Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Guitar Interfaces

Comments

• @SpookyZoo Yeah same thing on iPad3... I wrote the same thing you wrote but on a different thread around here somewhere, only not worded as well and with less capitals. I asked for someone who had ampkit link to try this to find out if it was just iRig or all interfaces... I didn't get a response. But yeah, iRig + iPad3 is a no go for me.. works fine on iPhone 4S. Thanks man.

also I don't know much about audio interfaces.. but I hear Apogee come up a lot. :-)

• edited February 2013

Auria has a basic, official supported list of iPad hardware options... I figure if it works in Auria it will be fine with any other Audiobus app.

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

I went with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, very impressive features and sound quality.

• @Ryan ha ha...yeah I gotta get out of THAT capitals habit. :) Interesting to hear its on the 3 too. My thinking was, as soon as Apple were aware of a problem, it would be fixed in the next generation. Apparently not.

@Hmtx Thanks for that info. I will have a google on those products. Ta

• @SpookyZoo Capitals work to get peoples attention. I say capital the heck out of everything. lol :-) I thought it was iRigs fault.. seems to me that the iPhone ear buds work much better. hmmm.

• edited February 2013

some updates on IU2 from tascam - I know tascam dropped support, but can still buy these "strange thingies" for like £85 - sorry pre lightning only!

so I tested IU2 yesterday with iphone 4s latest ios, all apps up to date and AUDIOBUS.
    Buoy this thing rocks! All works flawlessly with the lowest latency.
    I didn't have any glitches running loopy and magellan jr. as input and effects - the only thing is @ Michael and Sebastian - that I can only use 1 input into loopy at a time :(
    unless I am missing something here?
    EDiT!:
    Yes I am - lol - just press + for more
    Tested last nite with 3 inputs running: guitar on R input/ vox on L input (iu2), and Magellan jr. And funkbox as ios internal ones. Bare in mind iu2 L&R count as 1 input.

Runs smoothly if u get rid of the audiobus UI by swiping it away to the right to hide. For some odd reason when UI is present the live/input has audio drop outs from time to time, not often but noticeable.
    Also the iPhone4s battery drained running all those apps and iu2 within 1.5 hrs from 95 to 15 %, ouch!
    Noticed audio drop outs when the battery went below 20% regardless of audiobus UI presence...
    Did not tried it with charging, maybe that could avoid it? Will post some more tests and a vid some time soon.

@Michael/Sebastian - I felt like I'm 10 again, it's Xmas and Santa is real lol. Some of my dreams came true :D to think what I can do with a phone and audiobus is mindblowing!!! Thank you guys!

• In general I believe any interface using the headphone jack is a poor choice. it's really hot or miss about the cross talk. Even IK Multimedia is now coming out with a dock connected iRig HD model. It will include both 30 pin and lightning cables.

For me, I tossed my iRig aside and went for the Line 6 Mobile In. Also has stereo in on the interface. Love the clarity, night and day compared to the iRig. Only complaint is that it drains the battery pretty quick. Not too bad on my iPad 2 but my iPhone 5 battery drains like crazy.

• He guys, just caught on to this thread and wanted to throw this out. Last night I plugged in my Tascam ixz interface, which does guitar and XLR Mic inputs. I haven't plugged a mic in yet, so I can't attest to that, but I ran my guitar through Magellan Jr as an effect, and recorded on Loopy. No bleeding at all. It sounded really smooth too. Magellan is good for very clean sounds with some cool effects that you can put on. I used to have an IRIG too, and got rid of it. This Tascam has not dissapointed me yet...

• Anyone used the iRig stompbox?

• For quality definitely the Jam in this price range. It comes with both a 30 direct connection cable and a USB CCK connection. It works directly with the CCK, through a hub to the CCK, and through the 30 pin to Lightning connector to an iPhone 5, all without problems. iPhone 5 does not support either the Lightning or 30 pin with adapter CCK.

Only issue: without an iConnectMIDI4+*, using the Jam takes up the only Audio compliant interface in iOS which means you can only monitor from the headphone jack.

• because it uniquely has an A host USB port and audio routing technology.
  • The Sonoma Wire Works Guitar Jack 2 works fine with Ampkit and Audiobus. It has a 1/4" in, an 1/8" stereo in, and a 1/8" stereo out. No hub needed. I do use a 1 ft 30 pin extender cable to keep the Jack from falling off the pad. Found it on-line back around Thanksgiving for about USD100. Sonoma promises a firmware update to 24bit Real Soon Now. The 1/8" stereo in supports mono so I use an XLR to 1/8" adapter for a mic.
    As long as I keep the screen brightness turned down battery life has not been an issue. The Sonoma disables the iPad headphone jack so you must use it's stereo out. I play it live through a stereo Mesa Boogie -great fun.

Sonoma says it can't be used with a Blutooth speaker. Never tried it.

• I asked a rep at Positive Grid, the makers of JamUp, if they were working on a JamUp Plug HD and he said yes. He hasn't said how soon but I'm excited to hear how well it sounds. The iRig HD will be out this April but I think I'll wait for the JamUp Plug HD. Both connect to the dock port on iOS devises and USB on pc/Mac. For now I use my MBox Mini 3 connected to my iPad 4 via the Apple CCK and powered USB hub and it works Great!

• Hey,
    Has anyone used the iRiffPort chord with Audiobus? I can't get it recognize the software PocketAmp. Is there another software that works with iRiffPort and Audiobus? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Just to throw another alternaitive out there, as long as you don't need a portable setup.... I have an Alesis multimix 8 USB mixer. I connect to iPad with the camera connection kit via USB. With this setup I can monitor from the mixer, it works both ways (so i can record, then play back and the audio comes through the mixer) and I have 8 mono audio inputs, 2 XLR's and mic with phantom power. I got this mixer a few years ago now for £100 new and it came with cubase LE...good deal. The only thing is, as others have siad, it uses the camera kit, so you can't plug in a key board at the same time. Not a problem when recording guitar vocals etc.

• Got myself the Apogee Jam. Been using it for about 4 weeks now. It's great. Clean, no noise, I have detected no latency. Very happy with it. :)

• I would definitely recommend the Apogee JAM for any professional quality recording....pristine clarity

• edited March 2013

@klaatu, the great thing about most class compliant USB audio interfaces is that they can be plugged into the iPad through a USB hub. (Not sure about your Alesis) That way you can also add a MIDI to USB cable, and a few USB MIDI keyboards. You'll just probably need a powered USB hub if you start adding devices that draw power from their USB connection.

Anyway, the benefits in quality going thru the dock connector or CCK far outweigh any downsides for me. The apogee jam definitely seems like the most straightforward guitar interface, but for a little more I got the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, powered USB hub, and CCK. It is nice to have another input for a mic or second instrument, and also has very nice gain adjustments, indicators, and phantom 48v option.

• I also use the Tascam IXZ, but just for input. Output is through dock connector. Just don' t forget to plug in the IXZ first, then the output (the iPad always prefers the last connected device). Of course, in this case there' s no audio Interface connected to the Dock, thus no new input to regard, and the iPad keeps taking input from the IXZ. No bleed problems thus... .
    Greetings, animal

• Hi, i have an Apogee Jam and it works awesome.

• First post :-) Just to back up @ToniFranco's comment from February (!): I picked up a TASCAM iU2 last November, and am now using it with an iPhone 4S.

Quite simply: if you're using an iPhone or iPod Touch (or indeed an iPad, but DEFINITELY an iP/iPT) with a 30-pin dock connector, if you're after a digital I/O recording interface, and if you can find an iU2 for £85 or equivalent, jump on it like a starving squirrel on the last peanut on earth ((C) Scott Adams). The iU2 will give you not only a digital guitar input, but 2 x phantom-powered (TRS) mike/line inputs, headphone out, stereo RCA phono outs, optical digital out AND MIDI in/out.... all on your iPhone.

You can use it with Mac/PC, and its dock connector cable means you don't need the Apple CCK (which the iPhone/iPod Touch don't support). The iU2 has its quirks (you need to connect cables and power in a certain order to avoid problems), and I've had the occasional audio freak-out, but as far as I know, there is simply no other interface which combines everything into one box, AND works with the iPhone.

I stand to be corrected... it makes a great guitar interface, BTW :-)

• edited April 2013

@ToniFranco @gamuso - in case you're reading this all this time later (!): did you discover the iU2's "pass-through" USB charging yet?

Basically, if the iU2 is connected to a USB power source, it will then pass that power through to the iDevice connected to the iU2 - thus charging the iThing during iU2 sessions. You need to connect the iU2 to the iDevice dock-connector BEFORE turning on the USB power to the iU2, or else the iDevice gets confused about what's actually connected to it (not the iU2's fault, apparently).

Also, if you want to phantom-power condenser mikes via the iU2 (which I do, regularly), you need to turn on the USB power, or else it won't work (AFAIK - it would certainly wipe out your iDevice battery pretty quickly). Obviously, turn on phantom power last of all, after the two steps above.

• edited April 2013

• Finding much pleasure (albeit sans-MIDI) with my Digitec RP350.
    The unit has a direct USB out connection.
    I just need to connect the aforementioned floor unit via USB to the CCK and I'm ready to go.
    As I said, this setup is lacking MIDI, but is definitely enough to rock.
    :-)
    :-)

Peace & grooves & Rocknroll

Paul

• @Davaruna Hey it's Daniel from Sonoma Wire Works, makers of GuitarJack. GuitarTone 2 is our first app to support Audiobus and we are interesting in launching more. Thanks for your interest! Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

• @Uncle_GroOve hey I have a rp 350 and can't get it to work with that hook up. I get a slight input but mostly noise and no effects from the rp. I was under the impression the USB on the rp 350 was just for data or sharing presets? Can you elaborate further on your setup with it. Thanks

• @Bootsy Here's a video of the rp255 and ipad. Same concept so it should work for rp350.

• Thanks @mgmg4871. I wonder if mine needs updating or something cuz it don't work. I'm going into a ipad4 with the lightning to 30 pin and then the cck could this have something to do with it? Doesn't really matter I think jamup pro has better sounds anyways I just thought I'd try it.. Thanks again.

• @Bootsy: I too thought that I would need to do "something" in order to hook up. But the reality is that I just plug the usb cable into to the Digitech and then straight into the Apple USB-lightning connector. And it just works without having to do anything at all.
    Mine is a 3 y.o. Digitec RP350, basic unit with no midi, etc.

Paul

• I think mines older than that. It says ver 1.3 when I fire it up.

• For my iPad 4 / Auria combo, I currently use the Roland duo ex and / or my Apogee jam and both work amazingly well. I will mention that for the extra fifty bucks of the Roland you get balanced I/O, midi, line out to powered monitors, battery power for portability and mic phantom power.

I was waiting to try the IK vapour wear known as the "HD irig" but it keeps getting delayed and delayed so I have given up. After trying to get info on release dates and delays its now not coming until June or July mid summer ( delayed from early spring release). Evey music store i tried had no info on the product as IK was not saying anything. i contacted that Peter guy at IK Multimedia and he was is a total incompetent arse and would not give any official date whatsoever. I have to add that I found IK Multimedia very unprofessional indeed.

As far as guitar apps/ tones go, Overloud THM and Jamup pro are the best guitar emulators that I have found for the ipad by far , amplitube is just ok and is even a little harsh sounding, GarageBand is a total waste of time period. I would like to use line 6 but I'm not buying there flimsy input hardware and they should just release a paid app with there guitar tones ( and make them recordable this time).

Drumagog in Auria works very well on the ipad so if you wanna input a real kit live or VS drums or even an ipad drum app and add different kick/ snare triggered sounds it works great. Load custom samples to. I loaded some of my fav Steve slate SSD4 platinum kick n snares to use on the bus at night.

• Hey I plan to get Apogee Jam.I am going to connect it through a iPod touch 5g Os 6.Has anyone tried using the 3rd party lightning to 30 pin connectors ? The genuine connector is damn expensive in my country.I would prefer to buy some effects instead.
    The apogee jam has an a/d converter so will that help ?The 3rd party lightning connectors can only charge and sync but don't support audio and video.
    Please let me know.Thanks.