Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video Tutorial: Using PolyChord to control multiple apps using virtual MIDI

edited April 2013 in App Tips and Tricks

In the video I control 3 instruments in iPolySix(synth1,synth2,arp), drums from DrumJam, and the bass from the Beatmaker2 keyboard sampler using audiobus. It all could be recorded into beatmaker by hitting the record button. You can sub any app you want in the place of the ones i used which may yield better results. The iPolySix is a beast. :-)

Hope you enjoy.

Comments

• Been looking for something like this. I've figured most of it out on my own but still need help on some of the things, its laid out well once I know what I'm doing

• @JMSexton What did you need help with? The layout is good all I could ask for is more customization especially with the midi.

• Brilliant video..that made things very clear. Thanks.

• Good job between you and @thesoundtestroom ya'll should start a music app video blog with reviews, tutorials, etc

• Wow totally typed that comment before anyone else commented and then it refreshed and @thesoundtestroom commented.... It must be mean your meant to do it haha

• Ryan.very helpful vid.
    Thanks for taking the time.

• Very useful information, clearly presented. I look forward to more like this :)

• @Ryan Thanks man. I was assigning strum and chords to different channels in ST but didn't realize I could do that for drums etc. nice video.

• Thanks everyone. Glad it was of some help :-)

• Very clear and useful video!

• Thanks so much @ryan for taking the time to put this together!

• edited April 2013

Hey @Ryan and @polochordapp, I can't find any information related to MIDI clock neither here on the forum nor on your website.
    Does it receive or send clock?
    The app looks amazing, gorgeous and really fun to use but it'd be even better if it could send or receive clock :)

(Just to be clear, I haven't bought the app yet. Yet.)

• The video above shows Ryan sending clock to drumjam.

• edited April 2013

@IcaroFerre It does send clock. Works really well with some apps and not so well with others.. It's the usual iOS clock sync behaivour. For example if i send the clock to DrumJam it works really well where as BM2 takes a while to figure it out and fluctuates around the bpm you intended. :-)

@mgmg4871 actually I disabled the clock inside drumjam.. It will control the patterns with clock and drumjam and midi sent will always be in time. So if you want to use DrumJams internal patterns instead of sending the Polychord drum midi, then use midi clock, but if you are sending the drum midi it'll just come out on time no matter what the bpm is set too. :-)

• @mgm4871 From what I understood from the video Ryan is sending MIDI notes from Polychord to Drumjam. He only turns Voice Input on from Polychord.

I've noticed that Drumjam shows a Clock Input coming from Polychord but, like in Thumbjam, just because it shows a clock input doesn't actually mean that the app is capable of sending clock.

• @Ryan haha sorry, I posted my reply to mgmg4871 before your reply showed up here. Awesome :)
    Btw, thanks for the video and the cool stuff you've posted here before. I've been following the forum since day 1 but I've finally decided to join in.

• @IcaroFerre no probs. :-) thanks for joining in. Good to have you here. :-)

• Trying to get polychord to play nice with sampletank. Set part A to receive on channel 1 set part B to channel 2. So I can get the chord to work or the strum to work but not both at the same time. So then I tried it with Music Studio 2 which works fine for both chording and strumming. Any ideas on getting both to work with Sampletank?

• You have to touch both parts simultaneously in Sampletank after setting channel. Both will be illuminated in red.

• Thank you. I would never have figured that out; worked like a charm!

• You're welcome.

• Good job between you and @thesoundtestroom ya'll should start a music app video blog with reviews, tutorials, etc

:)

• I TOTALLY take credit for all of that by the way

• lol it was already being planned when @JMSexton said that. But it was cool to have reasurance. :-))

• edited May 2013

@Ryan ..Lies!!!! You totally got the idea from me! ; ) haha jk