Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video Demo and Review of Guitarism, the new version.

This video shows the new version of Guitarism and includes some examples of recording the app with Cubasis and using it with FX. Great job by Rhism and Ryan.

Comments

• Awesome! Thanks so much for making this and for all the really nice things you said. That was great. :-) "The Rhism and The Ryan" !! heh I like that. The audiobus panel appears upsides down because Guitarism freezes the rotation and I think because of that the audiobus panel isn't sure which way is up. :-) Now off I go to share the hell out of this. :-)

• Your more than welcome it's a great app, nice work, I love it because I dont have to think you know it's like I want some guitar and Guitarism is there and the strumming is flawless. Now go and listen to my corny and silly Audiobus jingle.

• Actually, if you access the Guitarism options sidebar, the Audiobus panel then decides to invert itself and appears the right way up, so something in the app is setting which way up it appears.

• @PaulB It's that the rotation gets frozen.. When you open the menu it does correct itself. If you want to assure yourself that it isn't the AB panel then double press the home button and you'll see that it is actually all of iOS that's upside down.. :-)

• You're right - it just sounds great! Nice vid.

• edited April 2013

@Ryan Interesting. I wonder what it is about showing the menu that allows it to correct itself.

• @paulB maybe the text?

• If I ever get myself a Mac Mini, I may find out, as I have some ideas for an iOS app.

• @thesoundtestroom Awesome video, thanks Doug! Great choice of chords and overall arrangement.

The orientation stuff is all by design actually, as in I very intentionally put in some logic in guitarism to flip the orientation around depending on whether the in-app menu is up or not. Basically the issue is that the iOS notifications window comes crashing down on top of your app if you swipe the screen a certain way. When you're playing guitarism, unless I do these little shenanigans to flip the orientation around, you're going to end up seeing your notifications window all the time. So by default when the in-app menu is off, the screen is rotated upside down so that you have to swipe up from the bottom to get the notifications window (which never happens accidentally while you're playing) rather than swiping down from the top (which happens quite often while you're playing). But when the menus come up I switch it around because some of the menu options require keyboard input and of course you want that keyboard to show up right-side up.

The first time I ran into this issue, it took me like a week to figure out what was going on. Back then there was no notifications window, but iOS would just magically eat up any touches that swipe down from the top of the screen, and the app wouldn't see them. Would cause a lot of strums to go missing.

Just one example of the borderline-ridiculous things guitarism does to try to make the strumming experience as seamless as possible. Unfortunately, things like the AB control panel suffer in the process.

• Nice to know why it appears to be upside down!

• That makes sense now

• I figured it was probably intentional.