Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good News for Air2 folks.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but it seems Michael has dramatically improved performance in Loopy and Audiobus for Air2.

Comments

• This is interesting, great work!

I wonder if the scrollview bug is related to this behavior in the new devices...the scrolling 'animation' interfering with audio rendering now that the audio isn't in a prioritized thread anymore...

• very interestings, yeah nice to have a possible explanation for the scrollview culprit

• Nice work, @Michael! Also, long live Alfred. :)

• Great find. It's too bad developer's have to find this out on their own rather than Apple giving them a heads up.

• Fantastic Michael, you've made my ipad air 2's tail wag, oh no, I'm getting audio glitches while my ipad is rendering the tail wag animation, when do you start work on the ios update, I'm beginning to believe apple's ios devs are drunk at the wheel.

• @mister_rz said:
    when do you start work on the ios update

That's such a good idea. If only! Having said that, I've found workarounds for most of the issues I've encountered on Air 2 with glitching so far. Would be sweet to have it running totally smoothly, though. Would stop me thinking of upgrading to an original Air ;)

• Now there's a candidate for the Jonatan Liljedahl Award!

• @Flo26 said:
    This guy is so competent.amazing!

+1000

• Hehe, thanks you guys =) (and yep, @mmp, this is the same as the scroll view issue Rim noticed)

• edited February 2015

Guys, game theory. Got to keep the beast fed but still hungry otherwise he sloughs off to the dark end of the cave and considers himself done for the day etc.

• i bet this is the same issue with Korg Gadget also....the one that Peter321 did the vid for...

• Good to know its not hardware related

• edited February 2015

Thanks Michael for sharing this info. The thing that annoys me is that this is most likely an issue for almost every music app, as they all have some sort of animation or other things going on (even if it is just blinking LEDs). How many of these smaller devs are going to bother looking into fixes for this model-specific issue when they already have their hands full just trying to get core functionality like MIDI working properly?

I don't like the idea that my latest gen device has reduced potential in a sense (for audio work) due to this change in behaviour that was not clearly communicated by Apple. I understand when Michael says that this is not inherently bad overall for these devices and he's not sure yet how he feels about the change in prioritization, but this is coming from a guy who has the resources and determination to do things correctly. How many others can say the same thing?

• Douze points for Michael!

• edited February 2015

@Michael: did you sent a bug report to apple?They need more kicks in their butt from as many developer as possible :)

Here is this very sad comparison video again how Gadget becomes a glitch fest with just 8 tracks on Air 2:

• edited February 2015

Let's just all hope that iOS8.2/iOS9 will re-introduce realtime-priority to audio-threads...

These kinds of 'issues' make me hold back on a purchase of an iPad Air 2 as Gadget is one of my most frequently used apps...

• I don't think it's a problem. it's just requires programmers to adopt a new approach.

• Nadav said:
    I don't think it's a problem. it's just requires programmers to adopt a new approach.

I don't think this will happen in Auria,i assume it would need a lot of rewritten code but they already have a huge amount of work with the"Pro"upgrade.And Rim already mentioned the Pro version use the same scrollview.Unfortunately i don't think we will see a fix for this in Gadget anytime soon as well.Both are my most important apps.Good for you that you don't think it's a problem.For ME it's a HUGE problem ;)

• edited February 2015

@Crabman said:
    I don't think this will happen in Auria,i assume it would need a lot of rewritten code but they already have a huge amount of work with the"Pro"upgrade.And Rim already mentioned the Pro version use the same scrollview.Unfortunately i don't think we will see a fix for this in Gadget anytime soon as well.Both are my most important apps.Good for you that you don't think it's a problem.For ME it's a HUGE problem ;)

According to Michael this problem comes from animation runing simultaneously with the audio so i don't think much coding is required to fix this. Just some tweaks to the animation. Certainly no rewritten code. And once the fix comes we might even gain a prefromance boost as Apple probably intended.

• But what if a lot more animations are running,not just the few Audiobus"arrows"?I'm thinking about a full track in Auria with all the metering and animations everywhere,especially in the mixer window...As i said,the new Auria update won't change anything on that matter.But i already posted the video in the Auria forum,hope dies last ;)

• edited February 2015

Lets hope Rim can still do somthing about this. I got my fingers crossed.

• Ah,you are fast :) I want to say scratch what i wrote about Auria,here's what Rim said:

"Yes, I've talked with Michael about this last week. It's definitely related. Auria doesn't use Core Animation, but the workaround I already have in place uses the same trick he discovered.

Rim"

Anyway,i still don't think Korg will fix it soon.They can be veeeery slow.

• edited February 2015

Yesss! Thats great news. Spring can't come fast enough.
    also the only animation runing on gadeget during playback is the play head runing. Should be quick to fix.

• edited February 2015

Thanks again to @Michael for showing everyone what's what.
    How you've figured this one out is beoned me.

• edited February 2015

Nadav said:
    Yesss! Thats great news. Spring can't come fast enough.
    also the only animation runing on gadeget during playback is the play head runing. Should be quick to fix.

Although i don't know exactly what he means with"the workarround already in place".There was a fix in a previous version that worked but the mixer scrolling was kind of stuttering.But he removed the fix again and currently i still have a shitload of"low cpu"warnings (and the sequencer stops) when i reach the 40-45% cpu mark.

• Probably because Rim didn't fully understand the "bug" so he manged to put out a half baked fix but didn't replace Apple's core animation completely. So now that everyone is on the loop ;) lets hope they follow suit.

• edited February 2015

I wonder how the the new performance enhancement for the Air 2 compares to the performance of previous devices. Do they perform the same now, or is the Air 2 better or still worse?

And how is this not hardware related if all previous devices running the same iOS version behave differently?

It will be interesting to see if future devices will continue to behave like the Air 2 or if this was some sort of oversight on Apple's part.

• edited February 2015

Of course it has noticeable more power.Roundabout 25-30% more than i had with Mini 2.I can measure this in Auria.And then there was the third core,i see room for more improvements here.And don't let me start talking about the Ram.2GB is a breeze and i don't want to miss it anymore.Not all apps are affected by the"scrollview bug",i don't have a problem with Cubasis for example.In fact,Auria and Gadget are the only ones where i noticed it (nonetheless both are enough to really hurt).

I really like the Air 2,it's definitely the best iPad i've ever had (my 5ths).And i will absolutely fall in love with it IF the nasty bug is fixed or developer found a way arround.According to Rims newest post over at WML forums he was able to improve his workarround a lot so we'll see a better performance in a future version of Auria as well.

• edited February 2015

But more horsepower doesn't mean crap if there is something that is diverting that power from what we want it to do - process audio. It seems to me like older devices followed a better model for processing audio by not allowing animations or whatever to interrupt. I've got an iPad Air 2 and get more glitches on it than my old Air.

What I don't understand is that if this is considered a "bug," which implies it is an unintended software based corruption of some sort, why are developers reworking their apps around it? Are they just trying to compensate for Apple's intentional design change/incompetence? Maybe I just don't understand what is going on, but this whole thing smells funny to me.

• edited February 2015

Although i'd love to see the fix comes from Apples side i think it's a good thing devs try build workarrounds.Apple can be very slow in regards to the "less than 1%" minority the iPad musicians are.

The"normal"user would most probably never notice this,even if it's there.