Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Air 2 problems, and a plea from a developer

Looking through App Store reviews every once in a while, today I discovered that one of my organ apps (Pitea) got a 1-star review with the reason that it does not work well on iPad Air 2. The user did not even bother to contact me to tell me about the issue. A few days ago, another user did better and reported problems with Rooms! on Air 2 (only with 1.5 msec buffer settings, so I did not put this on top of my to-do list).

I have now ordered an Air 2 to be able to track these issues. Please undertand that a typical iOS developer cannot purchase and test with each and every iPad model. We must make assumptions about behaviour and compatibility. Apple did not release any hints that Air 2 would behave other than Air 1. I'm testing on iPad 1,2,3,4 and iPad Mini 2 (for 64 bit) and iOS versions 5,6,7,8. Who would have expected that Air 2 will be such a difficult child?

My plea to users is: Please report all issues. Developers cannot fix bugs that they are not aware of. We depend on your feedback.

Markus

Comments

• edited March 2015

If you think supporting iOS devices is tough you should try web development! I run a web design business, and we have a large number of machines running a variety of platforms, browsers and versions, plus as many mobile and iOS devices as we can afford so we can test customer sites before making them live. Any we don't have are checked via online resources and other developers.

At the end of the day though you can't check every instance of use - so the sign of a good company is how quickly they fix the issues that are reported.

• Well said Markus @polaron_de - Love your apps. Reminded I need to leave a review at the app store.

• @monzo: I worked in web development some years ago and can relate very well to what you say. Also, compared to Android development, developing for iOS is certainly a paradise w.r.t. compatibility issues.

• Usually when i find a repeatable pattern of problems i try to get in touch with the developer(s).
    If the developer doesn't respond within say 2 months well then i guess the negative reviews are in order...

Unfortunately I don't yet own an iPad Air 2 so i can't really dig into proper testing of apps.
    Looking at the crash-logs on my 1st Gen iPad Mini most crashes are caused by memory related issues. 512MB isn't that much nowadays especially when trying to run many apps at the same time, apps go 'silent' when they are flushed out from ram to make room for the app that is running on the screen...

• @polaron_de you think THAT's hard? I washed dishes in a prison for young girls one summer and all they did was complain about the service....Erm. No. Sorry. Old dream.

Shame that our friends at Apple don't issue new kit to all developers. Appreciate your anguish, seems to be an increasing phenomenon.

• Apple and Expedited IOS updates should go hand in hand....unfortunately it feels (for musos) quite the opposite sometimes :(

• @JohnnyGoodyear ;)

ps totally agree with the OP