Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Guitar Interfaces

Comments

• I just purchased an IRig Pro from Amazon for £69. I did not know they existed, and kinda found it by accident. The sound quality is stunning, and there is no background noise at all, as it uses the digital input on the Ipad Air. You can also fit a studio mike, and midi in via a small connector. It uses a PP3 type battery, and it does not seem to drain the Ipad battery unduly.
    Hope this is of some help to anyone!

• edited July 2014

Zoom R8 (not R16 or R24) with powered USB hub and CCK works beautifully as a 2x2 interface with iPad. Channel 1 can be switched to hi-z for guitar and bass. It also has phantom power. I can record on iPad at 96/24. Sweet stuff all without mentioning it as a standalone multitrack recorder with effects and rhythm. Highly underrated. Very useful.

• Yeah, the Steinberg ur22 does look a better deal than the 2i2 primarily because of the inclusion of MIDI ports. 192khz in a sub $800 package is likely just marketing fluff.

• @kdub do you know if the R8's HUI mode works with Auria?

• @syrupcore I haven't used Auria. I use mostly Multitrack DAW and sometimes Cubasis.

• edited December 2014

@dwarman said:

Or, since you already have the 202, the Behringer 802 (non-USB) mixer at $65, to get the preamps.

Are you sure we need to buy a preamp?
    I was looking at Doug's video from Thesoundtestroom and he went directly into the UCA222 with no preamps using his bass and electric guitar. Of our he used the 1/4 to rca cables but it looked like it worked great.

• edited December 2014

I have a Zoom G3. So if it only has a mono input, I wonder why it would show as stereo USB interface on iPad.
    Also, it has the ability to be powered by batteries is there anyway to have not draw USB current in order to not have to use a powered usb hub?

@JohnInBoston said:

There's another alternative worth considering, which is where I eventually ended up. The Zoom B3 (bass) and G3 (guitar) are digital multi-effects pedals which do quite well as stand-alone all-in-one pedals. And they both have a class-compliant USB 2.0 interface, so you can connect to the iPad through the CCK and the pedal will show up as a stereo USB input. Works great in JamUp Pro, AmpliTube, MultitrackDAW, Auria, etc. Footprint is about the same size as an Alesis ioDock -- same top-down area as an iPad, 1.5-2" thick -- cost is a bit more ($200 vs. $170 for Alesis). But not a bad package if it can replace some other pedals for you and it plays well with the iPad.

I started with an iRig and did not like it at all -- very noisy. I use the Zoom B3 for my bass all the time and recently have been noodling with it through Audiobus, which is great.

• I may be a purist, but guitar levels are not exactly RCA line levels, they are "Instrument". Which is why Focusrites et all have a switch between line and instrument on their pre-amp inputs. The 1/4" jacks on the mixer channels that have XLRs are basically Instrument style, with level pad control.

• edited December 2014

Need help.
    Hooked up my Zoom G3 via USB hub thru CCK to iPad. Didn't get any error messages but I launched Cubasis what am I supposed to see in the audio track routing options? I only saw input 1 mono. But it didn't say Usb or anything plus meters didn't register anything. Any ideas?

• edited December 2014

Was able to get my Zoom G3 recognized in audiobus and without applying power to my USB hub. I erroneously had selected USB in the backpanel of the G3, when I changed to regular, it worked. I did have to use the power adapter of the Zoom G3. Will try tomorrow running it on batteries only.

• I have the Zoom G5 will have to investigate further, Thanks for the information

• Cool, and I'm using this really cheap no name brand USB 1.1 hub I had stacked in my drawer. I first even tried to find a power adapter for it but found none so I butchered another one and made one to fit. Just to find in the end that I didn't need it after all. So cool, will yry some more testing tomorrow. Gotta go get me some batteries to see if it'll work. That would really be so cool as the Zoom G3 is pretty compact .

• Well for anyone out there wondering if the Zoom G3 guitar effects processor works with iPad as an audio interface? The answer is: It does work!
    I finally had the chance to hook I up last night and it was so nice to be able to send my guitar signal nicely into flying haggis!
    Only thing was that I could not get flying haggis to work in the AB input slot. But it worked perfectly on its own.
    What an amazing time we live in right now! To be able to enjoy all this tech advances which were only a dream not so long ago.

• iRig Stomp is surprisingly decent, I just got one and have been using it with Bias / Jamup (both of which are very good, IMO) and it's doing a decent job.

Out of interest, I plugged in and set up an Audiobus instance without any FX or anything and the sound was nicely noise free - I should say it was after I'd changed the crappy PP3 battery that came with the Stomp, which was half-dead !. Also, I made sure everything in the signal chain was clean (I used Servisol contact cleaner), The ipad headphone jack was pretty crackly before being cleaned.

I think I may go for the iRig HD next to compare, is the Pro somewhat overkill for just guitar stuff, I wonder ?

• edited January 2015

wrong thread

• @Igneous1 said:

I think I may go for the iRig HD next to compare, is the Pro somewhat overkill for just guitar stuff, I wonder ?

I've got the iRig HD and it works fine. The Pro is twice the price on Amazon right now, but you get a lot more connectivity options via XLR and 5-pin midi. If neither of those are important, definitely save a few bucks and go with the HD. Hope this helps!

• Good advice thanks,

Yes, the HD is definitely better. As I said, the Stomp is pretty decent and works fine, but the HD is a different beast. Apart from a noticable sound quality difference, the cabling with the Stomp is pretty messy.

• OK. Tempted to post this out there on the main board, but going to at least start out following protocol:

I have a friend (really) here in Austin who is a honkytonk telecaster player of long standing and I want to get some of his particular noise and skills into Auria.

The tl;dr here is: I can see a bunch of interfaces on Amazon. I'm happy to pay upto the 150 ish of the more pricey ones, but would be happy to pay less too. I just want to record his telecaster (and perhaps his bass also). Is there really a worthwhile difference for a stumbler like me?

• If you want aesthetics I'd say go with the EIE, like myself and several other of our "colleagues" did. She's a real beaut and gets the job done.
    If you simply want to record on the low while charging your ipad Id go with the Griffin StudioConnect from Sweetwater.

• @TGiG OK. Thanks Captain. I was looking at Amazon and guessing it was an Apogee, an iRig, Behringer UCA202 or the Peavey, but if you reckon the Akai is worth swinging for then fair enough. I just need to get from his tele and into the iPad so I can make his noise mine :)

• If its just one input you're after I'd recommend the Apogee Jam. But You'll never be able to have more than one as iOS only supports one interface at a time. The Jam is 24-bit. Unlike the EIE.

• I have the Apogee Jam, the 48k version, and really like it, simple and excellent audio quality. However, if for $50 more you can get the 16 bit EIE you have a box ready for whatever you want to throw at the iPad, guitar, mic, etc. Another advantage to the Jam is no power supply needed.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The tl;dr here is: I can see a bunch of interfaces on Amazon. I'm happy to pay upto the 150 ish of the more pricey ones, but would be happy to pay less too. I just want to record his telecaster (and perhaps his bass also). Is there really a worthwhile difference for a stumbler like me?

You have two options: just get a cheap digital interface like an iRig HD, Apogee Jam, Line 6 Sonic port etc that will allow you to record an instrument into the iPad. These should set you back for less than $100 and there really isn't much to choose between them.

Or get a more flexible interface for a bit more money: something like a Scarlett 2i4 that will allow you for some room to grow, in case you ever want to start recording vocals with a condenser mic or two.

I started with a simple guitar interface (Line 6 in my case), but a few months later found that I needed a more versatile one, and ended up buying a Scarlett as well. I still use both, since the guitar interface is more convenient, but sice you are not really a guitar player I actually think you would be better served with an interface that can also drive microphones. I did a lot of research into this and eventually settled on the 2i4 because it has the best monitoring.

• Thank you all.

It is tempting to buy the bigger/better option, but I have been using the Apogee mike which I really like straight into the iPad so it's also tempting to just get an Apogee Jam (brand loyalty! Nah.....) as I imagine that all I really need/want to do is have my friend plug in, record, and then I will get to play with the raw material of his recording....food for thought and thanks again. I appreciate your input.

• If you've already got the Apogee Mic then yes I think it makes sense to just get a cheap digital guitar interface, since you already have a reasonable condenser mic for other stuff.

• @Musikman4Christ said:
    @dwarman said:
    Are you sure we need to buy a preamp? I was looking at Doug's video from Thesoundtestroom and he went directly into the UCA222 with no preamps using his bass and electric guitar. Of our he used the 1/4 to rca cables but it looked like it worked great.

yesterday i tried this and it worked (cck/ipad air/jamup)

• edited March 2015

Nevermind thought it was the audio interface. For guitar it works great.

• Just wanted to say the alesis dock 2 works perfect so far. The monitor switch of course is dope with no latency, and the MIDI works as intended on all apps. So heres a electronic madman giving thumbs up to it. The only reason I didn't go focus rite was the MIDI ports. Was that the trip is it was usb midi or something with the focus rite witch I am sure is sick too.