editing is in AudioCopy and iMPC Pro is I'm pretty sure both apps share a fair bit of code, so once one app is updated it will also migrate to their other apps...

agree with everything you've ever said about this issue Samu, and even more hopeful that it all pans out.

• edited May 2015

@Paulinko said:
    You can put iMPC Pro as an IAA app in MT DAW with MT DAW in the input slot of Audiobus. This used to work with Audioshare but no longer does (monitored sound doesn't go to Audiobus).

Thanks @Paulinko this was the trick I couldn't remember

• edited February 2017

We're kicking off the week with an update for iMPC Pro and iMPC for iPhone. You won't want to miss it. @akai_pro

• @Goozoon said:
    We're kicking off the week with an update for iMPC Pro and iMPC for iPhone. You won't want to miss it. @akai_pro

Nice. Hopefully its now more stable! Cant wait till the update hits the store

• @ToMess said:

@Goozoon said:

Nice. Hopefully its now more stable! Cant wait till the update hits the store

Yes, very curious

• Curiouser still

• Be curious, not judgmental. (Whitman)

• Audio copy SDK update and stability. Haven't noticed any new features in the latest betas. I'd be surprised if they did just internal testing for a new build with a new version. But I doubt it.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Audio copy SDK update and stability. Haven't noticed any new features in the latest betas. I'd be surprised if they did just internal testing for a new build with a new version. But I doubt it.

Stability if in actuality is far better than fragility in perpetuity etc.

• So you announce ... a fix to a possible crash. And an update to the latest AudioCopy sdk. Hmph.

• they don't even need new features really , all they need is stability

• Is that it then? A bug fix warrants a dancing girl video? Hardly worth reinstalling and losing disk space.

• I just said what I've seen in the latest betas. It might be a new version tested with internal beta testers so they can keep it a secret.

So don't believe me 100%. I imagine there's a new feature or something, otherwise yeah, it would be a little foolish to hype it :)

• I love retronyms products so I am excited.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    So you announce ... a fix to a possible crash. And an update to the latest AudioCopy sdk. Hmph.

Thats almost as big as bm3..

Imo impc pro is really close to a perfect groovebox. BUT for me and many others(apparently not for everyone) it tends to randomly crash and often make you lose stuff.

So yea, stability is a big thing.

• BM3 will make this feel like a toy. Mug my words ;)

• @alecsbuga said:
    I just said what I've seen in the latest betas. It might be a new version tested with internal beta testers so they can keep it a secret.

So don't believe me 100%. I imagine there's a new feature or something, otherwise yeah, it would be a little foolish to hype it :)

The update in the store says it's fixed a crash at startup, and ensures AudioCopy SDK is up to date.

• @alecsbuga said:
    BM3 will make this feel like a toy. Mug my words ;)

Maybe so, but this toy seems to do everything i really need from such an app. Not sure if bm3 can really offer me anything that this doesent, or maybe it can

• does bm3 offer time signature and tempo automation now?

• @ToMess said:

@alecsbuga said:

Maybe so, but this toy seems to do everything i really need from such an app. Not sure if bm3 can really offer me anything that this doesent, or maybe it can

True. Each with his own needs. If you just slice and sequence, iMPC Pro is perfect. And has a simple workflow.

But if you want to do advanced stuff like sample a note, create an instrument, record chords & notes... it fails.

• @kobamoto said:
    does bm3 offer time signature and tempo automation now?

• @alecsbuga said:

@ToMess said:

@alecsbuga said:

True. Each with his own needs. If you just slice and sequence, iMPC Pro is perfect. And has a simple workflow.

But if you want to do advanced stuff like sample a note, create an instrument, record chords & notes... it fails.

On the other hand, how does this compare to the iMaschine 2 app?

• @mannix said:

@alecsbuga said:

@ToMess said:

@alecsbuga said:

iMPC Pro feels much more detailed than iMaschine 2 that's for sure. Although I like iMaschine 2 better. Feels more polished and has a nicer UI.

• edited February 2017

@mannix said:

imaschine doesent have midi in and lacks all sorts of small stuff like that. Its sampler is a joke, for example you cant switch between mono and stereo, so if you feed mono signal to it, you only get sound from left monitor and there is nothing you can do about it.

Its pretty damn limited, but has nice sound packs for reasonable price, nice and polished ui and the things that work as they should work very well. I like using it, but just for some drums and maybe 1 or 2 simple instruments and do rest elsewhere because the app is just too limited for much more. Also it only has 4 tracks, which also seems like a cruel joke to me. Knowing NI, they most likely want to keep it crippled so that people would buy their hardware instead.

• @ToMess said:

@mannix said:

imaschine doesent have midi in and lacks all sorts of small stuff like that. Its sampler is a joke, for example you cant switch between mono and stereo, so if you feed mono signal to it, you only get sound from left monitor and there is nothing you can do about it.

Its pretty damn limited, but has nice sound packs for reasonable price, nice and polished ui and the things that work as they should work very well. I like using it, but just for some drums and maybe 1 or 2 simple instruments and do rest elsewhere because the app is just too limited for much more. Also it only has 4 tracks, which also seems like a cruel joke to me. Knowing NI, they most likely want to keep it crippled so that people would buy their hardware instead.

Thanks for the info. Yes I agree that they seems to keep things cripples because they want you to buty their hardware. Any experience with the hardware Maschine? Their first version sells quite cheap second hand as well as the mikro version.

• edited February 2017

@mannix said:

Thanks for the info. Yes I agree that they seems to keep things cripples because they want you to buty their hardware. Any experience with the hardware Maschine? Their first version sells quite cheap second hand as well as the mikro version.

Actually i do have a bit of experience with maschine mk1. My best friend has had one for quite many years and he does most of the stuff on it(and i have done some stuff with him and his maschine). I think for the price that they go, its a really nice controller, actually a real steal, but i would advice on getting some keyboard with it. It has midi ports, so you can hook anything with midi ports straight into it(so get at least some cheapo oldie midi keys or synth with midi out for it, you can find some for like 20-30€ used if you dont care to put a lot of money on it). I have some vague memory that you cant use regular usb midi keyboards with the program(and that the keyboard needs to be hooked directly to maschine hardware via midi port), or maybe it was just quite a hassle to do it, im not 100% sure, so check it out elsewhere.

Also one really neat thing about NI controllers is their controller editor program. Basically there are two modes to the controllers, regular maschine mode and midi mode. With the controller editor program you can basically assign any midi note, cc, program change, poly pressure, channel pressure or mcu. I have traktor kontrol f1 controller that uses the same editor program and i can route it to my ipad(needs to be routed through computer tho, i use midipipe for routing it straight out of audio interfaces midi ports without having to do it via any daw).

Just keep in mind that the maschine program isnt a full blown daw like ableton etc, but a groove box program more similar to having an mpc on your computer. But you can use it as a vst/au inside daws. Also since you can get it to midi mode in a sec, you can assign the midi mode stuff to your daw(like ableton, or just route to ipad) and have the maschine program on the background and switch between regular maschine mode to control that, and midi mode to control your daw/ipad.

I dont know everything about the thing, but if you have some questions, i might be able to answer some.

Ps. i would take maschine mk1 over maschine micro any day.