Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Diode-108 Drum machine out with Audiobus!

Comments

• @Diode108 said:
    Hey syrupcore, you need it to follow MIDI sync, generate MIDI sync, or be able to do both?

Thanks for asking. Both, preferably. Like a hardware drum machine. Follow first, if I had to choose.

• @Diode108 want it even more now after watching Mr. Doug's video—as it often the case with The Sound Test Room. Love lots of things about it like the song mode and the mixer page. Rearranging the sounds on the grid? Brilliant. Plus, it looks like you've snuck in a 16 track 16-step sequencer in there with the melodic mode (of course now I want MIDI note output too, greedy bastard). And oh, damn, that swing is what I'm talking about. Delicious.

It's just that way I use drum machines, no sync means it wont work for me.

• @syrupcore said:
    Diode108 want it even more now after watching Mr. Doug's video—as it often the case with The Sound Test Room. Love lots of things about it like the song mode and the mixer page. Rearranging the sounds on the grid? Brilliant. Plus, it looks like you've snuck in a 16 track 16-step sequencer in there with the melodic mode (of course now I want MIDI note output too, greedy bastard). And oh, damn, that swing is what I'm talking about. Delicious.

not greedy in the least, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a complete drum machine. Appreciate all of your suggestions.

• @syrupcore said:
    Diode108 want it even more now after watching Mr. Doug's video—as it often the case with The Sound Test Room. Love lots of things about it like the song mode and the mixer page. Rearranging the sounds on the grid? Brilliant. Plus, it looks like you've snuck in a 16 track 16-step sequencer in there with the melodic mode (of course now I want MIDI note output too, greedy bastard). And oh, damn, that swing is what I'm talking about. Delicious.

Me too. I've already got hundreds of drum machines but this one is definitely loosening the hold I have on my wallet...

• @syrupcore said:

Yeah, I was wondering if someone would want MIDI note out. Note Mode was meant to provide exquisite control over pitched drums (like toms, congas, and bass drum), but it was just so fun on claves and cymbals that we started throwing in some other instruments and things got a bit out of hand. :-) And now we have this fun melody maker workflow. But there are no note lengths, so I don't see Note Mode as a piano roll.

• edited April 2015

Folks, 1.0.2 is live in the app store.

Whew!

Hopefully this fixes the people who can't launch. If you still can't launch after installing, please contact us through our support page so we can learn more.

• thks so much ! By far the most exciting drum machine app!

• I would like to be able to skip through the different kits by tapping up/down buttons preferably on all pages. Tapping on the drum kit name should let me browse kits directly too and selecting/tapping a kit should load it right away as well. This would make looking for the right kit much quicker than the way it is now. Maybe a tap and hold could be used for saving new kits.

• @Munibeast said:
    I would like to be able to skip through the different kits by tapping up/down buttons preferably on all pages. Tapping on the drum kit name should let me browse kits directly too and selecting/tapping a kit should load it right away as well. This would make looking for the right kit much quicker than the way it is now. Maybe a tap and hold could be used for saving new kits.

Always a good notion.

• @Munibeast said:
    I would like to be able to skip through the different kits by tapping up/down buttons preferably on all pages. Tapping on the drum kit name should let me browse kits directly too and selecting/tapping a kit should load it right away as well. This would make looking for the right kit much quicker than the way it is now. Maybe a tap and hold could be used for saving new kits.

Thanks. Good ideas.

• edited April 2015

What's New in Version 1.0.2

• Fixes Dropbox connection issue.

• Necessary folders automatically created when user firsts links app to Dropbox.

• Corrects placement of Disco patterns file.

• Fixed an issue that could cause app to fail to launch (iOS 7 only).

• Improved crash analytics.

• Launches again on ios 7. Will report back any issues. Thanks.

• Great app !

• @Munibeast said:
    I would like to be able to skip through the different kits by tapping up/down buttons preferably on all pages. Tapping on the drum kit name should let me browse kits directly too and selecting/tapping a kit should load it right away as well.

+1. I want every music app on iOS to work this way. I still tap the preset name in iSEM as if it were going to suddenly wake up and do something useful.

• @Diode108 said:
    What's New in Version 1.0.2

Congrats on finding that ios7 bug and nice work getting a fix out so fast!

• @kobamoto said:
    if not already, please make it that all of the audio exporting exports seamless loops or at least as an option. and please if you will individual track export of whole song + stereo mix.

Regarding the seamless loops. This sounds cool to me, but I'm trying to understand how it works.

Assume we have one pattern and we want a seamless loop of it. That means that a hit with a long tail on step 16 will wrap around to the start. So how do you use this? With a non-seamless-loop single pattern intro? Fade in? Can't just start the seamless loop cold, right?

• @syrupcore said:
    Congrats on finding that ios7 bug and nice work getting a fix out so fast!

Thank you. It was a bit harrowing, but easy to fix once we reproduced it.

• @syrupcore said:
    +1. I want every music app on iOS to work this way. I still tap the preset name in iSEM as if it were going to suddenly wake up and do something useful.

Yeah, I want this too.

• @Diode108 said:
    Assume we have one pattern and we want a seamless loop of it. That means that a hit with a long tail on step 16 will wrap around to the start. So how do you use this? With a non-seamless-loop single pattern intro? Fade in? Can't just start the seamless loop cold, right?

Best implementations for this generally have these three options:

1. Just truncate it
    2. Blend the tail into the start of the sample (mix it in; have to watch for >0db)
    3. Include the tail (no longer a perfect loop)
  • edited April 2015

So 2 is what you want on export, right? And when using, you ramp it in, use it X times, then ramp it out. And it probably needs to be sample accurate to your bpm to be useful? Or you stretch in your DAW?

• edited April 2015

Depends on how I'm going to use them. Yes, sample accurate, please, for most any situation.

Those three options sort of became standard in pro apps because they map to how you'd wind up using it in a DAW context, or what you're calling ramping I think. Imagine I export my drum loop three times, once each with each one of the above options. In my DAW timeline, a 16 bar section would look something like: [1:no tail, clean start] [2:looped tail](*14) [3:included tail]. Actually, [3] is a little trickier: you lay it on the timeline, split it at loop point, delete the main loop and bump the tail up next to [2]

But @kobomato is the one that requested the feature and I dunno how he'd use it. Me, I want MIDI sync so I don't need to deal with this sort of stuff any more. :)

• edited April 2015

We could use three beta testers. We prefer people who have gained a bit of Diode-108 familiarity over the last week, and who have used AudioShare or AudioCopy in other apps. If you've ever been a beta tester before, or if you feel that you are willing to put in some time and give us useful feedback, that's a plus. We ask that you not publicly discuss any surprise features you see that are being worked on (because they aren't done!).

Email the support address at our website, telling us how much of the profile above you match. If you hit us too late, we might ask you to join later. We'll be looking for beta testers for other features soon.

• Not to change the subject but I decided to Diode based on the comments here. A special shout out to the developer who has been an active participant in the thread.

• edited April 2015

@mkell424 said:
    Not to change the subject but I decided to Diode based on the comments here. A special shout out to the developer who has been an active participant in the thread.

Great! Thanks for buying our app! We've just started seeing reviews in the app store. Really appreciate those who have taken the time to rate (and especially review) us.

• @mkell424 said:
    Not to change the subject but I decided to Diode based on the comments here. A special shout out to the developer who has been an active participant in the thread.

Same here. It's nice to know there's an active roadmap. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. (Hopefully there'll be midi file export, at some point).

• edited April 2015

@rocco said:
    Same here. It's nice to know there's an active roadmap. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. (Hopefully there'll be midi file export, at some point).

Hi rocco. Would MIDI file export capture the work done in Note Mode, or simply triggers for 16 voices?

• To be honest, I just downloaded the app and haven't had a chance to play with it, yet, so I'm not familiar with the different modes, but... I think it would be handy to be able to export any songs or patterns as midi files so they can be worked on in a DAW, iOS or desktop, with different instruments.

• edited April 2015

@mkell424 said:

Same and same. Nice work Diode fam.

@Diode108 said:

rocco said: Same here. It's nice to know there's an active roadmap. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. (Hopefully there'll be midi file export, at some point).

Hi rocco. Would MIDI file export capture the work done in Note Mode, or simply triggers for 16 voices?

The note mode is the challenge—same problem MPCs and the like have. With something like Diode108, you might start with triggers only on CH10 (different note per track ala GM drums) and eventually add the ability to include any Note Mode tracks as separate midi channels to the file.

• Yeah, that's solid thinking. I suspect that Diode users will use the Note mode more and more as they get settled into the app.

• Purchased yesterday based on the active participation of the Dev and the positive direction of development. Diode has so far proven to be a really sweet sounding groove machine.