Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Diode-108 Drum machine out with Audiobus!

Comments

• @solador78 said:
    Just picked it up. Good first impression and it almost suits my needs very well. I would like to be able to adjust the number of bars in a pattern though. Minimum 2, but ideally 8 bars per pattern. Maybe it's there and I just missed it, but I'm too lazy to name a bunch of 1 bar patterns and arrange them in song mode. Also, a flat skin might be nice, like the special fx list, but with simpler icons. Last thing would be Audiocopy, like many people have said. Overall it's a great start and I like the app.

Thanks.

I understand. Right now it definitely wants you to name a lot of patterns. :-) We've had many discussions about how to do what you're talking about.

• @Diode108 said:
    I understand. Right now it definitely wants you to name a lot of patterns. :-) We've had many discussions about how to do what you're talking about.

Would be a major plus.

• Launched Diode,first attempt ok. Relaunched a second time instant crash!
    Reinstallled, the same again! Anyone else having problems? Crash on launch in AB aswell.
    Ipad3 32gb ios 7.1.2

• Yes, it's crashing for me now too.

Few more suggestions: I would prefer if the sample labels on the Pattern tab accessed the sample load pop-up menu, instead of being used to re-arrange the order of the samples. And it would be nice to save and load kits and projects from the Pattern tab. Ideally, I'd like to spend 99% of my time on the Pattern tab, once the crash issue has been fixed. Thanks again.

• edited April 2015

There is 16 vertical parts on the Drum Machine button.

I want some light automatically turned on for each of the 16 parts! So I can easily adjust what vertical part of the knobs. And this new "light on" represents which of the horizontal instrument part of the Pattern section I am using.

Right now, it is quite complicated to flip back and forth between Pattern and Drum Machine buttons to check!

• edited April 2015

@Bitmapper said:
    Launched Diode,first attempt ok. Relaunched a second time instant crash!
    Reinstallled, the same again! Anyone else having problems? Crash on launch in AB aswell.
    Ipad3 32gb ios 7.1.2

We have two similar reports, sadly. This is now our top priority.

We have not reproduced it yet. We were just emailed a very useful screenshot of the crash. Hoping to fix asap. Sorry folks.

For those crashing, what exactly happens? Does it just shutdown or is there something on the screen?

I believe all four reports are from iOS 7.1.2. if anyone is having this with a later OS, please let me know asap.

If this is happening to anyone else, please message me here or email our support. [email protected]

• Ah-ha! Been waiting on this one Sir Doug. Also impressed with the fact that @Diode108 is paying attention here.

• Yeah it is good JG, and i do think its a great app

• Nicely done. Enjoyed it. I'm going to buy this for sure, and through TSTR (of course!), but I'm holding out for audioshare or copy/paste etc. I don't have many principles, but to this one I'm holding on :) Thanks Sir Doug.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Nicely done. Enjoyed it. I'm going to buy this for sure, and through TSTR (of course!), but I'm holding out for audioshare or copy/paste etc. I don't have many principles, but to this one I'm holding on :) Thanks Sir Doug.

I admire your principle. We will endeavor to rectify the gap.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Nicely done. Enjoyed it. I'm going to buy this for sure, and through TSTR (of course!), but I'm holding out for audioshare or copy/paste etc. I don't have many principles, but to this one I'm holding on :) Thanks Sir Doug.

in it's entirety.

• @Diode108

put the copy/paste feature in, raise the price hike to $60,

I will help you to call @JohnnyGoodyear in!

• Here is a launch shot ,part portrait/part landscape .Previous shots were all in landscape.
    Don!t know if the shot will appear as this is the first time I've attached a file.hope this helps.

• edited April 2015

Thanks @Bitmapper. How horrible.

Does it stay like this or exit out?

• Launch the UI - shows the default page for about 2 seconds,then crashes .
    Double click,the icon's still there,swipe to clear! Great app by the way and confident
    you' llfix it.
    This is a very good example of quick interaction between the user & the Dev!

• @Bitmapper said:
    Launch the UI - shows the default page for about 2 seconds,then crashes .
    Double click,the icon's still there,swipe to clear! Great app by the way and confident
    you' llfix it.
    This is a very good example of quick interaction between the user & the Dev!

Yes we will figure it out.

• Holding out as well. Want the library and really like the UI but need MIDI Sync before it will work for me.

• Some good news. We've found and fixed one problem that is affecting iOS 7 users. We suspect there is one more. We'll get something in Apple's queue tomorrow to fix at least some of our iOS 7 users. We're adding more crash analytics to make sure future problems are easier to fix.

• @syrupcore said:
    Holding out as well. Want the library and really like the UI but need MIDI Sync before it will work for me.

Hey syrupcore, you need it to follow MIDI sync, generate MIDI sync, or be able to do both?

• I spent some time with Diode and came up with some suggestions. You can get pretty creative with this app. I am coming up with some pretty interesting things. Pardon me if any of these have already been mentioned or are already in place.

-Solo button on FX page.

-Background audio should stay chosen. This should be in prefs.

-Playback indicator on Drum Machine page i.e.: instrument button lights on hit.

-Clear can be entire pattern or chosen instrument.

-Controls for delay and reverb on FX page too small and close to edge of screen.

-Tempo-sync indicators for synced FX I.e.: the delay. Choice to not be tempo-synced.

-Clarify how certain settings interact. For instance the pan setting on the drum Machine page and Pan on the FX page.

-Ability to load Drum Kits on Pattern page.

-Way to reset an effect on FX page to default.

-Record movement of FX sliders.

-Choices for metronome sounds so they don't get lost in the mix. Metronome volume. Different and obvious sound for "one".

-Instrument names change when replaced. This is big because you can't see the proper instrument name on the other pages.

-Mute/Solo on Pads page.

-Erase function per pad on Pads page.

-Variable quantize on Pads page.

-Consistency in sounds. There is, for instance, one kit that has soft, medium and loud snares that all sound the same.

-When loading sounds go back to the kit you last loaded from and not the currently loaded kit.

-Flanger/phaser effect

• @anickt

Thanks. Great feedback! Some of these have been asked for, but it's good know know what common desires are.

Re: Instrument names. You can change them in the same dialog you load. Have you tried that? If that's not what you mean, help me understand.

Re: Settings interaction. The setting on Drum Machine vies defines the default. Changes you make in FX view override the default. You can reset a step's override back to default by double-clicking the slider. Seems like I need that in the manual, and maybe it can be the subject for a video tutorial.

• Thanks @Flo26. The audio latency should be no more than 128, but I'm not sure about lag before it gets to the audio system. I suppose that's an R&D problem to see how we're handling the touch input, the message passing to the audio system, etc.

• @Diode108 said:
    Thanks Flo26. The audio latency should be no more than 128, but I'm not sure about lag before it gets to the audio system. I suppose that's an R&D problem to see how we're handling the touch input, the message passing to the audio system, etc.

Oh wait, I'm wrong. The internal latency in our app is 128, but the actual latency depends on our interaction with the iPad's audio. Anyway, we'll mark this down for R&D.

• @Diode108 said:
    anickt

Re: Instrument names. You can change them in the same dialog you load. Have you tried that? If that's not what you mean, help me understand.

Yes - I see that but why not have it default to the new instrument name (which I think would be the most likely choice) with the option to change it if wanted. That way you would have the name you preferred or the name of the new instrument as opposed to the name of the instrument you are replacing which doesn't really make sense.

Thanks for your great customer service!

• @anickt Oh I get it. Yeah, makes sense.

• @anickt Great list and @Diode108 I know that ultimately things are judged on what actually gets done/improved/updated, but you are good example of what happens when a dev. pays close attention in an open manner to what is a well-intentioned and well-informed free focus group :) Invaluable product/market research. And a lot of goodwill precisely because of your interaction.

Look forward to seeing what your colleagues can get done. I don't expect everything on the list (all lists are endless :), but there is still room for a dominant drum machine in this market; perhaps Diode108 will become that...

• @Diode108
    Hey syrupcore, you need it to follow MIDI sync, generate MIDI sync, or be able to do both?

Never mind there are too many tiny details, but the feature I really want is to sit and sync well in the IAA slot of Cubasis and Auria. Thank you.

• We have a build that we are prepping for Apple to fix the iOS 7 problem for most users. I don't think it will fix all iOS 7 users, but I think it will fix most. We will be requesting expedited approval. This was a bug that could take up to a couple days to happen, so it was not pleasant to find.

For those still affected after the update (maybe just 1 or 2 people, I think) upgrading to the new version and running it will give us more info, and hopefully we can put this issue to bed and move on to making the app better for everyone.

We apologize to all those affected, and we have added more crash analytics to the app to help us fix issues more rapidly in the future.

Please keep suggestions coming. We are logging them and will prioritize them Monday.

• Update: We were finally able to reproduce the worst bug on our iOS 7 device, and it went away with our new version. Our best guess is that what we submitted to Apple may fix the block for all iOS 7 users.