Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Warming up to IOS 8

edited April 2015 in App Tips and Tricks

So. I've been sitting on IOS 7 air one for quite some time now and having mini retina as ios8 test station didn't help in making me want to move. I am an avid Loopy user and my loopy based set up on 8 just wasn't cutting it.

This however is now changing. I updated to the latest Loopy and while it started causing some live input audio glitches on my IOS 7 device, I seem to have found a way of making it stable on mini retina IOS8. The only tweak I'm using is that I downgraded Audiobus to the previous version (2.1.4).

I thought I'd share this with those who like myself have been inhabiting the rather absoletely uncomfortable place called IOS 7. I haven't tested it for any considerable amount of time but the initial signs are good.

Comments

• sounds good!
    if only iOS 8.3 brings back support for the midi keyboards that are no longer working under iOS 8 ... then all would be good

• edited April 2015

I am trying very hard to not but all my Easter eggs (and I have a lot) in the 8.3 basket.

@supadom glad to hear your report on Loopy. I was working with it last night for the first time in a long time and suddenly leapt forward with it to the point of realizing -again- how much subjectivity there is with apps ('It sucks!' 'It's average!') as a result of user suckage and averageness. I think it might have a future :)

• What MIDI keyboards are no longer working under iOS 8? That's disturbing news. One more reason I'm staying in 7.x.

• I don't think there is an official (or unofficial) list, but apparently it's mostly keyboards with more than 49 keys. I have one from icon with 61 keys that is no longer supported in iOS 8, while my korg microkeys with 25 keys still works fine. Some folks with m audio keyboards are reporting these issues as well.

There is some speculation that the bigger keyboards draw slightly more energy so Apple removed support by changing how much energy an external device is allowed to draw from the iPad. If this is true, it would be easy for Apple to fix the issue.

I keep my fingers crossed that 8.3 is solving this issue, along with the other music related issues of iOS 8.

• I use my M-audio with 61 through a powered hub and I've had no problems with it.

• I think it is very unlikely that more keys cause more power draw. Anyhow that probably can be worked around using a USB hub.

• it is also possible that the changes to how audio is handled in iOS 8 broke the compatibility for some midi keyboards

@supadom I'm not an expert but I've seen Korg recommend powered usb hubs for their 61 micro keys whereas the 25 don't need one so I assume in some cases more keys may need more power?

it is all mysterious in any case, some keyboards stopped working under iOS 8, some work fine as with iOS 7

• edited April 2015

Sorry I didn't mean to question what you've said. I'm no expert either just thinking that if there is a difference in power draw between different versions of the same keyboard, it is probably minimal.

I've been eyeing samson graphite 49 but that also has a huge LCD to boot. I better do some research whether it works or not.

Either way I'm cooling my IOS 8 love for now. I started getting glitches while using some turnado effects. I'll stick with 7 until they've ironed out bugs with air 2 and then probably jump on that, or maybe mini 3?

• @supadom stick with ios7...I have the mini retina on ios8 like you and miss my old ipad3 with ios7. Sure ,better performance ,but not stable for any serious recording. Random glitches ruin every joy of recording...It's hard finding a mini retina or air with ios7 nowadays.

• @supadom said:
    Sorry I didn't mean to question what you've said. I'm no expert either just thinking that if there is a difference in power draw between different versions of the same keyboard, it is probably minimal.

this makes sense, it should be minimal -- maybe it is the extra features in the larger ones that consume more power

I've been eyeing samson graphite 49 but that also has a huge LCD to boot. I better do some research whether it works or not.

Either way I'm cooling my IOS 8 love for now. I started getting glitches while using some turnado effects. I'll stick with 7 until they've ironed out bugs with air 2 and then probably jump on that, or maybe mini 3?

Sounds smart. I'll stick with 7 for now, hoping for a fixed 8.3 or 9.1

• @supadom said:
    I updated to the latest Loopy and while it started causing some live input audio glitches on my IOS 7 device, I seem to have found a way of making it stable on mini retina IOS8.

I have stuttering with the lastest update as well; see http://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/2625/stutter-in-latest-version-of-loopy-hd