Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Virtual instrument apps all sound at once when connected to audiobus--how to 'unlayer" them?

I am relatively new to IOS music-making. I am using a Roland RD300 stage piano as a controller (local off setting), and have my iPad air 2 connected via an iRig Pro interface. My controller is transmitting on MIDI channel 1, and apps set to receive on 1 play, apps set to other channels do not--I cannot find a way to have my controller send on all channels at once. At any rate, if I connect two or more virtual instruments apps, such as iLectric Piano and iGrand piano, as inputs in audiobus, they both sound simultaneously, even when the apps are running in the background (and set to NOT play in the background. I started out using Sampletank, and with this app I can switch sounds on the fly and only one sounds, unless I deliberatly layer them. I'd like to load several keyboard and synth apps in audiobus, then play each one and switch between them in live performance. Is this possible using audiobus? Otherwise I would have to go the route of putting each one in the background and opening the other, which is not practical for performance. I can make it work by running it through Auria, if I record enable the track I want to play, but this is tough to do quickly, it seems. I'm trying to figure out if I can get each app to be on a different MIDI channel, but the keyboard would have to transmit on all channels. Or would an app such as Cubasis, with various instruments loaded via MIDI, allow me to switch by tapping each track while playing live along with a band or pre-existing tracks. Sampletank is great, but some individual instrument apps are better quality (Galileo organ beats any of Sampletanks' organs by a lot, for example). I have worked with MIDI and VST's on my PC for years, but the IOS stuff and IAA is very new to me. IAA seems to work ok, but I love having Audiobus as the control hub for what I am doing. I hope my question is clear, and if not, I will clarify further. Hope some IOS guru will have a suggestion or response. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• What you are talking about is MIDI basically, and Audiobus has no MIDI functionality. It's just for routing digital audio. You might want to try out Midibridge, it has routing options including a customizable 'scenes' feature that might work for you...

• thanks, I will check this out.

• Try to set the input channel of each instrument/app to a different value, this way each can receive MIDI data in a separate channel.