Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Question - Which DAW has dynamic volume per instrument pad?

edited April 2013 in General App Discussion

Not really an audiobus question though. One of the things I like about the Kong drum designer in Reason is that if you click on the bottom of a drum pad, the sound is quieter, and if you click near the top you get the full sound, and I believe this feature can be toggled on or off. I can get a ton of dynamics into beats from that, and obviously Figure shares that, but with its many limitations.

My question is whether any of you are aware of whether this feature exists in a current iOS DAW. I have Beatmaker 2, Nanostudio, and GarageBand. I don't think I'm coming across this feature which would allow volume input on the pad directly, and through the automation of the note entry, capture it.

I suppose if I had a multisampling keyboard with velocity detection that might work, but I can't quite figure it out now for some reason. Maybe use something like Animoog's midi-out to thumbjam out to audiobus, but then I lose automation.

Or maybe I need a midi-designer app to do this sort of thing now, but the app would have to support midi control of level.

So, that is my train of thought, help!!!

Comments

• Orphion with Midi can maybe produce what your looking for with expressive play, also Seline Ultimate can generate some pretty expressive play and use Midi

• Interesting suggestion, and I luckily have them both already.

Obviously this isn't in Cubasis or the 4pockets apps right?

• Not sure if this answers your question directly but have you looked into DrumAGog plugin for Auria? I havent delved that much into yet but i believe that depending on the volume of each kick/snare, will trigger a diff sample in the selected "gog". I also have been using Impaktor for more drum dynamics.

Lastly, kind of a running joke around this forum due to price, but the $150 app Different Drummer might have that feature although nobody here has tried it to speak about the features.

• Cubasis has this.

• Yes Cubasis pads are louder in the middle, quieter towards the edges.

• Ahh I forgot about that

• I don't think Different Drummer has a playing surface, let alone pads. It's all controlled by 'waves'.

• edited April 2013

Interesting. I have been avoiding Cubasis up until now as it just doesn't seem to offer much over Beatmaker 2, and I don't really feel Cubasis can currently justify its price point, especially against Auria.

This, however, may be beneficial to me for certain types of tracks. Does it have the same type of thing for its keys? I also have to ask, how much quieter are the pads on the sides, and is it in any way adjustable? I guess it's time I grab their manual and see what's up.

I haven't picked up drumagog at all yet, as I'm more interested in tracking great sounds than replacing poor ones, but it is inevitable that I'll pick it up and use it for something eventually.

I've got impaktor, and I am taking sounds from it.

What I'd ideally like is a more dynamic beat pad where I could put one sample on the left side of it, another on the right, have the top be loud and bottom be quiet (all of this is how Figure's instruments work). I'd even like the pad to respond to different striking velocity, and possibly play different samples based on that velocity, all user configurable, of course. I'm just feeling I'm not able to get enough dynamism out of my other DAWs at the moment.

Different Drummer priced at .99 would likely be too much. The Apps4iDevices vid laid that sucker bare. You'll get 10 times better drums out of the .99 Figure any day of the week. Now if only Figure would get some midi out, more bars, and more configurability over its rhythms and sounds, that would pretty much smoke everything else.

I'm still hoping Beepstreet puts together the drum machine based on Impaktor he was suggesting late last year, and maybe incorporates this dynamism.

• MIDI Designer is an easy app to create your own drum pads that can have variable volume like this. Make two big pads like you said, or a screen full of smaller pads.

It's super easy to build a pad layout and bind each pad to whatever cc or note you want. That way you can send MIDI to any DAW or drum machine app in the background. The latency is under 5ms when controlling other apps in the background, in my experience its not even noticeable for playing drums.

Try out the free version, MIDI designer Lite, it has full functionality of the Pro version, but you can only create 12 pads, knobs, faders, etc

• You can sort of do this in NanoStudio. On the TRG, there's a velocity knob on the main left screen (the one with the autobeat buttons). You can manipulate that in real time while recording a part. I use it a lot.

• @AQ808 - wow, i actually never realized Figure had that feature. I havent used it since last year but I now have a greater level of appreciation for it. Thanks for pointing that out. Also thanks for heads up on Beepstreet coming out with an Impaktor drum machine. If its anything like Impaktor, it'll be one of my top go to apps.