Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The IMPC pro

Comments

• @Tommygun said:
    Beathawk is great, imho a lot better than iMPC "Pro" and has potential for so much more. If UVI is going to implement a grid editor/timeline this will be my No. 1 beat- and maybe even song-making app.
    Sorry for the praise here but compared to Beathawk the iMPC is really nothing to write home about.

right , one is for sampling and one is for sample libraries..... the two apps aren't even comparible, it's like comparing a guitar to a bass guitar cause they both have strings

• @Samu said:
    BeatHawk with Grid/Piano-roll would be super nice to make it easy to correct notes that for some reason got recorded in the wrong place :) (And well, add those hard for me to record manually 1/32nd notes).

I have hard time to make tight recordings using iMPC Pro while i nail it almost all the time with BeatHawk....
    (BeatHawk with Sample-Editing capabilities from iMPC Pro would be awesome).

exactly... and by the time that day comes we won't even be using iPads anymore. It's going to probably take some other developer to create. As far as our currently reality.

impc forte is for sample editing and sequencing, fx/mixer automation

beatmaker -forte is sequencing other iOS apps, and building real instruments with it's sampler, linear sequencing

beathawk-forte is sample libraries, and ease of use.

although I would say that not being able to do the majority of things that the others can do is not the same as being easy, cause whether easy or difficult the features don't exist. but allot of people mention that aspect so I mentioned it.

• An option to toggle between sequence and song mode would be great. I use either a long sequence or loop Auria and go seq by seq. I record in iMPC, tweak sounds and export the song (general pasteboard). That fits my workflow when I add beats to a track.

@monzo What do you mean it starts the song as well? Right now it plays sequences only by default. If you want the song to start you need to press 'play song', but switches back if you go to timeline or the pads?

• edited April 2015

@Peanutcram said:

monzo What do you mean it starts the song as well? Right now it plays sequences only by default. If you want the song to start you need to press 'play song', but switches back if you go to timeline or the pads?

It plays the song/sequence when you hit record in Auria. This is a pain if you just want to record some live pad stuff, as you have to stop the sequence before you can start playing the pads. It does this in GarageBand as well. You could get around it by creating a blank song, so you can let this run without having to stop it first, but it'd be better if the app gave you the option to control this.

Unlikely to happen since they haven't managed a bug fix since September last year, and seem more interested in adding flashy new features. A very neglected app.

• I don't have auria yet, waiting to see how interesting the time stretch and slicing is going to be but thats a good tip to remember @blank sequence.
    Monzo are all the beat machines like this in auria or just the impc?

• edited April 2015

@kobamoto said:
    I don't have auria yet, waiting to see how interesting the time stretch and slicing is going to be but thats a good tip to remember blank sequence.
    Monzo are all the beat machines like this in auria or just the impc?

I've only got iMPC Pro loaded on the new iPad at the moment as I'm still learning how to use Auria, but I'll eventually load up a few more - probably Maschine next. I'm hoping to get a bit more into iMPC Pro now I can use IAA.

Let me know if you want me to test anything specific and if I've got the apps I'll give them a spin.

• it would just be good to know if there is a beat machine that doesn't start with aurias record button if you don't want it to, to try out in the future if I get auria

• Imprc pro still has some massive bugs, audio interface handling and some crazy midi behaviour I've noticed when pluging into a audio interface...and the random crashes. All in all it is getting better with less problems than the first release but the updates are few and far between although Retronyns have said they've been working on it. Hopefully the upcoming update is a good one. My no.1 hope is they create an export for the MPC desktop software

• well the holy grail audio interface fix that they said they are working on hasn't even come out yet, so it doesn't even work with audio cards...that's what is suppose to be next, you would think it would be a priority but oh well.

• @Jose_Bee said:
    . My no.1 hope is they create an export for the MPC desktop software

Same here. That was a killer feature in the original iMPC for owners of the Akai MPC Studio or Renaissance. The original excuse from Retronyms was that the capability wasn't ready in time for the release of iMPC Pro and they didn't want to delay the release. It has been nearly a year since the release and still no MPC export. Retronyms' modus operandi is that their software does not play well with others. They seem to have forgotten that their partner Akai also has a stake in this and many buyers and potential buyers are attracted by the Akai brand name. Someone within the Akai organization needs to grow a pair and demand some action.

• edited May 2015

We had a big moan about Retronyms and iMPC Pro on here last year. They've since done nothing to change my low opinion of their level of support. No change/SNAFU.

• @monzo Regarding Auria with iMPC, have you tried entering Auria's settings, going to the MIDI tab and setting "Send Midi Start and Stop" to No?

• @senhorlampada said:
    monzo Regarding Auria with iMPC, have you tried entering Auria's settings, going to the MIDI tab and setting "Send Midi Start and Stop" to No?

No I didn't know about that (I'm still an Auria beginner), but I'll check it out - thanks!

• It's so frustrating that iMPC Pro still doesn't have any indication of semitone changes when you tune samples. For me, this (along with lame sample importing) disqualifies it as even a good sample editor. This lack is more glaring because there's also no keyboard mode, like what we see in Beathawk, iMaschine, Nanostudio, BM2, etc.

While I'll begrudgingly accept that timestretching, zero-crossings, snap-to-BPM loop markings, and transient detection are luxury bonuses (that happen to all be missing from iMPC Pro), the lack of clarity on tuning and the import hassle are foundational.

I don't have any MPC software, but I agree that the lack of MPC software-compatible project export is ridiculous, especially when you consider that a couple of the Korg apps have basic Ableton project exports. I do have Maschine, and I know this export feature in iMaschine nearly doubles its usefulness.

Anyway, sorry if I'm fanning the flames for another Retronyms/iMPC screed.

• no apologies needed, credit where credit is due.... on another note I don't know how you can
    refrain from destroying your iPad after using imaschine

• Gotta say the girl has a super steady camera hand.

• Everytime I watch a Retronyms video I think they're laughing about us.

• @Tommygun said:
    Everytime I watch a Retronyms video I think they're laughing about us.

I have to agree. Without sounding like a boring old fart they don't really seem to be taking things seriously.

• We'll have to wait and see how 'good' the next update of iMPC Pro will be, sometimes I do feel that they (Retronyms) spend more time making videos than they actually spend on programming the apps :D

• I don't think they're being dishonest or lacking seriousness at all. They've always been consistent with they're approach to audiobus (whether one likes it or not). They've maintained the same advertising approach, casual etc. they're involving their young somewhat geeky guns to promote the stuff they're excited about.

Come on guys you're taking it too personally.

• partially true, but there have been some comments that didn't ring true as in the audio interface bugs, the audio export bugs, and the compatibility with the other mpcs a feature in the original non-pro version...
    I think the fact that people still show interest in them is a good enough look. The app does have merit!

• edited May 2015

I agree with Samu, we'll have to take a wait and see approach. I don't mind seeing them have fun, life is supposed to be fun, music making products should be fun to use and as kobamoto stated earlier iMPC is fun to use. Retronyms just needs to take care of business and "get'er done". At least we know they haven't abandoned it. I understand the need for maintaining revenue streams via In-App sample pack purchases and I'm ok with that. I would support that. What I will not support is an unfinished or crippled product.

• Hitting a double does not a home run get you, as my Yoda-ish imaginary grandma always said.

• edited May 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Hitting a double does not a home run get you, as my Yoda-ish imaginary grandma always said.

Close only counts in horseshoes and H-bombs, is another good one. Another is "the merely good is the enemy of the great".

The not-so-weird thing is iMPC pro (and iMini and iProphet) are homeruns inside Tabletop, especially in ensemble.

• edited May 2015

I was playing with it a bit last night, and noticed pad detection was very hit and miss when using 16 scales and note repeat together. Sometimes the samples didn't play, or were truncated, and then it lost the 16 note thing altogether. This is something I do all the time with my hardware Maschine, but iMPC Pro couldn't seem to cope with it.

Still, as long as the developers are having fun. Hopefully they can channel some of this joy into their product so customers can have fun too.

• @monzo said:
    I was playing with it a bit last night, and noticed pad detection was very hit and miss when using 16 scales and note repeat together. Sometimes the samples didn't play, or were truncated, and then it lost the 16 note thing altogether. This is something I do all the time with my hardware Maschine, but iMPC Pro couldn't seem to cope with it.

Still, as long as the developers are having fun. Hopefully they can channel some of this joy into their product so customers can have fun too.

I tried this inside Tabletop, with and without running iProphet, Phase84, iMini alongside, with no issue. Haven't tried it in standalone or in an IAA set up. I don't really use it outside Tabletop. Also I'll note that before Air 2 I'd not had much fun with Tabletop...

• I think it was in standalone, might have been via IAA, can't remember now. I'll test again later if I have the stomach for an evening of disappointment and frustration.

• @supadom said:
    I don't think they're being dishonest or lacking seriousness at all. They've always been consistent with they're approach to audiobus (whether one likes it or not). They've maintained the same advertising approach, casual etc. they're involving their young somewhat geeky guns to promote the stuff they're excited about.

Come on guys you're taking it too personally.

This, some of the complaints here are melodramatic.