Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video: Using SunVox as an effect and sequencer in Audiobus

edited April 2013 in App Tips and Tricks

Hi! Just made a video showing SunVox used as an effect and sequencer for Sunrizer in Audiobus.

It showcases the reverb and sidechain compressor of SunVox

Comments

• Great video thanks! I recommended anyone watch this. I helps along with the basics of Sunvox; Routing of Modules, Adjusting screen sections, editing notes/modules, selecting modules, editing module settings. Once you get the idea of Sunvox its easier to work with. Anyone know if there is already a place with Sunvox Presets? FX Presets?

For anyone looking for tutorials, YouTube has a ton, below is a link to a YouTube search of Sunvox Tutorials

SunVox Tutorials YouTube Search

• Great video, very very helpful

• JMSexton,
    there is no classic concept of presets in SunVox. But there is a lot of customized modules (synths and effects). Go to the New Module window, then click the Load button, and you will see the list of these modules in the Instruments folder.

• Yea I suppose its just as easy to do that, pick what I want, the just edit the module settings. Is everything saved as a song or can you save a default setup? Then I guess there would have to be an easy way to export those without the dreaded iTunes File Sharing. I used the term preset a bit loosely I think, sorry bout that.

• Yeah, you're supposed to be able to save a configuration of modules as a song and then load it into a metamodule to use in another setup, but I was trying to do this last night and couldn't play the result. Probably just me missing something. I tried following a tutorial video, but the visual quality was just too low for me to see everything clearly. No voice-over narrative either, so that didn't help.

• edited April 2013

Ok, sussed it.

Here's a screenshot of the instrument I wish to turn into a metamodule.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151629546698304&l=15b609dd20

Make a mental note of which module is the input module (the one you can play), in this case it's the multisynth.

Save this as a song, using the spanner (wrench) dropdown menu at the extreme top right corner of the screen.

Now create a new song using the same menu.

Delete the new generator and echo modules by individually selecting them and using the spanner dropdown menu at the top right corner of the modules window.

Use the same menu to load a module, but select the song you just saved (.sunvox) instead of a module (.sunsynth).

Select the new metamodule in the modules window and touch the Link button next to the spanner menu you just used. The modules window gets a green highlight. Touch the output module to link the metamodule to the output.

Here's a screenshot to help with the next steps.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151629541753304&l=b4749401e3

Reselect the metamodule.

Touch the Controllers button at the bottom right of the window to the left of the modules window.
    Your screen should now resemble the screenshot.

In the controllers popup you can see the multisynth module listed. Remember from earlier that this is the input module. It has a number next to it, 05.

Go back to the window at the left. The second item in that window is labelled Input module.
    Drag from left to right on that item until the number under the label matches the number of the input module, in this case 5.

Close the controllers popup and save the metamodule using the spanner dropdown menu at the top right of the modules window. You now have a working metamodule that can be loaded likenany other module and used as part of other instrument configurations.

• Does anyone have youtube clips of songs generated by this app which blows them away? Must say I'm seriously underwhelmed by the examples, and would really like to know what advantages this has as a DAW compared to Nanostudio or Beatmaker 2.

• edited April 2013

What blows me away might not blow you away. This is not a DAW, although it does contain extensive sequencing and automation capabilities. It does, however, present an opportunity to craft custom synths and effects, more like Audulus, As for NanoStudio and BeatMaker 2, try using them in the effects slot. If that's not something you need, then you're probably better giving it a miss, as I said in another thread, there's quite a learning curve involved with SunVox.

• @AQ808 - I agree with @PaulB that that's subjective but I think these are good or interesting:

• edited April 2013

True about the subjective qualities, but I guess I would at least like a link from someone like you, so I can at least get an impression of what would be appealing about it through someone else's POV. I have no interest in publicly criticizing the person's taste.

I really like the avenue you've giving me into seeing this more as a modular synth with a sequencer attached. Audulus and Sunvox have always slightly interested me from their apparent depth, but at some point I decided that I have to be very impressed by real world examples by users before I'll buy most apps. I also apparently have an aversion to digging for gold. :) Why can't it always be conveniently laying around on the surface?

Edit: I wrote this to Paul while funjunkie posted his links, and thanks for posting them!

• I did post some examples in another thread. Were they the ones you were underwhelmed by?

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/10014#Comment_10014

• I hadn't read through that thread, thanks for linking!

I guess my issue Is that I feel like I already have access to these types of sounds, so I'm trying to find out what differentiates this. I think that is what I mean by not being blown away, now that I think about it. I've had this app on the periphery for awhile. I guess I should just mess around with it on my Linux box and confirm or dispel my personal impression.

However, if someone has an explanation of how this is usefully different from other ios apps, I'd definitely like to hear about it. What are the key features differentiating it for you, and making it useful?

• Effects slot.
    Modular toolkit.
    Really active shit hot developer.

• And as one of the YT links shows, the ability to convert .jpg files to audio. Not sure how useful that would be, but I'm not aware of any other app that supports that.

• You can use images from the camera or photo roll in Wave Generator to create wave tables which can significantly change the tone of the presets.

• @JMSexton said:

Anyone know if there is already a place with Sunvox Presets? FX Presets?

Check their forums... Some users posted metamodules and .sunsynth files (you open them using Load Modules...

http://www.warmplace.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

• The sequencer is very much the same as a tracker. I always found it a pain to program. It's good for making pads though. I have it on my Nexus 7, but mainly because of the lack of other options......