Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good News for Air2 folks.

Comments

• edited March 2015

@banjofran said:
    J.G. Yes indeed, I should have sent you a personal message instead of posting in the thread but that idea did not occur to me. I do however want to admit in plain view that I was wrong to call you out, and I think it is great that nobody appears to have been offended, I guess the whole Charlie Hebdo affair is still fresh in my mind, I should have been thinking more along the line of Father Ted.

No worries. Rather have a discussion about it in the open than have someone seething about something I had no notion to upset them over. And I hear you on Hebdo. I don't spend much time in synagogues, and I live in Austin, Texas, a radical place, but not an inflamed place, but even so, sitting there amongst 100 family/friends/regular members of the congregation, brought together to simply note and celebrate a young man's next stage of growing up, it did cross my mind how many similar places of apparent peace (and of many different denominations) end up, all of a sudden and out of the blue, on the wrong end of something I just read about on my internet before turning to the sountestroom or the sports pages....

• edited March 2015

For the love of humanity!

• @Crabman said:
    But where is 8.2 ?

Out today

• I found no offense in @JohnnyGoodyear's comments.....just sayin' ;-)

• So regarding this 'Scrollview Bug' it seems that it's only affecting apps like Auria & Gadget and some performance degradation to Loopy. Current Auria doesn't even have retina-resources putting extra load on the iOS to scale up all the resources every time they are viewed, as for Gadget I think Korg will fix this sooner or later.

What about all the other apps like Cubasis or Beatmaker 2 also affected?

I feel this has been blown out of proportion big time...

• @Samu

Audiobus itself is also affected (as pointed out by Michael in his video).

• edited March 2015

I already posted more apps here,previous page i guess.There are far more affected.Cubasis is one of them and only the latest i found out. i didn't realized first because i recently started to create bigger projects again (well,after i discovered that mess in gadget to be more exact).Also Alchemy for example.I rarely used cubasis for cpu intensive tasks before.It shows the same behavior.After some more cpu load,the cpu meter starts to jump like crazy and as soon as i open the inspector,it glitches.Closing the inspector helps but it doesn't disappear.Btw,i'm talking about stuff that is completely made with cubasis,no IAA or AB used.I should be able to do much more with it.Still,it's far better than gadget.Gadget is unusable for me with a max of 8 tracks.Shame.People in the US (with Air 2) should file a lawsuit if it's not fixed in iOS 8.3.We got far less for our money than we had to pay for.Screw you damn ifruit seller.This is what happens when your most important thing are the stockholders and not the customer anymore.

• iOS is just going through growing pains.

• @shortbus said:
    iOS is just going through growing pains.

Possibly, but since you can't decide which os is on your device aside from not upgrading then that is affecting people's productivity. I'm on 7.1.3 and don't have any need to upgrade, but it am starting to see many more App Store updates or descriptions requiring ios8.

I do think there's some bloom coming off of apple's rose in certain areas, but iPhone and high end Mac use seem to still be going very strongly. Either way, i felt no need for an air2 when my air1 is working fine on 7.1.3, my 4s still does what I need, and my black macbook still does office work (well I wish it did it! But it allows me to do it) and runs reaper perfectly when I need it. Even as apple has tried to make some of the devices obsolete, they work so why change? Gosh I sound old!

• @Crabman so the scroll bug occurs in many DAW type apps when you have enough tracks and on non-Air 2 iPads you don't get this issue?

If so, I haven't experienced this bug as I work with relatively few tracks.

• edited March 2015

yes,that's it.But it's NOT only related to DAWs.You can do a quick test yourself with gadget.It's described here:

https://support.korguser.net/hc/communities/public/questions/202004840-Gadget-starts-to-glitch-with-just-EIGHT-tracks-on-Air-2-test-inside-

• I recall from the past when computers got multi-core cpu's that we had these same type of issues and for some apps single-core was more suitable, it all depended on how well the app was 'multi-threaded' and how the tasks are distributed among the available cpu-cores.

The A8X has tree cores, A8 has two cores but still behaves similarly...

This 'issue' could be caused by iOS when it's trying to optimise performance to give priority to apps running on screen while taks that are in the background get lower priority. (For most users the most important is that app in front runs smoothly).

So what i instinctively feel here is that when one or more of the cores gets overloaded we get the glitches when iOS desperately tries to allocate the task between cores.(So for example in gadget the audio-thread might need more than one core to do it's magic so the glitches come when it needs to use more cores).

I don't have an Air 2 to test this but there are good tools to analyse the iPad's performance in Xcode...

• So.. I'm pretty sure there were two major issues, and are they both fixed? There was the scroll view bug or whatever it was called, and that was regarding the animations thing. And then there was the thread management issue, and I think this is addressed in the latest beta. If this new iOS fixes everything and my Air 2 has no more issues, then hot damn!!!

• edited March 2015

Good news for Air 2 folks!

@Ringleader said:
    So.. I'm pretty sure there were two major issues, and are they both fixed? There was the scroll view bug or whatever it was called, and that was regarding the animations thing. And then there was the thread management issue, and I think this is addressed in the latest beta.

I thought the "scrollview/animation bug" was caused by the multithread priority management issue.

• ...still nowhere nearer to figuring out wether I should opt for an air or air2.......anyone out there with definitive experience of both ?

• Me too,

Am eyeing up a 2nd Air, but if the 8.3 fix sorts out gadget (and I don't intend to use Auria), perhaps the Air 2 is still the one to get ?

• @shortbus said:
    I thought the "scrollview/animation bug" was caused by the multithread priority management issue.

Even better then. The only other issue I am aware of is the monitoring delay even when using the headphone jack. I usually use external audio interfaces so it's not too big of a deal to me, but still an issue. Wonder if that has been fixed too?

• Seems to be around a hundred quid difference for what is essentially the air2's A8x chip vs the air's A7.....but if the air2's glitch is not fixable via the os.......then........damn these first world problems !

• I'm in the same boat, be good to have feedback on if the Air2 is better than the older Air, and why.

• I have yet to figure a single good reason to pony up more money for an air 2 given how well the one performs. What could I do with a 2 that the one does not already do for less money? Feeling good about buying the latest thing just does not cut it really, I find no value in a purchase just to keep up with the Latest shiny thing given it's poorer performance and all. It really feels like Apple made the air2 just as a gimmick more or less to separate folks from their hard earned money. I almost went for a two prior to purchasing a one in January this year but am very pleased now that I came to my senses.

• @Paul16 said:
    Seems to be around a hundred quid difference for what is essentially the air2's A8x chip vs the air's A7.....but if the air2's glitch is not fixable via the os.......then........damn these first world problems !

Airs 2's "glitch" has already been fixed with the new OS update beta.

• @monzo said:

...if the Air2 is better than the older Air, and why.

2 GB Ram (seriously,you won't look back after you enjoyed it a bit),better display (much better"feel"as well.The old one feels hollow and somehow cheap),Touch ID (i love to unlock my iPad this way) just to name a few.If they fix(ed) the scrollview bug it will be the best tablet that i can imagine for music making (and anything else.Gaming for example ;)

• Well, finally the good news this thread's title promised!!!

• @Crabman said:

Yeah the RAM should make a big difference and would probably improve Auria performance.

I keep changing my mind.

• Happy to report so far zero ram issue with air one and was lucky enough to get one of the air ones that were not only solid feeling but not hollow in anyway either. It even cost less and had no bugs what so ever from it's arrival at my door. I may look forward to more ram some day if it is ever needed but not even close so far thank goodness and with some of the money saved I just picked up a wicked sounding PA system for my relaunch of the DJ business!

• edited March 2015

Ah...hmmm. I'm still on the fence.

Does iOS 8 take up more disk space? I seem to cope reasonably well with 32gb on iOS 7, most of the good secondhand deals seem to be 16gb though.

• edited March 2015

@monzo You're not on the fence you're impaled by it....

• I recently bought an air2 128g, not sorry at all. Most of my stuff is pretty simple musically but I have never seen the scroll bug. Now I hear that it is gone for good, so I am very happy with my purchase.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    monzo You're not on the fence you're impaled by it....

I hope to be out of the hedge very soon. I have a cunning plan...